Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A potential vB convert

39 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys,

Am contemplating a possible switch from vB to IPB and have been looking around quite a bit. I know the grass always seems greener, so I am trying to temper my spontaneity with a dash of cautious optimism.

What I would like to know is:

1. Do you have a showcase of customers where you can really see some unique configurations and customisations (mainly of style)?
  2. Do you have any ad integration?
  3. Do you plan on being purchased in the near future by IB?
  4. Can you sign up to and leave comments for calendar events (or know of a mod to?)
  5. Who shot Kennedy?
  6. Will IPB convert vB forums, albums and blogs?
  7. Do you have social groups?
  8. Can you not switch between editors?
  9. Can you move content from forums into blogs?
  10. Do you have persistent read marking?
  11. Can you easily access whats new?
Think thats it for now.

TIA
glorify, , Kaelon and 2 others like this

Posted

Im a potential vb refugee too and I have the same questions

Posted

Hey guys,

Am contemplating a possible switch from vB to IPB and have been looking around quite a bit. I know the grass always seems greener, so I am trying to temper my spontaneity with a dash of cautious optimism.

1. Do you have a showcase of customers where you can really see some unique configurations and customisations (mainly of style)?
  4. Can you sign up to and leave comments for calendar events (or know of a mod to?)
  5. Who shot Kennedy?

Think thats it for now.

TIA

1) There are several in the IPS Company Blog, such as entry. Another I can name off the top of my head is http://forum.skype.com/ - Yes, that's IPB :)
2) There are several mods to do this, such as Advertisement System 2.2.0, (NG30) Global Adverts v1.3.3 and ) Advanced Adverts.
3) I certainly hope they don't. ;)
4) I don't believe this is currently available as a feature or mod, sorry.
5) Officially, Lee Harvey Oswald.
6) Yes. You would need to purchase IP.Gallery and IP.Blog, however.
7) No, but they or something similar will likely be added (or created as a mod) reasonably soon.
8) Yes you can - Click your username in the top right > My Settings > Posting Settings > Enable visual (RTE) editor?
9) There's a 'Blog This' button at the bottom of each post if you have a blog set up that will let you create a new blog entry by quoting a post. That's the only such functionality that currently exists to my knowledge, however.
10) Yes.
11) Yes, click "View New Content" at the top right - It can be configured in your options panel to either show all new content or to only show the new content since your last visit.

Posted

Hey guys,

[list=1][*]Do you have a showcase of customers where you can really see some unique configurations and customisations (mainly of style)? [*]Do you have any ad integration? [*]Do you plan on being purchased in the near future by IB? [*]Can you sign up to and leave comments for calendar events (or know of a mod to?) [*]Who shot Kennedy? [*]Will IPB convert vB forums, albums and blogs? [*]Do you have social groups? [*]Can you not switch between editors? [*]Can you move content from forums into blogs? [*]Do you have persistent read marking? [*]Can you easily access whats new?

[/list]

Think thats it for now.

TIA

Question 1: Yes, if you look hard enough around this site
Question 2: There maybe a app to that in the resources site
Question 3: NO!!!! if they where to be bought by IB I would leave, IB done a bad job with vb4 (being a license holder of vb4 aswell)
Question 4: Yes I think you can
Question 5: No Idea who shot him lol
Question 6: Yes, check out http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/convert.php
Question 7: No, but there maybe an app that could do this
Question 8: Each member has the ability to choose which editor to use
Question 9: Umm, not sure on this one
Question 10: Yes think so
Question 11: Yes you can

Maybe someone can clear up some of the questions I wern't sure on

Posted

1. Check out my site here for an example of what's easily achievable with IPB, default Portal, Gallery, Downloads, Links and a couple of simple hooks.
2. Just a matter of adding in some banner ad code as I have done. Their is no ad software built in
3. God I hope not.
5. If I told you, I would have to shoot you!!
6. Yes as far as I know
7. No
8. I assume you mean the visual RTE editor. I think it's disabled at this site by usually members can select whether they want it enabled or not from their control panel

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

Posted

Welcome!

Hey guys,

5. Who shot Kennedy?

Think thats it for now.

TIA

1) I'm not sure what you are looking for specifically, but we recently blogged about one.

[url=" Answers

Then there is Skype forums, a great example of a highly customized layout.

Skype Forums

Now, I'm not sure if Skype has upgraded to 3.x or not (as you can see, it's not a very typical IPB look), but I do know the upgrade has been in the works for several months, and their new look is basically the same as the 2.3.x look anyways.

2) There are modifications that do this, but nothing out of the box. In reality, I think most customers find inserting ad javascript into templates is easy enough that a special textarea to insert the javascript isn't really needed. That said, I've seen at least 2 modifications that handle this for 3.x, so if you needed something a bit more robust than straight template edits, there are options.

3) lol - no ;)

4) Not out of the box presently, no. Calendar improvements are on a personal wishlist of mine though, so you may see something in 3.1 or 3.2.

5) The second gunman on the grassy knoll, of course

6) Yes. Mark is still working on the 4.x converter, but the 3.8 converter works fine.

