38 replies to this topic

#21 C. Waffles

C. Waffles

IPB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:10 PM

Do you plan on being purchased in the near future by IB?

If this were ever to happen I could imagine a lot of people would be jumping ship just like they're doing with vBulletin now. From what I've been seeing over at vB forums they clearly have no idea whatsoever how to communicate with their customers, or how to set realistic milestones.

#22 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,671 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

Does anyone have a link to a mod for 2.3

Google for "Socializer", or search for it here. Alex wrote it, but I don't know that he has plans to update it for IPB3.
  • Kaelon likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#23 Nityananda

Nityananda

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

Honest opinion .. I've been using vb since early vbulletin 2 so Im very used to how it all works etc. I currently only run 1 community and decided to make the complete switch over to IPB... At first when I switch it drove me mad tryin to find things, now however (only a month or so on) I am certain the move was the right one to make. Everything seems somewhat cleaner, there are areas I had to modify in VB that should have been standard functionality, which supprisingly in IPB is standard LOL.. Te layout of the admin panel takes some getting used to, however once you are used to it you'll find its a lot nicer to place around with.

As for my members.. You want an honest opinion? When I first switched over, some loved it, some hated it.. People dont like change its as simple as that. However again a couple of month down the line, people on my forum would hit the roof if I tried to move back.
  • Booth, Mike John, Blind Bandit and 1 other like this

#24 Mike54

Mike54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:32 AM

Sam, it's great to see you over here checking things out. And I'm really happy to see you brought that special sense of humor along with you! :thumbsup:

As everyone has already mentioned, making the switch to IPB is a bit like a buying a new home. Once you figure out where the light switches are all located, you're settled in.

Happy New Year to you!
  • C. Waffles likes this

#25 Kaelon

Kaelon

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

I guess for my particular case, and I would imagine the case of others contemplating the shift, it'd be helpful to see a running diary/blog of a production site vBulletin admin trying out IPB. What sort of conversion difficulties/challenges does he overface, and how does he overcome them? Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but that's why I am excited/hopeful that The Geek will be keeping a blog here where he can share his experiences. :)

#26 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,671 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

Brandon Shelly recently converted - he might be able to share his experiences. :)

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#27 KW802

KW802

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Brandon Shelly recently converted - he might be able to share his experiences. :)

Sheley :ph34r:

Sam and I have been talking already :thumbsup:
  • Kaelon likes this
Cool Sci-Fi | v3 Arcade

*** PLEASE NOTE: Any posts prior to Feb. 9, 2010 were actually posted by Brandon Sheley under his old account. Seems to have been a little mixup with the accounts being merged when he sold his licenses.

#28 The Geek

The Geek

Advanced Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:21 AM

I guess for my particular case, and I would imagine the case of others contemplating the shift, it'd be helpful to see a running diary/blog of a production site vBulletin admin trying out IPB. What sort of conversion difficulties/challenges does he overface, and how does he overcome them? Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but that's why I am excited/hopeful that The Geek will be keeping a blog here where he can share his experiences. Posted Image

I wrote an epic first day impression, but didn't think it would be appropriate for here so I deleted it. Though there were a few reasons why I did this, the primary reason was that most issues will be borne from ignorance and mis expectations. Furthermore I didn't want anyone to think I was starting a trend of writing epic blogs :D

I may speak to Brandon about putting it over on his site.
My Twitterings @aGeek

#29 Cloaked

Cloaked

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

I guess for my particular case, and I would imagine the case of others contemplating the shift, it'd be helpful to see a running diary/blog of a production site vBulletin admin trying out IPB. What sort of conversion difficulties/challenges does he overface, and how does he overcome them? Perhaps I'm overly cautious, but that's why I am excited/hopeful that The Geek will be keeping a blog here where he can share his experiences. :)

When I converted my first site I made a blog post of the progress. Not real in depth, but, you'll get the idea of a couple snags I hit.

http://bobschwarz.co...ion-power-board
  • Blackhat, and Abomination like this

#30 Ian O'Brien

Ian O'Brien

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:01 PM

I would like to add to this thread.

I have been a paying customer on vBulletin since November of 2001. I am one of the oldest customers of vBulletin, and have been using them since before it cost anything to use them, having made the switch from the old Ikonboard written in CGI (shivers).

They've managed to bork vB4 up enough to make me consider switching. I can maybe understand those people who have been using for a couple years wanting to switch, they haven't lived with vBulletin for a good chunk of their lives. However, I've lived it, worked with it, edited it, and find myself probably more knowledgeable than most.

And I'm willing to sacrifice that, to perhaps switch to IPB.

Depends on how your skinning works. vB4 now (smartly) uses CSS but all the classes are listed ALPHABETICALLY instead of GEOGRAPHICALLY, so you don't know where anything is... you have to go through each class trying stuff out to try and figure it out. Oh sure, I can use firebug... but there are old classes that exist that they didnt get rid of, so when you try to edit it, you can't find it in the damn editor.

How exactly does your skin editor work? If I like it, you've got an (almost) decade old customer of vB willing to switch to IPB.

