Photo

So what would this plug-in cost?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
194 replies to this topic

#181 Guest_IAIHMB_*

Guest_IAIHMB_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:08 PM

Not really true.... A PS2 game is one time fee with no upgrades, the blog is one time free with no upgrades (after one year)

A PS2 you can't upgrade... the blog you can, and if you want to keep doing it, it's gonna cost yes after a year...

I personally feel that 30 would be enough as initial fee... but that's me! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Games are usually tested for periods of time, they don't need to be upgraded. :P

add your local taxes to the PS2 game

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have Playstation 2, Xbox is where it's at in the console world. Xbox games are $45.99 at EBGames, that could be over $50 with the tax, but I'm to lazy to add that in at the moment. :P

Edit: It might be Babbages, not EBGames, but it's one of them. :P

Edited by IAIHMB, 09 November 2004 - 02:09 PM.

#182 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,499 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:55 PM

Dude, either you're rich, or too used to IPS's prices.  $50 is too much unless it's for a lifetime license.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Rich?  Rubbish - it costs less than a PS2 game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then you're too used to IPS's pricing scheme.

I maintain that $50 for a lifetime license would be fair, but for one year, $25.

IPB = $70/year (3 years = $210), lifetime is $199. 3 years and you spend $11 more.
Blog = $25+ $20/year (after the first), 3yrs = $65. $15 more than a lifetime license at $50.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#183 martinjwallace

martinjwallace

Advanced Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:57 PM

Obviosuly I can only speak for my own locality - but over here GTA, san andreas has just been released and is retailing for 39.99. If you look around you can get it cheaper - I've found one for 32.99.

With the current exchange rate yahoo.co.uk says $50 is 26.92 - hell that's cheaper than taking the wife to the cinema for a flick.

And I would still be required to pay for SA even though I might have purchased GTA: Vice City so there is an additional cost to upgrade. Nobody is forcing you to pay the additional ongoing support price for ICB so this comparison stands in my opinion.

If you aint prepared to pay for it fine, go download some other free package and fart around trying to integrate it - but please don't whinge about it. If I was to do that it would certainly take me more than two hours - and at my rates that would be much more than $50.
Martin J Wallace

#184 martinjwallace

martinjwallace

Advanced Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:58 PM

Then you're too used to IPS's pricing scheme.

I maintain that $50 for a lifetime license would be fair, but for one year, $25.

IPB = $70/year (3 years = $210), lifetime is $199.  3 years and you spend $11 more.
Blog = $25+ $20/year (after the first), 3yrs = $65.  $15 more than a lifetime license at $50.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And as I have said before - I think the IPB lifetime license is underpriced.

It would be nice to see a lifetime one for ICB too - I've never denied that.
Martin J Wallace

#185 MrWante

MrWante

Scandinavian

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:28 PM

Games are usually tested for periods of time, they don't need to be upgraded. :P

Maybe not, but there won't be any new features added to the game either! :) At least not on console games....

#186 Wolfie

Wolfie

• +Clients
  • 12,499 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:49 PM

What I find amusing is that I want the get the product, more than willing to pay $20 (frowning on $25 but I'd deal with it), shouldn't even really be considering it but still willing to chance it, and IPS is all but saying that they don't want my money.

Be nice if there were to be a pricing special since it's newly released, like an introductory price. They would have more blogs being sold and raking in more $ than they are right now.

Gallerywise, I'm fiddling around with Coppermine. There's actually a mod for it to make it integrate with IPB. But why haven't I? Because I'm hoping that IPG will go on sale so I can buy it.

IPS has money waiting for them, they just need to open their hand and grab it. For the most part, I tend to take care of my own support.. If they were to offer the product and a license with no included installs or assisted upgrades, I'd buy that if it were low enough. Just make sure I can access the forums here and get updates to the software and I'll be happy.

n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪

Spoiler

#187 Keven Fox

Keven Fox

Quite Opinionated

• +Clients
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:50 PM

What I find amusing is that I want the get the product, more than willing to pay $20 (frowning on $25 but I'd deal with it), shouldn't even really be considering it but still willing to chance it, and IPS is all but saying that they don't want my money.

Be nice if there were to be a pricing special since it's newly released, like an introductory price.  They would have more blogs being sold and raking in more $ than they are right now.