7) No, this is something not supported in any capacity in IPB out of the box. It's something oft-requested, so we may add something in the future. Additionally I know of some third party mods that could do this in 2.3, but nothing I've seen for 3.x yet.

8) You can switch between STD and RTE editor in your settings. You can also set the default editor in the ACP for new accounts.

9) No, but there is a "blog this post" button on publicly visible topics that users could use to blog about a particular topic. Of course there is also the old-fashioned copy/paste/delete option as well.

10) Yes

11) =1"]Yes
Tony likes this

Posted

Hey guys,

Hi geek. I want your keyword linker mod here on ipb in a week :D

1) add this at the end of your hosts file ("C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc"): "87.25.51.182 hserver" and visit these links (it's my home-server):
http://hserver/tf305/
http://hserver/tf305...odule=forumHome (click over the icons, only "localhost" and "hardware", others don't work on the test board)
http://hserver/tf305...va-discussione/

I think to have done one of the best edit ever to the ipb base, feedback are welcome but this is your topic ;)
if you want to login try with haha@tUser (password@username)

5) kennedy have been killed from bankers %7Boption%7D

regards, a your fan :D

Posted

First off, thanks everyone for their input to my answers :D

I think Ill need to buckle down and buy in order to really answer the rest of my questions.

Thanks again :)

Posted

Is there a way to show 'unread content' versus 'New content'? This is why i was asking after read marking. My users are used to (and reliant upon) the ability to bring up 'unread' content (obviously the newest first).

Thanks all :)

Posted

First off, thanks everyone for their input to my answers :D

I think Ill need to buckle down and buy in order to really answer the rest of my questions.

Thanks again :)

Hi TG,

Nice to see you over here!

I'm encouraged you might be working with IPB - that certainly would bode well for the mod community I would think and hope. ;)

I've got more than a few 3.8 vB boards that I run. A month or so ago, after coming to the decision that I could no longer have all my eggs in the vB basket, I took the plunge and purchased a IPB suite package (don't think they are offering that package anymore). My plan going forward, is to convert one of my smaller sites to IPB to get familiar with the software and also to see how things go. Right now I've got one of my small sites converted and running in a test environment so that I can get everything sorted etc. I'll probably open up my converted board in the next week or so.

For me, the more I use IPB, the more I really like it - I'm sure you may very well feel the same way. It does take a little getting used to though, especially if you're like me and have used vBulletin for many, many, years and therefore everything is in a familiar spot! ;)

I guess my logic in doing what I did, was that I felt, no matter what I did, eventually I was going to have to move to essentially a new platform in either the form of vB 4 or alternatively in the form of something else. So based on everything that has transpired, I decided to go with IPB, as I felt it is currently a stronger product as compared to vB4. And given the current team and state of affairs at vB I can't see that gap closing any time soon - it's more likely to widen actually.

The biggest advantage that vB currently has, at least as I see it, is .org and the modding community.

In closing, I really hope you take the plunge and give IPB a good chance as I think that will end up being a overall win/win for both yourself and the IPB mod community.

Cheers and good luck.

-Chris

Posted

Is there a way to show 'unread content' versus 'New content'? This is why i was asking after read marking. My users are used to (and reliant upon) the ability to bring up 'unread' content (obviously the newest first).

Thanks all :)

"New Content" actually is "unread content" - we take new content to mean 'content the user hasn't seen before' :)

Posted

"New Content" actually is "unread content" - we take new content to mean 'content the user hasn't seen before' [img]

[/img]

What I am seeing is only the content that has been updated/created since I last logged in. I was meaning content that the user hasn't read at all (within the read markers boundaries that is).

Here is an example. Everything below the pink line is older than my last visit - but is unread (or only partially read).
post-107133-126208944438_thumb.jpg

Typical use case scenario:

I'm busy when I check the site. Only get to a handful of post till I have to log off for a time. Once I log back on, all I am presented with are those items that have been updated/created since my last log on. The other posts I didn't get to will be missed unless I trawl through forum by forum. Showing all unread content encourages a lot more activity.

I understand not all of my required functionality may exist in IP while there will be functionality in IP that I never had before. I also understand that there are often different workflows and/or different ways to accomplish a similar task - I am just trying to identify what key gaps my users will experience if I were to migrate. This is indeed a big one. Saying that - I like how easy it is to see whats new and/or search between the different 'areas' of the site. I am wondering if a 'Whats new' portal could be created with IP.Content (I think thats what its called) that would preview the latest x from each section before allowing the user to show all unread content from each 'area'. This gives the ability to highlight often under looked, lower trafficked areas.

Sorry for the babbling :)

Posted

Hi TG,

Nice to see you over here!

