Coupons

39 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I cannot see this mentioned, but please consider coupons for use - both as a monetary discount and a percentage.

EDIT: Also gift vouchers - the ability to sell such items for gifts at Christmas and for birthdays.

Thanks.

Edited by .Ian
EDITalk, InvisionHQ, Greg* and 4 others like this

Posted

This is on my list for 1.1. If there is enough demand I may bump it to 1.0.

Posted

I believe this would be a great idea. When opening a new board, someone could offer free 'premium' memberships to those who join within a certain time frame. Would it be possible to limit how many may use a coupon? This could be useful for creating custom coupons for one time use, like a prized discount or something.

Posted

great thanks - hopefully people will make comment and encourage you towards 1.0 ;)

Posted

I support the coupons idea and really want that it makes it way to 1.0, instead of 1.1. :)

Posted

I would also like coupons, will definitely help drive sales. :D

Posted

Added gift vouchers to my opening post. :)

Posted

+1 for coupons, this is a must!

Posted

+1 for this idea! It could be good to place discounts on such sites like facebook to members who have joined a group for your board! :D

Posted

Can't edit my opening post now - but rather than starting another topic ;)

BOGOF

'Buy One Get One Free' or 'Buy one, get 2nd half price' etc.

Posted

Yes, that's definitely important enough for 1.0.

Posted

I agree! v1.0 please!

Posted

+1 for coupons.

Posted

A few options:

name
quantity (0 to however many, -1 for unlimited)
type (% off, $ off, up to %/$ off of a duplicate item)
value (0 to 100% off, $ off, etc)
valid dates
member groups that may use coupon
# of times same member may use coupon
coupon code (option to generate random code)
member specific coupon (can only be used by a specific member, useful for incentives to make additional purchases)
referral coupons (one member gets credit for others using the coupon while coupon gives those others a discount of some sort)

Just some ideas off the top of my head. I'm sure that IPS can think of an easier way to make the options available without it being so complex that you need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Posted

While a general "coupon" code would solve several of our promotional type problems, that is not critical for our use. The problem is people make a 'game' out of finding the current coupon code, and people use the code, even though some were not supposed to have the coupon code.

member groups that may use coupon

# of times same member may use coupon

coupon code (option to generate random code)

On the other hand, these ideas would be *huge* for us, as it would limit the discount to the intended group/person. Buy something, then get a randomly generated code good for a one time use, or limit it to only members in a certain group.

Posted

I use gift certificates and coupons all the time with my shopping cart, so these are a must have. :) Coupons that can be restricted to particular user groups are also helpful, as well as "one-use" coupons you can assign to individual members. Gift certificates and coupons can get somewhat complex depending on how flexible you make them.

..Al

Posted

I use gift certificates and coupons all the time with my shopping cart, so these are a must have. :) Coupons that can be restricted to particular user groups are also helpful, as well as "one-use" coupons you can assign to individual members. Gift certificates and coupons can get somewhat depending on how flexible you make them.

One time use codes could also be shared from one member to another. So someone could share a code to help get someone in. Sort of like Toontown does, where they will email codes to enable an account with full access for 14 days. Each code can only be used once, but it's not restricted to the person they were sent to. :)

Posted

Coupon option would be great to have in the first version.

Posted

Support coupon option :thumbsup:

Posted

Is it me or does this seem like there is a bit of demand. Maybe not enough or maybe so... :DDD

Posted

Coupons are definitely a must.
Gift vouchers aren't as important for the first release. In my opinion.

Posted

Clearly this needs to be bumped to 1.0 :)

Okay, so I'm thinking a "Manage Coupons" page in the Admin CP - you'll specify a discount in $ or %, can limit it to specific products or member groups (is per-member necessary? Couldn't you just add account credits?), can specify how many times it can be used (in total and how many times by the same member specifically) or a date on which it should stop working and you can either specify a code or the system can generate one for you.

Then on the checkout page, there'll be an area where you can enter in a coupon code which will adjust the total invoice amount.

If anyone has any other ideas, now's the time to let me know :)

I've also seen people talking about Gift Certificates here which is something a little different (i.e. a user buys a gift certificate and gives the code to someone else which gives them $x credit). I'm happy to hear your thoughts on how that should work too but probably best to open a separate topic :)

Posted

Clearly this needs to be bumped to 1.0 :)

Great :)

Okay, so I'm thinking a "Manage Coupons" page in the Admin CP - you'll specify a discount in $ or %, can limit it to specific products or member groups (is per-member necessary? Couldn't you just add account credits?), can specify how many times it can be used (in total and how many times by the same member specifically) or a date on which it should stop working and you can either specify a code or the system can generate one for you.

Then on the checkout page, there'll be an area where you can enter in a coupon code which will adjust the total invoice amount.

If anyone has any other ideas, now's the time to let me know :)

Not sure a per member option is required.

Other considerations....

Apart from percentage or fixed amount, there might be some form of setup fee (thinking of hosting in the future which has been talked about)

Unlimited uses - no limit to the number of times it can be used (subject to it complying with other requirements)
Date Limit - already mentioned - perhaps a valid from/till ?
Recurring - y/n (annual discount for example or just a one off)
New accounts only - y/n (applicable for first orders only)
Apply once per client - y/n (so a client can only use it once, but the coupon itself can be used multiple times)
Existing clients only - y/n (applicable to people who have ordered before only - opposite to new accounts only)
BOGOF - Buy one get one free - or - buy one get two free options.

If membership is sold for example - is the coupon for any period of time, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, annually, biennially or triennially (especially if multiple time frames are available -

I've also seen people talking about Gift Certificates here which is something a little different (i.e. a user buys a gift certificate and gives the code to someone else which gives them $x credit). I'm happy to hear your thoughts on how that should work too but probably best to open a separate topic :)

Sounds good - will continue on another thread :)

Posted

I have included BOGOF in the above or perhaps by 2 get third free or by one get second 1/2 price - but this might not need a coupon and might be an option open to all for a set period of time. So not sure if this should be in this topic or not.

Mind you then people will want mix and match on products ;)