Photo

Default Skin choices messed up.

The option to set (or un-set) a skin as the default was changed in 3.2.3. You can no longer "un-set" it.

When you edit the settings, that line now just says it's already set as default. No option to change it.

Problem is, BOTH the IP.Board and Mobile skins are still getting set to be the default skin on a fresh install. (I reported that ages ago, was marked "not a bug".)

So, now, you have to edit and save both of them, which oddly enough then sets them both to not be the default.

Then you have to re-edit one and click the box that then appears, to be the default.
  • Wyderovsky likes this

Version: 0
Fixed In: 0

18 Comments

Changed it so they won't both be set as default from now on.
I've reopened this since there appears to be a further related problem, and Jason and I just tore our hair out trying to nail down exactly what happens. Let me detail the steps.

1) Make fresh install

2) go to ACP -> Look & Feel. Both skins show as default. skin_collections table has the correct set_key values of 'default' and 'mobile'

3) Edit the settings for IP.Board. Change nothing, just save the page.
(Note also that you have no option to set the skin as default or "not as default", and further that the Skin Key setting doesn't show up.)

4) After saving, IP.Board is now set to NOT be the default. And skin_collections table now has a blank field for set_key; 'default' got removed.

5) Re-edit the settings for IP.Board. The setting for Skin Key now shows up, but it's blank (and confirms that the set_key is empty per #4).

And unless you enter 'default' in the Skin Key settings box in step 5, when you save it the skin key is still missing from the skin_collections table.

The result of all this, is that apps installed after this point aren't seeing a valid default skin key, so won't import their templates.
And a followup.... the settings box for the Skin Key isn't showing up when you edit the settings page for any non-default skin. Save it that way, and the set_key table entry is wiped out.
This is becoming more and more of an issue as people add new skins, set them as default, and THEN edit any other skin for whatever reason. When saved, the key gets wiped out in skin_collections.
This should fix it.

[attachment=35156:skinDefaultPatch.zip]
It does appear to have solved the issue. Question, though, to make sure what I see is what you intended:

At this point, after applying the patch, the skin key setting in the default skins never appears, regardless whether they're set as default or not. (The key is still properly recorded in the DB, though, and stays there.)

And for 3rd-party skins the setting always appears, which allows them to change it if necessary.

Have I got that straight?
Is that patch in the client center download already? I ask because I still have a site on 3.2.2 and want to upgrade soon.
No it's not at this time...

It does appear to have solved the issue. Question, though, to make sure what I see is what you intended:At this point, after applying the patch, the skin key setting in the default skins never appears, regardless whether they're set as default or not. (The key is still properly recorded in the DB, though, and stays there.)And for 3rd-party skins the setting always appears, which allows them to change it if necessary.Have I got that straight?

Hmmm. I'll check into that. It should just hide the skin key for the default skin at the time. So if you made another skin default, then it will show the skin key for that skin.
Version 3.2.3 community hosting:

How a non dev/coder can fix that?

What should we do step by step?

Thank you!
All my skins have recently messed up, they appear like they contain no css or images. Just blank and all over the place, am i experencing this bug?
Please submit a ticket and we can look for you... thank you
I still get both IP.Board and Mobile set as Default in 3.3.0 Beta 1 but the problem disappears when I install another skin and set that as default. They both now just say Visible.
This is still having problems in places is it fix fix?

does this work for 3.4.x

Updating Fixed In to: 0
Updating Version to: 0

This should not be a problem in 3.4.x

Photo
Troy Spiral
Nov 19 2013 04:44 PM

I cant change the default at all in the newest version.  Its not an option. 

I cant change the default at all in the newest version.  Its not an option. 

File a ticket to support, please.