#31 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,671 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

Our template editor is quite robust. There's no "easy" mode - you are given a textarea with the CSS file in it. The CSS tags are (lightly) commented, and are "geographically" (as you put it) located together. i.e. most of the elements for the topic page are grouped in the CSS file, and are indented appropriately to help you identify what is inheriting from previous elements.

My best recommendation is to sign up for a demo and take a first-hand look, as it will be a lot easier to understand if you have the interface right in front of you. :)

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#32 Kaelon

Kaelon

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

I wrote an epic first day impression, but didn't think it would be appropriate for here so I deleted it. Though there were a few reasons why I did this, the primary reason was that most issues will be borne from ignorance and mis expectations. Furthermore I didn't want anyone to think I was starting a trend of writing epic blogs :D

I may speak to Brandon about putting it over on his site.

That would be awesome. Or, if you'd just like to e-mail it to me, feel free to send it my way!

#33 Kaelon

Kaelon

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

When I converted my first site I made a blog post of the progress. Not real in depth, but, you'll get the idea of a couple snags I hit.

http://bobschwarz.co...ion-power-board

Thanks so much for this. It was a great read and it gives me a solid impression of what to expect at least in the conversion process and its steps.

#34 KW802

KW802

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

... Switching to IPB from vB is sort of like switching to a Mac from a PC. It may seem like the "darkside" at first...

It is rather surprising though how many of us considering switching, or at least running dual platforms for a bit.

Besides, my favorite T-Shirt has always been "Come to the Darkside.... we have cookies!" :D
Cool Sci-Fi | v3 Arcade

*** PLEASE NOTE: Any posts prior to Feb. 9, 2010 were actually posted by Brandon Sheley under his old account. Seems to have been a little mixup with the accounts being merged when he sold his licenses.

#35 Cloaked

Cloaked

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

I would like to add to this thread.

I have been a paying customer on vBulletin since November of 2001. I am one of the oldest customers of vBulletin, and have been using them since before it cost anything to use them, having made the switch from the old Ikonboard written in CGI (shivers).

They've managed to bork vB4 up enough to make me consider switching. I can maybe understand those people who have been using for a couple years wanting to switch, they haven't lived with vBulletin for a good chunk of their lives. However, I've lived it, worked with it, edited it, and find myself probably more knowledgeable than most.

And I'm willing to sacrifice that, to perhaps switch to IPB.

Depends on how your skinning works. vB4 now (smartly) uses CSS but all the classes are listed ALPHABETICALLY instead of GEOGRAPHICALLY, so you don't know where anything is... you have to go through each class trying stuff out to try and figure it out. Oh sure, I can use firebug... but there are old classes that exist that they didnt get rid of, so when you try to edit it, you can't find it in the damn editor.

How exactly does your skin editor work? If I like it, you've got an (almost) decade old customer of vB willing to switch to IPB.

I was with vbulletin from the beginning. Followed the discussion on Scriptkeeper when a php/mysql product was the most requested product at Infopop. When they disallowed John from posting about his idea on Scriptkeepers I followed it to the forum he created at EZBoard. I bought one of the first licenses to vbulletin 1. My userid at vbulletin is 52 joined in April of 2000. Joined the first day the vbulletin.com site opened.

I am no short timer. I am leaving vbulletin completely before 2010 is over. I have chosen IPB for many reasons with the main being that I trust IPS will always put the customer first. That used to be true with vbulletin. It isn't any longer. The mighty dollar is more important to them now.

I am not the only long time user leaving either. If you want to put your trust in a company that has shown they don't care about customers and a product that was released as buggy as v4 is then IPB is not the place for you. If you want a customer first attitude and rock solid software then IPB is the place for you. I'm a IPB newbie and still learning. Yes I was comfortable after using vbulletin for 10 years. I will be comfortable with IPB soon also. I am already comfortable with the company and the support. The rest will come in time.
  • VAHID, Olivier Turbis, Alex K. and 3 others like this

#36 Webmist

Webmist

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:59 PM

I've been running dual platforms for awhile. Over the next renewal period I'm looking to convert a couple of vB forums over. So I'll be interested in how it goes. On one forum we have quite a lot and I've been dreading converting. Not to mention some of the mods to convert.

For the year 2009 we have had:
1 million new users, actually a few more than.
69K new threads
70+ thousand new posts

Nice to see you again Sam. Looking forward to see your participation back in the community. IPB will be lucky to have anything you do.

I still have that script.
"Your just jealous because the voices only talk to me."

#37 glorify

glorify

Advanced Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

Contemplating a switch as well. Been using vb for 5+ years now. Maybe it's time. Just exploring what IPB has to offer.

#38 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,671 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:52 AM

Contemplating a switch as well. Been using vb for 5+ years now. Maybe it's time. Just exploring what IPB has to offer.

Great, let us know if you have any questions. :)

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#39 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

I am no short timer. I am leaving vbulletin completely before 2010 is over. I have chosen IPB for many reasons with the main being that I trust IPS will always put the customer first. That used to be true with vbulletin. It isn't any longer. The mighty dollar is more important to them now.

As with any company the "mighty dollar" is important to us too (staff to pay, servers to power, etc. :) ) but we simply believe that customer first = more of those mighty dollars. I would say that most anyone can agree with such a philosophy and it will always prove true over the long run.

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users