Gallerywise, I'm fiddling around with Coppermine.  There's actually a mod for it to make it integrate with IPB.  But why haven't I?  Because I'm hoping that IPG will go on sale so I can buy it.

IPS has money waiting for them, they just need to open their hand and grab it.  For the most part, I tend to take care of my own support..  If they were to offer the product and a license with no included installs or assisted upgrades, I'd buy that if it were low enough.  Just make sure I can access the forums here and get updates to the software and I'll be happy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very well said, and quite true I should think. :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.c...tton_id=3593168 Donations

Member of the upcoming Saviah Wildlife organization

#188 martinjwallace

martinjwallace

Advanced Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:58 PM

And if you offered Ferrari 20K I'm sure they would give you an Enzo because "they wouldn't want to turn your money away".

That is a lame argument IMHO
Martin J Wallace

#189 Wolfie

Wolfie

• +Clients
  • 12,499 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:18 PM

It's a very valid arguement.

It's like buying a car that automatically comes with the maximum warranty. Let me buy that car without some of the frills (ie, I'll deal without the free oil changes, tire rotations, etc and take care of that myself. I just want updates like if the airbag is faulty, I want that covered).

By the way, your correlation wasn't quite on target. I'm not talking about decreasing the product, I'm talking about decreasing some of the services.

n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪

Spoiler

#190 martinjwallace

martinjwallace

Advanced Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:22 PM

Fair point.

Although I think, in the UK at least, there are certain consumer regulations that would prevent them from doing this IANALT.
Martin J Wallace

#191 Wolfie

Wolfie

• +Clients
  • 12,499 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:37 PM

I try to be fair. :) I can understand IPS wanting to make $ from their product, and I don't blame them. The problem with pricing is that if you're not careful, you will either price yourself to death (overcharging) or never make a profit no matter how many sales you make (not charging enough).

Let's take a proven example. On the 2nd season of the Apprentice, a few weeks back, this girl was in charge of the group when both groups were to compete on QVC. Being the leader, she decided on the price. Product was suggested at $30, she had it selling for roughly $26. She get canned because if she had set the price at $19.95, their group would have won because they would have sold many more times the product than they had. (These are corporate professionals and years of studies that back this up).

I still say that for a fully tested product (games were used as an example), $50 is the beginning price in most cases. But often times, will come out on sale. They are stand alone products, not add-ons to something else that costs 40% more. Also, patches are always free (if any are ever needed) and the price goes down over time. For add-ons, full price for a non-stand-alone product is over charging.

n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪

Spoiler

#192 martinjwallace

martinjwallace

Advanced Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:51 PM

Let's take a proven example.  On the 2nd season of the Apprentice, a few weeks back, this girl was in charge of the group when both groups were to compete on QVC.  Being the leader, she decided on the price.  Product was suggested at $30, she had it selling for roughly $26.  She get canned because if she had set the price at $19.95, their group would have won because they would have sold many more times the product than they had.  (These are corporate professionals and years of studies that back this up).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea what this means :lol:

My honest opinion is that the blog features should actually have been added as standard into IPB so that all future versions had it by default. The yearly and LL prices should have been increased to reflect this change.

I think $100 for a year, $500 for lifetime.

But I'm a developer myself so I am biased ;)
Martin J Wallace

#193 Wolfie

Wolfie

• +Clients
  • 12,499 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:02 PM

If it were to be included in IPF (I'm gonna call it IPF for IP forums :lol:) then it should be for free. But despite how nice that would be, I do feel that the blog is best as an addon instead of being pre-included.

n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪

Spoiler

#194 LordMooch

LordMooch

IPB Member

• Visitors
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:43 AM

Maybe not, but there won't be any new features added to the game either! :) At least not on console games....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Xbox Live: home of premium content and product patches.

#195 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:58 AM

and IPS is all but saying that they don't want my money

We value your custom and your feedback. We certainly want your money, but the $20 you're offering is $30 short of the asking price.

I acknowledge that you consider the price to be high. I'm not going to lower the price though. You obviously aren't going to purchase the blog, so there's little point in going around in circles. :)

That's the end of it.

Matt Mecham
Invision Power Services, Inc.
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)