We are on a hosted community, do I have to patch this myself or is it done automatically ? I am a bit confused because the files in the patch are clear php but the ones on the server appear to be zend files.
We are currently using IPB 3.4.7 and the latest Nexus and we are getting lots of feedback from people complaining that it's too complicated to complete a purchase with a coupon in our store. Apparently they are having difficulty finding how to enter their code. Honestly, I can easily believe this but I always felt it's not very user friendly. I don't think people should have look for a place to click to say they have a coupon before entering it. The textbox for the code should always be displayed on screen just above the total amount so people would know right away where to enter their coupon code. Will this be changed in the new version or is it going to work the same way. Will we have access to some templates to modify the appearance of the pages in our store ?
Thanks Andrej, I had not seen this. And I don't know why Invision decided to do this but I think forum admins will get lots of questions and complains from members about it. I know I'm rude but it's a stupid change.
I don't know if I should start a new tracker for this or if it's related to this minor detail you mentioned but New Content has been broken completely for me for a day now. Since yesterday, I am getting a "something went wrong" page with error code EX2 whenever I try it.
I can't tell why you are unable to reproduce or what the error 429 has to do with it, it's beyond my knowledge, but to me nothing happening when I click somewhere does seem like an issue that should be addressed.
You say my browser is sending too many requests ? It's not something over which I have any control is it ? I do nothing more than clicking the options that are on the page. I can only assume that the number of requests sent comes from your code. It's not like I am abusing the site, sometimes it does it the very first time I change the content type. And I also have this in IE and Chrome so I don't think my browser is to blame. Also, please keep in mind that I am not the only person who reported this problem . I does feel like it's all down to some issue with flood control not always displaying error messages.
In IPB 3.4, what to search follows where the user is in the site. Example. Board Index: Search option defaults to "Forums". In a forum: Search option defaults to "This forum" In a topic: defaults to "This topic". Same is true if you go to ther apps like Downloads or Members. In 4.0 however, no matter where we are, the search always defaults to "Everything". Is this intended behavior ? It is most annoying to have to change it almost everything we search on something.
This is not a one time issue, at least for me, it happens regularly both in IE and Chrome.
IE show not error but in Chrome I get this. Every time it happens it throws a 429 error. I made a short video, maybe it's gonna help. I runs a little faster than in reality but still demonstrate what happens. Edit: Can't attach the video so here's a link. http://1drv.ms/14YhfZh
It looks like it's going to the correct url but without actually loading it. As a temporary workaround, when you click on a content type and nothing happens, just hit F5 to reload the page. It works for me. http://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/new-content-page-not-refreshed-when-switching-content-type-r37/
Switching content type in "New Content" does not always work. It's hard to say how to reproduce because it's a bit inconsistent but here's how you should be able to reproduce. Click "New Content" Keep changing content type until nothing happens when you click one. No need to rush, I wait about 1 second between each. When nothing happens after you clicked a type, just hit F5 to refresh the page and you'll get it the results.