Steam OpenID Login

38 posts in this topic

Posted

I'd love to run IPB using only Steamcommunity logins. ( http://steamcommunity.com/dev )

Can anyone confirm is this works on the current version of IPB?

Posted

I'm also interested in this, can someone please confirm?

Posted

I don't have a Steam login to test, but from what I can see on that page, if you enter this into the OpenID URL field it should work:
http://steamcommunity.com/openid/id/<steamid>

Obviously replacing <steamid> as appropriate.

There are some OpenID providers which do not work as, while we specify that we require an EMail address, some providers don't honour this. This is however being changed in 3.1.2 so if it isn't work at the moment, it should be fine in the next release.

Posted

Trying this on a friend's forum doesn't work, it reports:

We could not verify your identity through OpenID. Please try again, or choose another login method.

A steam account is free until you buy games, if you wanted to test. Garrysmod.org just has a specific link, takes you to the Steam website and asks you to sign in, and then takes you back to the site.
If this was shown to work I'd buy instantly.

Posted

I'm getting the same issue. I sent in a support ticket over SEVEN HOURS AGO and still no response.

Posted

[quote name='Sunrex' date='05 July 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1278376066' post='1982634']
I'm getting the same issue. I sent in a support ticket over SEVEN HOURS AGO and still no response.

[*]

1. Assuming you're on a standard license, IPS has up to 48 hours to reply to support tickets per the terms of the contract.

Please note: We will be closed from 2 July through 5 July in observance of Independence Day in the United States. We will reopen as normal on 6 July. Telephone support will be unavailable, but support tickets will be staffed however at reduced levels. You can also get peer-to-peer support at our community forums

Collin1000, Fishfish0001 and ørret like this

Posted

It is possible that steam is not sending your email address as part of the authentication process which is required in IPB 3.1.1. This may be a user configurable option that is disabled by default at the steam side of things as I have seen similar things from other OpenID providers. Please review the settings on the steam website to see if you can configure this. If not IPB 3.1.2 will support all OpenID providers regardless of whether they send your email address or not. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Regards,

Hope 3.1.1 is out soon! :D

Hello,

Posted

Well my post was held in moderation but yeah, this doesn't work but might in a future version?

Posted

If the problem is that Steam doesn't reply with the email (which is semi-common - gmail has the same issue with their OpenIDs for instance), then this should be resolved with 3.1.2.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' date='07 July 2010 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1278509857' post='1983434']
If the problem is that Steam doesn't reply with the email (which is semi-common - gmail has the same issue with their OpenIDs for instance), then this should be resolved with 3.1.2.

When can you expect 3.1.2 to be released?

Posted

When it's ready™

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1278538947' post='1983710']
When it's ready™

How can I be notified of its release?

Posted

[quote name='GabrielMSharp' timestamp='1278702953' post='1984746']
How can I be notified of its release?

Generally, minor releases are released within a week or two of them being installed on these forums. Since 3.1.2 was installed on these forums today, I'd expect it probably own't be more than 2 weeks until it's released.

Its release will be announced in the announcements forum here; alternatively there's a box at the bottom of the IPS homepage where you can subscribe to the IPS newsletter, which will also notify you of its release.

GabrielMSharp likes this

Posted

[quote name='BacTalan' timestamp='1278706401' post='1984773']
Generally, minor releases are released within a week or two of them being installed on these forums. Since 3.1.2 was installed on these forums today, I'd expect it probably own't be more than 2 weeks until it's released.

Its release will be announced in the announcements forum here; alternatively there's a box at the bottom of the IPS homepage where you can subscribe to the IPS newsletter, which will also notify you of its release.

Oh Man, so excited now because I tested Steam OpenID and it works perfectly.

Thanks for the tips :D

Posted

When a new release is available, we will post an announcement in this forum: http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/1-company-news-and-updates/

Just visit that forum and "Watch" it to be notified when a new announcement is posted.

Posted

I'm going to bump this, the issue was not resolved with 3.1.2.

