Welcome to the forums here.
Hello. First post.
I apologize in advance if some of these questions are too basic. I did try to search for the information.
Hosted Community packages questions:
- IP.Blog, IP.Gallery, IP.Content are available, what is the additional cost for the addons? Do those come pre-installed if they are desired?
- Roughly how long does it take to make that active once ordered and paid for?
- It is my understanding that some Community Resources could be installed, is the thread preview application listed in this post one of them?
Unfortunately, I don't know much about our hosting packages or prices, so I'll skip #1. I do know some of the packages have a "suite" addon which adds blog and gallery (but not IP.Content), but I don't know which packages, the cost, etc.
We will perform the installation for you, yes. All orders are approved manually, and generally take less than a day. At that point, your installation request would be forwarded to our installation department, so you might figure 2 days from the point you purchase until IPB is installed and ready for you to use, depending on when exactly you submit your ticket. Usually it wouldn't take quite that long, but I prefer to estimate on the high side.
As for community resources, you can install any that don't require file modifications. When you use our community hosting packages, some of the files are encoded (and only work on our hosting), so you aren't able to edit those files. As such, any resources that require file edits you would not be able to install. As of IPB 3, however, most customizations can be accomplished through the new applications and hooks systems, so less and less resources require actual file edits.
The thread preview application you linked to is listed as an application, and shouldn't require file edits, but you might need to check with the author of the modification to be certain. As it's a paid application, I have no way to look at the code to tell you this, unfortunately.
Is it possible this product may give the vb thread preview functionality? When a mouse is placed over thread, the first few lines of the first post is shown? http://community.inv...-hover-preview/
Yes, that's how I understand the application to work. There's a screenshot here if it helpshttp://community.inv...ord=8070&full=1
Thread marking systems.
It appears that IP.Board leaves threads marked as 'unread' until the threads are 'read', which is nice, the vb equivalent of "Database (automatic forum marking)". Is there a timeout on that? Will those threads be marked as read in 2 months if they were not read?
Threads are not automatically marked as read, no. A user can manually mark a forum (or the entire board) as read if they wish, however.
Converter questions - the downloadable conversion program.
- How long will vb3.8 be supported? The rest of 2010?
- Are the older versions of the converter available if vb3.8 support is dropped in the future?
1) I would venture a guess that as long as there is interest from converting users, we'll maintain this version of the converter. I would imagine this will be the case throughout 2010, yes.
2) Not generally, however our conversion specialist of course has older versions available. We also do custom conversions, if needed.
24 hour demo
Can 2 Admin accounts/logins be enabled for the 24 hour demo?
Yes - the demo is virtually a complete vanilla installation of IPB. You should be able to visit the members area and create a secondary admin account if you want.
IP General questions
- Are add on products such as IP.Blog, owned forever like IP.Board?
- If they are not currently active, but the IP.Board is, is access to the IP.Blog support forums removed as well as downloading newer IP.Blog versions? Or do all purchased add ons need to be up to date to have any support access?
- If IP.Board is purchased, are the PHP files visible? I understand the "Hosted Community packages" are not viewable.
1) Yes, any addon applications are "perpetual" licenses in that you can run them for as long as you want. Support and updates require the license to be active, however we do not require the license to be active for you to use the software itself.
2) If you have IP.Board license active, but not IP.Blog, you would have access to download IP.Board updates, but not IP.Blog updates, and you would have access to any IP.Board forums, but not any IP.Blog support forums.
3) Yes, our source code is viewable if you purchase a full license.
Can 2 people have access to the support forums? I have a software person that would need access.
- is there a link anywhere that describes how that works?
- How to upload? What to upload? guidelines?
- What is involved in deciding if something submitted should be listed? Any testing involved?
You can add alternate contacts to your account in your client area upon purchasing a license, and allow alternate contacts to access the support forums. They won't be placed into the Active Customers group, but will have access to the peer to peer forums and resource areas.
1) How what works exactly? The resources area encompasses articles, links to third party sites, an error code database, phpdocs, files (such as modifications and skins) and more. It's probably hard to visualize without access (which requires a license purchase) so if you can clarify what you're after I can explain it a bit more.
2) The download manager installation here is used to share resources such as hooks, applications and skins. Graphic packs and php script tools (that don't necessarily require IPB to function) are also allowed. Once you have a license, you'll have access to upload resources to the areas you have a license for.
3) We do not test third party submissions, no. We DO, however, quickly test paid submissions (or rather, AndyF does the majority of this for us). We do NOT thoroughly test and debug such submissions, but make an attempt to ensure that what is being sold is what is advertised, and that no malicious code is included in such paid addons (and that they function to a reasonable extent). Ultimately we cannot be responsible for third party addons, but make every effort to ensure your experience as a user here is a pleasant one. If there are files that need attention, you can report them to us from the download manager pages directly.
Re-selling the license questions - Not all of my ideas for forums have been successful.
- My understanding that selling individual licenses is not possible, but the entire account could be sold. Does that mean if several licenses are purchased then the only way to sell them would be to sell all of them together?
- How do you track accounts? email address?
1) Yes, this is correct.
2) Primarily, yes.
Is this the proper place to discuss things like nginx, Lighttpd, xcache? http://community.inv...ign-and-coding/
Personally, I would recommend to customers to use http://community.inv...s-optimization/
However, if you have general questions not related to IPB, you can use the forum you linked to, yes.