Photo
- - - - -

Can I convert SMF 2.0.4 beta to IPB without losing everything.?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NHMI

NHMI

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

Can I convert SMF 2.0.4 beta to IPB without losing everything.?? I would hate to loose my whole board. It is bad enough if I go with VBulletin I have to make everyone sign up again. I was hoping to come here and be told everything will be fine and then go with IPB instead. lol....I know it sounds silly but I have been using SMF and built a decent board but now stuff is disapearing and people are starting to 'Barneys Girlfriend' so I need a more solid program.

#2 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:08 PM

I know we have SMF 1.1 support but I do not believe our built in convertors can support SMF 2 Beta just yet. I am sure Mark or Jason from staff can chime in and answer that for sure :) ... we will get a proper answer for you as soon as we can.

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

#3 Alex K.

Alex K.

Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:14 PM

I've converted SMF 2 to phpBB3, and phpBB3 imports to IPB with no problem.

#4 Mark

Mark

I dropped the "iggy"

• IPS Staff
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 03:19 PM

Yes, we have a converter for SMF 2.0 available. Some miscellaneous things cannot be converted (like permissions, which you'll just need to set up after the conversion) - but your key data (members, forums, topics, post, polls, attachments, etc.) can certainly be converted. Unlike the converters to some other solutions, you won't need people to re-register or anything - they can just log in to IPB after the conversion with the same username and password they used before.

At the moment -I haven't written the SMF converter for IPB 3.0 yet, so I would just convert to 2.3.6, and then upgrade to 3.0.0 if you're so inclined.

If you'd like to do the conversion yourself, you can download the converter from our website - or, if you'd like us to run it for you, we can do so for a $60 fee. Since the SMF 2.0 converter isn't used frequently, I would strongly suggest considering having us do it for you.

Mark Wade
Developer

zce-php5-3-logo.gif php5-zce-logo-new.gif

#5 NHMI

NHMI

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

I will be glad to have you do it for me. How do we get the process started?

#6 Mark

Mark

I dropped the "iggy"

• IPS Staff
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

When you purchase IP.Board, there is also an "IP.Board Database Conversion" package you can purchase.

Once your purchase has been approved, go to the client area at invisionpower.com and submit a ticket with the following information:

1) Current board details:
Current board software:
Existing Board URL:
Admin CP Username:
Admin CP Password:

2) FTP information for current server
FTP Server Name:
FTP Username:
FTP Password:

3) MySQL details for current board
MySQL Host:
MySQL Username:
MySQL Password:
MySQL Database Name:

4) If you are moving servers, we will need access to download your database, please provide either of the following:
- Access to a database tool such as phpmyadmin on your old server
- Access to SSH on your old server

5) FTP Information for new server (if you would like us to install IP Board on the same server as the previous board, you can skip this step)
FTP Server Name:
FTP Username:
FTP Password:

6) Desired IP Board information
Desired Board URL:

7a) If you have already set up a database for us to install IP Board to:
MySQL Host:
MySQL Username:
MySQL Password:
MySQL Database Name:

7b) OR if you would like us to create a database for you:
URL to your hosting control panel (such as CPanel):
Username:
Password:

8) If you are moving servers, access to SSH on your new server would be very helpful, but is not required.

9) If you would like to schedule the conversion to take place on a particular day (we can do any weekday), let us know the date you would like the conversion to take place. If you are indifferent, we will just begin the conversion as soon as possible.

Mark Wade
Developer

zce-php5-3-logo.gif php5-zce-logo-new.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users