Will you purchase the Invision Community Blog?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you plan to purchase the Invision Community Blog? (69 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote

#21 unlovelt

unlovelt

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:39 PM

i think it's so expensive.

1 month later, someone will code it for free in invisionize :P :P :P

#22 ilpadrino

ilpadrino

IPB Member

• Visitors
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:44 PM

already paid for it!!!I really did because of the hard work behind it..but I will ask for Invision power service to decrease the copyright removal's price... ;) ;)

#23 ratbag

ratbag

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 278 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:57 PM

Embarrassingly overpriced by a factor of 2 or 3 :( I really don't care what the cost of producing the script may have been... the price is outrageous for what it is and I won't be buying this add-on.
Malc

Posted Image

#24 Si.

Si.

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:06 PM

No, simply because theres other free alternatives available

#25 pk62004

pk62004

IPB Full Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:14 PM

any discount for lifetime members?

#26 Roller Coaster Freak

Roller Coaster Freak

Needs Serious Help

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:18 PM

ya really any discounts for your lifetime ipb board members....

I think 50 bucks is a lil much for what you are getting. If it was priced in the 20-30 buck range then I might get it. but 50.00 bucks I don't think so.
Jeff

#27 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:51 PM

I distinctly remember learning about this in Econ. With the number of people that are speaking out against the price, they speak for the crowd that outnumbers those who believe it's fairly priced. Yes, there are a lot who say that it is fairly priced, but when you consider those who will see the price and then say "forget it" and not even speak up, they add up to a higher number of people against the price. Considering that there are loads of free blogs out there, the only benefit to this one is pre-designed integration which also means using the same member database. Other than that, the free blogs that have been in development for years are going to smoke this thing like a beginners cigarette.

If the price were even half of what it is, the orders would easily double, meaning no loss in revenue and customer satisfaction would go up (thus an automatic benefit for the company). Now consider if even 1 more person were to purchase it that wouldn't have at the $50 price. That's another $25 in IPS's pocket. So if 10 people were to buy it at $50 ($500), and 20 were to buy it at $25 (again, $500), that one more person makes it $525, easily beating the $500 margin. It's simple math.

In class it was explained that the best price is the one that generates the most revenue. If charging $10 were to bring in 10 times the customers than that of $50, then $10 would be the best price to charge. (Using the first example, 10 people at $50 = $500. 10 times that is 100 people, at $10 is $1000). However, being realistic, the odds of $10 bringing in more income than $50 is not good. $25 is though. Those that are reluctant at $50 would jump on it at $25, and those totally against it at $50 would either give it serious consideration at $25 or would bite the cost and grab it.

I, for one, think $20 is the fair price, but as I've said, I'd swallow it and grab it at $25. So either it needs to go down in price, go on sale, or someone from IPS needs to make an exception, grab my $25 and gimme the license and the product. :)

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#28 PabUK

PabUK

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:01 PM

Considering that there are loads of free blogs out there, the only benefit to this one is pre-designed integration which also means using the same member database.  Other than that, the free blogs that have been in development for years are going to smoke this thing like a beginners cigarette.

I'm not trying to be rude, but if these free alternatives are so much better why not use them instead then? Why do you want to pay $20-25 for someting you say smokes the IPS product for free?

If the price were even half of what it is, the orders would easily double, meaning no loss in revenue and customer satisfaction would go up (thus an automatic benefit for the company).

Even if this were true (which it might not be, we have no way of knowing) you haven't considered that IPS would have double the customers to support and no more money for it. Doesn't make much sense for them in that respect.
The member number formerly known as "179".

#29 bfirsh

bfirsh

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:10 PM

The price is pushing it a bit, for what it is. $20/25 is probably a bit too little. For the top quality, well, everything here, $30-35 is about right in my opinion. Well, I'm not a business expert by any means, so listen to Dacity2. All those rather major bug reports so soon are a little off putting too. Surely they could be fixed with testing? Was it tested properly at all?

Yikes, I'm still a little tempted! Your products are normally of such good quality. My conscience is saying not to get it though. :unsure:

#30 PabUK

PabUK

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 378 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:16 PM

All those rather major bug reports so soon are a little off putting too. Surely they could be fixed with testing? Was it tested properly at all?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it's final yet - the filename for the script download ends with "PF1". They should probably have stated this in the announcement.
The member number formerly known as "179".

#31 Scott B

Scott B

Needs Life

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:37 PM

Once I've got my job, then I'll purchase it, even though my forum is empty!

#32 donniesd

donniesd

Apples suck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:44 PM

No way not worth 50 bucks to me.
"Apache, PHP and mySQL are all free, why should you pay for a bulletin board?" - From the IPS homepage in 2002.

