Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Delema

30 posts in this topic

Posted

I don

Posted

12,000 really isn't that many members in terms of large forums, IPB wouldn't have a problem with that.

In the end, it's what the admin wants, if he likes vB then let him use it.

Posted

You don't need 6 domains or a dedicated server to run a successful site. And if he prefers vB that's up to him, it's his preference :)

Posted

Thanks for the reply guys.

But my question is: How do I compete with this guy? He has the second spot on google for keyword "toontown", first being disney. I dont know how to keep up, let alone afford the advertising needed to catch up. And before I do, he'll start doing things I've already done before anyone even knows about me, making it look like I copied him.

Suggestions?

Posted

You make your site better than his. It's that simple - when you have a good site people will link to you and that will increase your ranking.

Posted

You make your site better than his. It's that simple - when you have a good site people will link to you and that will increase your ranking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In comparison, what is your opinion :)? (besides his large member base <_<, in comparison)

Posted

Doesn't that toontown have a point type thing? Offer your members some of those....

Posted

Doesn't that toontown have a point type thing?  Offer your members some of those....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure what you mean. I dont have a problem with retaining the members I have right now, I have a problem with getting more. My current way of "spreading the word" has its limits :-".

I plan on doing some sort of custom points sytem though ^_^. Working on it now. Large custom add-on/modification though, but im working on something like that.

Posted

I'm with Rikki, make your site better than his. You're better off on your own. Do a better job and he'll be asking you to merge with him. When that happens, don't accept, just worry about making your site #1.

Posted

The prices he posted are about right, running a successful website isn't cheap. I've dealt with both Invision Power Board and vBulletin, in the end, that guy cannot compete with AMD and Nasa. :P

You have quite a few HTML errors, but apparently the Toon Town Online fans do not care about them, as I cannot even get the website to load. With Internet Explorer 6 I get an error stating that I need Internet Explorer 5 or higher installed. It seems like a big company like Disney could afford a web designer who actually knows what he is doing. :P

Posted

The prices he posted are about right, running a successful website isn't cheap. I've dealt with both Invision Power Board and vBulletin, in the end, that guy cannot compete with AMD and Nasa.  :P

You have quite a few HTML errors, but apparently the Toon Town Online fans do not care about them, as I cannot even get the website to load. With Internet Explorer 6 I get an error stating that I need Internet Explorer 5 or higher installed. It seems like a big company like Disney could afford a web designer who actually knows what he is doing.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah hehe. Although the $120 a month for domains is a little extreeme.

Here are a few details to what I'm running now ( and my host is fast, and quite good to me :) ):

Hard Disk Space - 10 GB

Bandwidth / Traffic - 200 GB

Sub domains - Unlimited

Number of POP3 Accounts - Umlimited

MySQL

Posted

All that I did was run your website through the W3C xHTML 1.0 Validator.

http://validator.w3.org/

:thumbsup:

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow I got a lot to fix :blink:

Off Topic: If it's not to much trouble, could someone answer this question (if u can): http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?showtopic=161268 . My members and I see this as an important issue, especialy with the audience the site has. Thanks!

Posted

Ugg... My host is doing maintence on the server... Had to do is when I'm on :ermm:. But I guess it's not their fault it's late at night and I'm still up :lol:

EDIT: Yay they back up now.

Posted

he is only paying 8.88 for his domains anyway, just trying to scab more out of his donations i guess

Posted

Considering how much your site has grown in 4 days I'd wager that you're doing a pretty good job already. My advice would be to keep the site well maintained and keep adding new stuff. You may not think that retaining members is as important as getting new members, but remember if your site has a good reputation you won't actually have to do much work. Just keep it up to date, keep it maintained, and keep spreading the word. I would also go to other toontown sites and ask if they would like to do a link exchange. You put them on your links page, they put you on yours. Everyone wins! You'll go up in terms of google ranking.

Posted

I'm going to back up Rikki and Chris.

We've never advertised otorg other than word of mouth, for a fan site about anything there's nothing more you need. You just need to provide superior content over any of your competitors. Design doesn't matter, coding doesn't matter, style doesn't matter, it's what's inside the website that really matters.

Obviously a nice clean design helps, but it's not everything you need. Variety and content is what drives a site. We HAD more news than everybody else, and the site was known for it's up-to-date information, although now another website has come in and filled that niche and that's the site everybody goes to for news. It hasn't affected out ranking too badly though as we still have more media than any other website. We're still the top olsen fan site, and we still get more visitors than the official website every month, and we've never advertised anywhere.

You have to start somewhere, and work hard on keeping the original fan base happy while maintaining a nice balance between them and the new members.

Posted

One thing that might help is a better domain. I really think you should have went with ToonTownTalk.com instead. But that's your call. ToonTask.com just doesn't make sense IMHO.

Posted

What the hell is a delema?

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What ever you do, hide that from the person who made the Invision Power site... they forgot a few "

What the hell is a delema?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A hard decision between two or more things...
Like Subway Subs.... takes me hours.

Nick

Posted

I thought that was a dilemma.

Posted

I thought that was a dilemma.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What does it matter how he spelt it? He was asking a question.

The best way to become bigger than his site is to become better than his site. That would be my best suggestion.

Posted

First of all, I think you should respect his decision to use vB. We all have our preferences.

Now then, I'd like to compliment you on your site's home page. It's so much easier to look at and navigate. His site looks very cluttered and a little lacking in design. Yours is clear and stylish.

Differentiate your site from his. Don't switch to vB because another site has it. I'd say the same if you used vB and him IPB and the only reason you were wanting to switch was because the competition had it. You want your site to be different.

I can't believe he's charging