I'm encouraged you might be working with IPB - that certainly would bode well for the mod community I would think and hope. [img]

[/img]

Thanks for the warm welcome Chris :)

Still not 100% sure I'll make the jump to IP yet. Still trying to get my head around the system which could take awhile. The guys here have done a great job of rapidly closing functionality gaps that used to heavily exist between themselves and vB as well as introducing much functionality that isn't found at all in vB. The key is identifying what functionality is critical for my sites users. However for me as a site admin, the most important choice in my forum provider is less to do with the current functionality and more to do with future functionality. Though IP is still new to me, my gut is telling me their 'vision' will sit better with mine than vBS is/will. Time will tell.

Posted

good to see you here thevbgeek theipbgeek :thumbsup:

Posted

What I am seeing is only the content that has been updated/created since I last logged in. I was meaning content that the user hasn't read at all (within the read markers boundaries that is).

Here is an example. Everything below the pink line is older than my last visit - but is unread (or only partially read).

Typical use case scenario:

I'm busy when I check the site. Only get to a handful of post till I have to log off for a time. Once I log back on, all I am presented with are those items that have been updated/created since my last log on. The other posts I didn't get to will be missed unless I trawl through forum by forum. Showing all unread content encourages a lot more activity.

I understand not all of my required functionality may exist in IP while there will be functionality in IP that I never had before. I also understand that there are often different workflows and/or different ways to accomplish a similar task - I am just trying to identify what key gaps my users will experience if I were to migrate. This is indeed a big one. Saying that - I like how easy it is to see whats new and/or search between the different 'areas' of the site. I am wondering if a 'Whats new' portal could be created with IP.Content (I think thats what its called) that would preview the latest x from each section before allowing the user to show all unread content from each 'area'. This gives the ability to highlight often under looked, lower trafficked areas.

Sorry for the babbling :)

This is a per-user setting.

Go here: http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp (this is the link you reach when you click your username at the top of the page, and choose "My Settings" from the menu)

Verify the setting for "View New Content Method". If you want to see unread content, you should select "Show me all content that I have not read".

Posted

Cool, thanks Brandon :)

/waveAtOtherBrandon :D

likes this

Posted

Welcome Sam! Switching to IPB from vB is sort of like switching to a Mac from a PC. It may seem like the "darkside" at first but you'll soon come to love the company and product here much more than you ever could a Microsoft, err, vBSolutions owned one ;)

Posted

Welcome Sam! Switching to IPB from vB is sort of like switching to a Mac from a PC. It may seem like the "darkside" at first but you'll soon come to love the company and product here much more than you ever could a [s]Microsoft[/s], err, vBSolutions owned one ;)

hey you can't use that "switched to the dark side" phrase, I'm going to copyright it :P

Posted

Welcome Sam! Switching to IPB from vB is sort of like switching to a Mac from a PC. It may seem like the "darkside" at first but you'll soon come to love the company and product here much more than you ever could a [s]Microsoft[/s], err, vBSolutions owned one ;)

Now that is the best example I have read. I just did the 100% switch to a Mac and my vb to ipb switch is 40% complete with a complete switch to be done over the next year.

Welcome TheGeek. I look forward to seeing AME for IPB in the future.

Posted

7.Do you have social groups? -- answer 7) No, this is something not supported in any capacity in IPB out of the box. It's something oft-requested, so we may add something in the future. Additionally I know of some third party mods that could do this in 2.3, but nothing I've seen for 3.x yet.

Does anyone have a link to a mod for 2.3

Posted

Do you plan on being purchased in the near future by IB?

If this were ever to happen I could imagine a lot of people would be jumping ship just like they're doing with vBulletin now. From what I've been seeing over at vB forums they clearly have no idea whatsoever how to communicate with their customers, or how to set realistic milestones.

Posted

Does anyone have a link to a mod for 2.3

Google for "Socializer", or search for it here. Alex wrote it, but I don't know that he has plans to update it for IPB3.
Kaelon likes this

Posted

Honest opinion .. I've been using vb since early vbulletin 2 so Im very used to how it all works etc. I currently only run 1 community and decided to make the complete switch over to IPB... At first when I switch it drove me mad tryin to find things, now however (only a month or so on) I am certain the move was the right one to make. Everything seems somewhat cleaner, there are areas I had to modify in VB that should have been standard functionality, which supprisingly in IPB is standard LOL.. Te layout of the admin panel takes some getting used to, however once you are used to it you'll find its a lot nicer to place around with.

As for my members.. You want an honest opinion? When I first switched over, some loved it, some hated it.. People dont like change its as simple as that. However again a couple of month down the line, people on my forum would hit the roof if I tried to move back.

glorify, Blind Bandit, Booth and 1 other like this

Posted

Sam, it's great to see you over here checking things out. And I'm really happy to see you brought that special sense of humor along with you! :thumbsup:

As everyone has already mentioned, making the switch to IPB is a bit like a buying a new home. Once you figure out where the light switches are all located, you're settled in.

Happy New Year to you!

C. Waffles likes this

Posted

I guess for my particular case, and I would imagine the case of others contemplating the shift, it'd be helpful to see a running diary/blog of a production site vBulletin admin trying out IPB. What sort of conversion difficulties/challenges does he overface, and how does he overcome them? Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but that's why I am excited/hopeful that The Geek will be keeping a blog here where he can share his experiences. :)