#1 Ikadon

Ikadon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:50 AM

Hey guys!

Currently I'm planning a new project for which I wanna use IP.Board (and IP.Blogs). I was not sure which CMS to use... I've already worked with Joomla, but here I need some stuff that is not available for joomla, or just with core-hacks... multidomain-platform with subdomains for different subcategories (for example: example.domain.tld and example2.domain.tld would have different news for different "sub"topcis), the possibility to, later on, add multilanguage support, so translate sites (manually) to other languages. So I had an eye on Drupal (7) which is still in Alpha-stage and it looks good, but I found out that it could be really hard to manage two different systems... I want my users to be able to login on the main-site, to see if they have any new messages etc. I also want some "modules" so that on subpages of the mainpage I can show different forums"blocks", so... when you are on "example.domain.tld" you see the forums of "example.forums.domain.tld", and if you are on another site you (example2.domain.tld) you see the connected forums "example2.forums.domain.tld" so you can always have an eye on what interests you, see if new topics or posts were made in the forums you have an interest in. (Don't get me wrong, this whole project reveals around a "higher topic", those forums will be just normal "subforums" (in different categories) for specific topics - no whole differen forum/project)

So here I wanna make a small cut - would this be possible with IP.Content? And with possible I mean, much easier (as it's the same product-family) as with a 3rd party software like Drupal. :)

Then what I'd like to know... I'd really like to have different themes for different content. For example: The main page has, said simplified, a three column layout (on the left side the menu, in the middle the content and on the right side something I would call "modules" e.g. "who is new","newest posts"...), while I want that some articles, news, or static content have only two columns. (a menu left, and right the content)

So, here is what I'd like to have... sorry I have not found a better homepage to explain exactly what I'd like to have: Mainsite (3 columns) and subsite (2 columns)

Is this possible, in an easy, resource-conserving way? Ya, I can make the layouts by hand, that's not the problem, even though I'll have to dive in your theming-system, but can I allocate different layouts (and even themes) for different sites easily? This is a must-have-feature for me... I want a main-site with all different infos, then you dive into the news you'd like to read. This may also be associated with a different sub-domain.

Then another thing I'd really like to see... it's a newsflash module, something like this, but maybe built in js... is it easy to add something like this to interact with the backend of IP.Content? I'd really like to be able to add the pictures and texts, and order them in the backend, so other admins without the rights to access the ftp may add something also.

And one last question, for now, would be... how's the performance compared to "other" CMS (I know IP.Content is no CMS but a framework), how optimized is it? I mean, can it withstand great demand?

Thanks ahead,
Ikadon

PS: Really thanks... I'm not a customer currently but I must be sure what to buy... the "only" six months support doesn't make it easier for me, since I'm a student and have to earn my money whilst studying.

PPS: Oh what are those "databases"? I mean those are no real databases, that I know, but what you mean by that word? Sorry, english isn't my mothertongue, I guess it's another phrase for something that is called different in every other CMS. (like some call there templates, themes, others styles... etc.)

edit: oh noez, this was the wrong forum, right? I'm sorry :(

#2 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,674 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

IP.Content doesn't really support multi-domain access out of the box. Naturally, you could set up a .htaccess file so that if you request example.domain.tld it rewrites to domain.tld/mypage.html (and do the same with other subdomains pointing to other pages) if that is sufficient for you.

You can use different templates for different pages. With the articles system in IP.Content 2, you can even apply different article templates to different articles within the same system. This would allow for some to have 3 columns and some to have 2 columns (for example). In addition to doing this at the article level, you can do this at the category level (in the articles system) and at the page level (when creating static/dynamic pages, not using databases).

What does the newsflash module do? If it's just uploading files, that's supported.

I spend time with virtually every release working on improving resource usage in any way possible with IP.Content. Let's just say that it powers our main website here, and our resources section, so we're very confident it can withstand the traffic.

Databases are what they sound like. They allow you to create "databases" of content in the ACP, and then display that data on the front end. Before IP.Content 2, for instance, many users created an "articles" database, where they would add articles (and display them on the front end). As of IP.Content 2, articles are supported out of the box, but there's still many uses for databases. Some random examples:

Games
Pets
Recipes
Website links

We use databases, for instance, for our error codes here: http://community.inv...tml?category=35

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#3 Ikadon

Ikadon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

IP.Content doesn't really support multi-domain access out of the box. Naturally, you could set up a .htaccess file so that if you request example.domain.tld it rewrites to domain.tld/mypage.html (and do the same with other subdomains pointing to other pages) if that is sufficient for you.

Hmm, that would be a bit of a problem then, because this .htaccess file would be a huge amount of work for dozens of subdomains.

You can use different templates for different pages. With the articles system in IP.Content 2, you can even apply different article templates to different articles within the same system. This would allow for some to have 3 columns and some to have 2 columns (for example). In addition to doing this at the article level, you can do this at the category level (in the articles system) and at the page level (when creating static/dynamic pages, not using databases).

Very nice, that sounds good :)

What does the newsflash module do? If it's just uploading files, that's supported.

You upload pictures and then they slide so you have your top news visible with some images, then you link those images to the connected article/news.

I spend time with virtually every release working on improving resource usage in any way possible with IP.Content. Let's just say that it powers our main website here, and our resources section, so we're very confident it can withstand the traffic.

Sorry, this was not meant to be an insult! I just wanted to know how ressource-heavy it is compared to Drupal, or Typo3.

Databases are what they sound like. They allow you to create "databases" of content in the ACP, and then display that data on the front end. Before IP.Content 2, for instance, many users created an "articles" database, where they would add articles (and display them on the front end). As of IP.Content 2, articles are supported out of the box, but there's still many uses for databases. Some random examples:

Games
Pets
Recipes
Website links

We use databases, for instance, for our error codes here: http://community.inv...tml?category=35

Thank you, so it's not MySQL/PreSQL-Databases but something like categories and groups for special amount.

It really sounds interesting, but may I ask, is a support of multiple subdomains planned? IP.Content 2 is feature-locked, isn't it? How about a "minor" version, like 2.1 to support more subdomains.

#4 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,674 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

Given that 2.0 hasn't been released yet, we're not prepared to announce features that will be coming in 2.1. The features we do add are based on feedback and requests, so the most requested/required features will be worked on first.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#5 Ikadon

Ikadon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:57 AM

Given that 2.0 hasn't been released yet, we're not prepared to announce features that will be coming in 2.1. The features we do add are based on feedback and requests, so the most requested/required features will be worked on first.

Ya, that's a great way to improve your product, one point I wanna support you with my buy. Hopefully, for me, there are more people for multiple (native) (sub)domain-support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users