Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Realistic memory limit?

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm on a shared hosting plan with HostGator. I'm currently using vb and thinking about a switch to IPB.

HostGator's memory limit is 64MB. 128MB is recommended for IPB as I understand.

My community that I'm thinking about transferring over has around 5,000 members, but only 200 or so active. I probably have no more than 15-20 people on at max at any given time. My db is around 1GB.

I do want to have features like ip.content and blogs, and do some customization (essentially, keep the features as close as I can on my current vb board).

Will I have troubles using IPB since my limit w/ my host is only 64MB?

Posted

I use DreamHost, their limit is 90mb. I haven't noticed any problems at all though my communities are rather small (about 10 active users at a time)

Posted

[quote name='Apokalupsis_ODN' timestamp='1282803611' post='2011550']
I'm on a shared hosting plan with HostGator. I'm currently using vb and thinking about a switch to IPB.

My community that I'm thinking about transferring over has around 5,000 members, but only 200 or so active. I probably have no more than 15-20 people on at max at any given time. My db is around 1GB.

I do want to have features like ip.content and blogs, and do some customization (essentially, keep the features as close as I can on my current vb board).

PHP 5.x has a minimum recommended limit of 128MB, not IP.Board

In terms of utilization you shouldn't run into many issues from day to day use unless you start to load up a lot of modifications etc, it may be more sensible to run the conversion through SSH instead of HTTP

That being said, if your host is using PHP5 and only allowing 64 MB for the memory limit they ARE over selling

Collin S. likes this

Posted

[quote name='Robulosity2' timestamp='1282805806' post='2011559']
PHP 5.x has a minimum recommended limit of 128MB, not IP.Board

In terms of utilization you shouldn't run into many issues from day to day use unless you start to load up a lot of modifications etc, it may be more sensible to run the conversion through SSH instead of HTTP

That being said, if your host is using PHP5 and only allowing 64 MB for the memory limit they ARE over selling

Hostgator allows max 64MB memory on shared plans. You have to get VPS for more (and increased bw, space, etc...). Their shared servers run PHP Version 5.2.14.

So you are saying that it is PHP 5.x that recommends the 128MB and not IPBoard? Would this make a difference on a shared account though? I mean, the entire server is using PHP 5.x, and obviously there is going to be several gigs of memory on this server which more than meet the requirements for PHP 5.x right? Or am I missing something?

Posted

[quote name='Apokalupsis_ODN' timestamp='1282806538' post='2011562']
So you are saying that it is PHP 5.x that recommends the 128MB and not IPBoard? Would this make a difference on a shared account though? I mean, the entire server is using PHP 5.x, and obviously there is going to be several gigs of memory on this server which more than meet the requirements for PHP 5.x right? Or am I missing something?

The memory limit is the amount of memory the server allows each PHP script to run.
So when someone accesses a script, any script, on your server, the server will allow it to use up to the memory limit and then kill it.

The default value as of PHP5 is 128M, correct, and that is what any respectable host should have.

Posted

Agree with Mark and if they wont put it up for you i'd be going elsewhere, sometimes its worth paying a little more to find a really good host :)

and that is what any respectable host should have.

Posted

[quote name='Mark' timestamp='1282810289' post='2011574']
The memory limit is the amount of memory the server allows each PHP script to run.
So when someone accesses a script, any script, on your server, the server will allow it to use up to the memory limit and then kill it.

The default value as of PHP5 is 128M, correct, and that is what any respectable host should have.

Can you recommend such a host? I realize you guys host...but I've just bought the software. Besides, I'm planning on customizing it a bit (and I know you don't allow file edits).

Posted

[quote name='Apokalupsis_ODN' timestamp='1282813083' post='2011587']
Can you recommend such a host? I realize you guys host...but I've just bought the software. Besides, I'm planning on customizing it a bit (and I know you don't allow file edits).

www.webhostingtalk.com is a good place to start, note they only disallow file edits on the Encoded versions.

If you already own a license you can still get their hosting and just use your license instead of the hosted one.. (At least I think, Mark or someone should be able to verify) that should resolve the inability to make file edits while making the IPS Hosted solution viable..

Posted

[quote name='Robulosity2' timestamp='1282814975' post='2011595']
www.webhostingtalk.com is a good place to start, note they only disallow file edits on the Encoded versions.

If you already own a license you can still get their hosting and just use your license instead of the hosted one.. (At least I think, Mark or someone should be able to verify) that should resolve the inability to make file edits while making the IPS Hosted solution viable..

That's correct. If you already own an IPB License, simply contact support and request that un-encoded files be uploaded to your hosting account. :thumbsup:

Posted

It is the rigidity of hostgator to have this limit of 64 mb. If one requires a memory of 128 mb - just for that one has to move to another hosting. that's exactly what I am doing. I feel cheated when I see hat this limit is not clearly mentioned ont he front page when I am buying up hosting fromt hem. What is mentioned on hostgator is UNLIMITED with a small astrix. Great marketing, poor service and facilities.

Can anyone please for God's sake recommend me a better shared hosting.

Posted

I can't recommend IPS hosting highly enough. Have had issues at other places, but the support through IPS is amazing. I have a license (unencoded files) and there really is something to be said for hosting with a host that is designed to handle your particular software choice.

I haven't had any issues with mine - and I'm on the lowest hosting plan. :D

AndyF likes this

Posted

Of course we will recommend our own hosting here. The good thing about hosting with us is that you'll never run into a situation where we believe an issue is caused by the host, but your host believes the issue is caused by the software (since we are providing both the software and the service).

That said, if you would like opinions on third party hosting, I recommend using a neutral site like http://theadminzone.com or http://webmasterworld.com , as we do not generally allow discussion of competing hosting companies on our site here. :)

AndyF likes this

Posted

[quote name='Apokalupsis_ODN' timestamp='1282803611' post='2011550']

Just wanted to add that I was on a shared HostGator plan until I switched to a VPS with ServInt just a few days ago, and I couldn't be happier. The 64 MB limit wasn't a problem, but their 25-process limit was, and as a result, my site periodically hung on visitors during busier times of the day. I generally had good experience with their support, but it is sadly true that they oversell and aren't nearly as clear about their actual limits as most would like.

My community has several hundred members, almost 17,000 posts, and a fair bit of activity (it's a new community, but it's growing quite quickly). Moving to a VPS not only gave me a fixed, dedicated set of resources (no overselling there), but also let me set up a few optimizations like APC and Sphinx, which have sped my forum up tremendously. I also enjoy the freedom of being able to install anything I want on my server (like multiplayer games, for instance) and tinker with it to my heart's content. But a VPS can be quite pricey, especially if you're used to cheap shared hosting, so I'm not sure if it's the right solution for you.

With that in mind, I'd recommend you strongly consider IPS's own hosting services. They're great value, and I'm sure IPS will know better than anyone how to tune the server environment for maximum performance in their own software. And although I have no experience with them as a host, their support for IP.Board so far has been exceptional and I'm sure they back their hosting up the same way.