Photo

Intermittant messenger error

This is (probably) going to be difficult to reproduce, although it has happened a few times before.

It seems to happen to Alεx quite a lot when I send him a PM > http://forums.invisi...ser/109309-alx/ , I wonder if it's anything do to with the non standard characters in the username.

Viewing a members profile and sending a PM, I am unable to as I receive an error message...

Posted Image

Last time this happened, his messenger was not full nor disabled.

Now, if I leave it for an hour or so and go back and try again, it will send :)

:)

Version: 3.0.0 Beta 4
Fixed In: 2.3.0 Beta 1

40 Comments

Errr, that's gonna be difficult to troubleshoot.
Updating status to: Working as Intended

Ok, Resources group has max storable messages at 250 and he has 266 according to the ibf_members table. That's why you get an error (as you should in this case). The only way I could see leaving and coming back doing anything is if he cleared some messages out in that particular time frame.

Bumping this report up, I don't actually have 266 messages :P (Well IPB is telling me I don't) It says I only have 207 (83%), and I still cannot receive messages.

Bumping this report up, I don't actually have 266 messages :P (Well IPB is telling me I don't) It says I only have 207 (83%), and I still cannot receive messages.

Just sent one as a test, it went through although I have not sent you any lately that I recall, so not sure if its happened since or not (or if its related to our secondary groups, or indeed any of our group permissions)

Just sent one as a test, it went through although I have not sent you any lately that I recall, so not sure if its happened since or not (or if its related to our secondary groups, or indeed any of our group permissions)

I tried to add him to a PM conversation and it says he cannot use it or something. He said that it's enabled for him.

And that was around an hour ago, and for reference I have not removed any messages in ages, so its odd how Andy can send one but Wolfies doesn't get through.

The following users cannot use the messaging system: Alεx

That's what I see when I try to add him to a conversation.

I had the same problem with AndyF some time ago but I wasn't able to reproduce it so I didn't report it. (Do you remember Andy? :P)

Definitely something is wrong somewhere.. :ermm:
Updating status to: Confirmed - Ongoing Research

Well, I don't PM alex much, but when I do I've never had any trouble. :unsure:

Wolfie, do you get that everytime you try to add him to a conversation?

After upgrading from 2.3.6 to RC2 (test system with a copy of live data), I had it happen to me. I tried to PM my admin account from my non-admin account and I was told that the admin account was not available for PMs. I then logged in to the ACP and verify that my admin account could receive PMs. I save my profile anyways. I then logged into the board ad admin and read my PMs that were converted from 2.3.6. Then I logged out and logged in as member again and I was able to send my admin account a PM.
Updating status to: Working as Intended

SELECT count(*) FROM ibf_message_topic_user_map where map_user_id=109309

> 254

How bout you just clear out some PM's Alex. :P Then we can see if the issue revolves around you being right at the limit?

But alex said he had only 207 messages :ermm:

Something is wrong in the UCP count then :o

User CP is telling me I only have 208 (Wolfie's got through today). Says I am at 83%, so somethings wrong on that end as well :S
Just a few minutes ago...

Posted Image
Posted Image

Earlier today I was able to send a test PM without any problems. Is there any chance that a setting or indicator is cleared when someone goes to their messenger? If so, that flag could be the culprit. Also, could it be the secondary groups are somehow mixing things up (in some cases)?

Edit:
Just had Alεx go to his messenger (not do ANYTHING else once there) and I was able to add him to a conversation without any problems.

Another edit:
Somehow the count Alεx gets is wrong. I think he's purposely not cleaning out his messenger to help with this bug. But something happens when a person goes to their messenger. Either that or the count isn't being handled correctly because of the new conversation format.

Could one be counting the number of conversations and the other the number of conversation posts?

I've just sent him a message (via the quick popup) , although its a genuine message and not a "test"...

I've just sent him a message (via the quick popup) , although its a genuine message and not a "test"...

Not sure what happened there :unsure:
Updating status to: Confirmed - Ongoing Research

Will see if Matt wants to look into this closer. I don't know how the ucp count gets generated, I posted the query I used though.
Photo
austinreefclub
Jun 23 2009 08:50 PM

Hi, please feel free to look at my board. I am having this issue. Thanks!

Ticket #580892
Someone mentioned that they couldn't PM me because my box was 'full'.. Yet when I look, I'm only at 52% of my quota and even when I went and counted all replies to conversations (then added that to the number of conversations), it's still below my maximum. I even added extra for conversation with more than 1 other person in the convo (ie, two or more people, not counting myself).

Is it possible that there are some PM's that are flagged as being mine but really aren't -or- that are mine but aren't showing up for whatever reason?
Photo
austinreefclub
Jun 29 2009 02:05 PM
I was hoping for a quick hotfix for this issue. I am getting a whole a lot of complaints from my community.
I just tried to invite Alex into a conversation I am having. I couldn't because of this-

The following users cannot use the messaging system: Alεx

Photo
Captain Hunter
Jul 02 2009 02:33 PM

This is (probably) going to be difficult to reproduce, although it has happened a few times before.

It seems to happen to Alεx quite a lot when I send him a PM > http://forums.invisi...ser/109309-alx/ , I wonder if it's anything do to with the non standard characters in the username.

Viewing a members profile and sending a PM, I am unable to as I receive an error message...

Posted Image

Last time this happened, his messenger was not full nor disabled.

Now, if I leave it for an hour or so and go back and try again, it will send :)

We're having exactly the same problem on our board.
Photo
austinreefclub
Jul 02 2009 02:50 PM
Updating status to: OMG! EXTREME CRITICAL EMERGENCY!

The only workaround I have is to set everyone's PM limit to unlimited. Hope we get a fix soon. :)
I actually think the problem is with the special character in the username. My co-admin is having the same issue. Removing it fixes the issue.