The only drawback to having a Mac is the fact that you have almost no expandability

Gotta love the truth about the crapintosh

I got an iMac and then I was diagnosed with testicular cancer.Stay away from macs like the plague!

#33 gs2k1

gs2k1

IPB Member

• Visitors
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:19 PM

50 is a good price if you are making money with your forum (like having ads or something.)
25 would be a good price for non-profit forums.

50 is just to much for forums making no money...

#34 Keven Fox

Keven Fox

Quite Opinionated

• +Clients
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:27 PM

No, I'm looking for others, $50 is much too high for me too.
https://www.paypal.c...tton_id=3593168 Donations

Member of the upcoming Saviah Wildlife organization

#35 kitkatyummy80

kitkatyummy80

IPB Full Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 05:40 PM

50 is too much for me too.. but i'm gonna buy it anywayz: can't resist the temptation. (will stop going out this month though :( )

#36 Wolfie

Wolfie

• +Clients
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:08 PM

I'm not trying to be rude, but if these free alternatives are so much better why not use them instead then? Why do you want to pay $20-25 for someting you say smokes the IPS product for free?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not rude, it's a legit question. Being superficial, to have the IPb to use with the IPB would just have a consistant look. (Maybe we should call the products IPF for the forums and IPB for the blog :lol:) That with the integration and I think it's very fair to pay $20/25 for it. Sometimes it's not solely the features. But when it comes to price, it has to be the best if it's going to charge so much for something that should be charged much less.

Even if this were true (which it might not be, we have no way of knowing) you haven't considered that IPS would have double the customers to support and no more money for it. Doesn't make much sense for them in that respect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most of those that I've seen using these forums regularly have a good head on their shoulders. Those who need or know that they will rely on support will pay the higher price because they feel it's a trade off. (Not saying that those who pay the price only do it for that reason). Those who will likely handle their own support are *more likely* to resist the higher price. In short, those that the lower price brings in (that wouldn't have made the purchase at the higher price) are more likely to be those who handle their own support, and ergo, support is already bringing those who will likely rely on them for support anyway. But with a discounted price, they're more likely to bring in more income while, on average, decreasing the overall cost-per-ticket when it comes to support. This only makes sense as most people who will handle their own support (as best as possible) as more inclined to pay a lower price for a product instead of paying for something they won't use. When was the last time you knew of someone who paid for hurricane insurance when they live in (say) the state of Oregon? Not many people. Or paying car insurance when they don't even have a drivers license or a car?

Last time I checked, and my Econ instructor said it so well.. In general, people aren't going to look for ways to pay the most money in taxes to the gov't. Same goes for products and services. Why pay for something you don't need?

n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪

Spoiler

#37 cooldude7273

cooldude7273

IPB Customer

• +Clients
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:09 PM

I will eventually!

Need Hosting? LimitlessHosting.net | *My Blog!* |TheTechArea.com
This Post Copyright 2008 Cooldude7273 enterprise, all rights reserved.
Biggest Bot List For IPB EVER v5.0.5 Released! + more!

#38 bradl

bradl

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:24 PM

Probably not but only because offering blogs don't fit my forum objectives.

But, if I were trying to build a self-contained community around the forum as a core? I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It is perfectly suited - and integrated- for that purpose. Same with the gallery. If the forum IS the core of your site, these add-ons rule. IMO.

#39 martinjwallace

martinjwallace

Advanced Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:33 PM

In short, those that the lower price brings in (that wouldn't have made the purchase at the higher price) are more likely to be those who handle their own support

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that is the case at all.

A professional price will attract professional users, a hobby price will attract hobbiests (and I don't mean hobbiest programmers).

A lower price would make it more attractive to those who know little about computers and would be a greater support burden.
Martin J Wallace

#40 Wolfie

Wolfie

• +Clients
  • 12,501 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:57 PM

I may not have explained it the best way. The problem with what I said is that you have to consider the higher price and consider the difference in customer base if it had been the lower price.

If $50 brings in 100 customers, and 80 of those will be relying on support, then that's 80% base needing support.

If $25 brings in, say, 300 customers, and those same 80 + another 40 that are support hogs anyway, then that's 2/5ths (40%) of the base. That's because those not needing support are seriously going to try to keep their money for themselves.

Let's look at additional yearly support.. If those needing it pay the yearly $20, then the first year at $50 brings in $160 while those buying in at $25 would be bringing in $240 per year. That doesn't include those that would like to pay the small additional amount to have support as an option even if they never use it.

n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪

Spoiler