Posted

Yes it was. The Steam OpenID provider is flawed and quite simply cannot be used on any website which follows the OpenID spec. Try with an OpenID provider that doesn't suck.

Collin1000 likes this

Posted

[quote name='Mat (FDNZ)' timestamp='1280142562' post='1993556']
Yes it was. The Steam OpenID provider is flawed and quite simply cannot be used on any website which follows the OpenID spec. Try with an OpenID provider that doesn't suck.

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/

That uses steam OpenID and it works correctly. The problem is obviously something in the IPB3 forum software.

Posted

[quote name='Sunrex' timestamp='1280144867' post='1993563']
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/

That uses steam OpenID and it works correctly. The problem is obviously something in the IPB3 forum software.

No, it is nothing to do with IPB3. The Steam OpenID system is faulty, and as I said before, any site that actually accepts it is in violation of the OpenID specification. The following (incomplete) list of OpenID consumers completely reject Steam OpenID:

• Janrain Engage
  • Invision Power Board
  • DotNetOpenAuth
  • SourceForge
  • StackOverflow
  • phpBB3

Facebook also violates the spec by accepting it.

Collin1000 likes this

Posted

[quote name='Mat (FDNZ)' timestamp='1280147360' post='1993575']
No, it is nothing to do with IPB3. The Steam OpenID system is faulty, and as I said before, any site that actually accepts it is in violation of the OpenID specification. The following (incomplete) list of OpenID consumers completely reject Steam OpenID:

[*]Janrain Engage[*]Invision Power Board[*]DotNetOpenAuth[*]SourceForge[*]StackOverflow[*]phpBB3

I'm sorry, but if this is true then why were we lied to? We were told Steam OpenID would work with 3.1.2.

What exactly do we need to modify to get it working on IPB3 then, I'm assuming it would be a core file.

Facebook also violates the spec by accepting it.

Glumbo and ørret like this

Posted

You were not lied to....

Re-read my post please. :)

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1278509857' post='1983434']

I said that IF the problem is that Steam doesn't reply with the email, it would be fixed. Others here are saying that's not the problem. If Steam doesn't follow the OpenID specs correctly, there's little we will be able to do to fix it.

Try testing your Steam ID here: http://test-id.org/OP/Sreg.aspx

Does it work there? If not, it's not valid OpenID and most providers won't accept it (including IPB). We use the official JanRain OpenID libraries, so there's little on our side to do with accepting or rejecting the OpenID.

Posted

For everyone's information:

Steam's OpenID will function normally if the player enters:

http://steamcommunity.com/openid/id/THEIR-ID-HERE

The problem arises when someone inputs only http://steamcommunity.com/openid/ into the openID box.
This causes the players ID to be recorded as only /openid/ meaning anyone else who uses that URL will be signed in as the first person to use it.

The 'correct' method first mentioned also occasionally doesn't work.

Do the IPB staff have any useful knowledge they could impart to us, their customers to go about fixing this ourselves?

Posted

That's not true Gabriel. Even a Claimed OpenID token from Steam Community will fail, as it doesn't comply with the OpenID spec. The second URL (the Unclaimed format) fails because Steam Community can't get either format correctly according to the specifications. There's nothing they can do to make it work in IPB short of breaking proper OpenID support in favour of one broken provider. If you want it fixed, you need to be complaining to Valve, not IPS.

Posted

[quote name='Mat (FDNZ)' timestamp='1280587041' post='1997441']
That's not true Gabriel. Even a Claimed OpenID token from Steam Community will fail, as it doesn't comply with the OpenID spec. The second URL (the Unclaimed format) fails because Steam Community can't get either format correctly according to the specifications. There's nothing they can do to make it work in IPB short of breaking proper OpenID support in favour of one broken provider. If you want it fixed, you need to be complaining to Valve, not IPS.

I agree it's probably Valves fault but can you direct me/us to some documentation on the OpenID system you use and how we might customise it?
(Personally in my community I'd like to use Steam's OpenID exclusively from any other method, including internal).