14 replies to this topic

#1 theezy

theezy

IPB Full Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:24 AM

I am the owner of a discussion community running on vBulletin 3.8.5. I have a vb 4 license and I am contemplating upgrading the forum to vb4 but at the same time I have always been interested in IPB. What advantages (or disadvantages) would I gain for my community if I decided to sell/transfer my vb license and convert the forum to IPB instead?

Ive heard there is a lack of modifications for IPB as compared to vB. Is this true? Currently we use a cash / points system, moods, thank-you, awards, arcade, etc.. Are these available on IPB?

Thanks in advance for your help / advice. :)
  • oronoa likes this

Posted Image

#2 Mark

Mark

I dropped the "iggy"

• IPS Staff
  • 8,383 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:44 AM

Hi :)

Since you're on an IP.Board-related forum, you're of course going to get lots of answers in it's favour - by the same token, I image you also posted this at the vBulletin forums and will get lots of answers in its favour there :)
My best recommendation would be to try a demo of each product and make up your own mind :) You can sign up for an IP.Board demo here: http://www.invisionp.../suite/demo.php - if you need any help with that or would like a longer demo, just Email us (sales@invisionpower.com) or give us a call (1-800-901-5491 toll free).

With regards to modifications, it is true that if you go to our downloads area and compare the hard numbers to that of vBulletin's resource site, there are more modifications over there, however, this isn't really an accurate count since the different platforms have different features. When we ask people what modifications they need, we almost always find we have the feature built in, or we do indeed have a modification.
The modifications you asked for are all available: cash / points system, moods, thank-you, awards, arcade.

Mark Wade
Developer

zce-php5-3-logo.gif php5-zce-logo-new.gif

#3 theezy

theezy

IPB Full Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:28 AM

I will try out the demo! Thanks. :)

I was hoping to get some replies from people experienced in both software's here to tell me which is best and why. :P

Posted Image

#4 Collin S.

Collin S.

IP.Hippie

• +Clients
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:29 AM

I was hoping to get some replies from people experienced in both software's here to tell me which is best and why. :P

We have a large number of converts on our forums here, give them a bit of time and some should chime in. :thumbsup:
However, as Mark said, you'll likely run into bias on our forums, just as you would on the vB forums.
  • .Nuno. likes this

-Collin S.
Invision Power Services, Inc.

if mouthsize > handsize
boogaloo shrimp and pogo sticks

#5 theezy

theezy

IPB Full Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:34 AM

Ive seen a lot of unhappy people on the vb forums.

Anyway if I did actually decide to switch:
Does the IPB software package come with a free vB-to-IPB converter type program? How smooth is the conversion process? Will people have to reset their passwords? Will I find a bunch of scrambled codes everywhere? (ran into those problems when I converted from phpbb to vB)

Posted Image

#6 Collin S.

Collin S.

IP.Hippie

• +Clients
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:39 AM

Anyway if I did actually decide to switch:
Does the IPB software package come with a free vB-to-IPB converter type program? How smooth is the conversion process? Will people have to reset their passwords? Will I find a bunch of scrambled codes everywhere? (ran into those problems when I converted from phpbb to vB)

We offer a free self-converting tool. You can find more details about it here, and what it does/does not cover.
http://www.invisionp...ite/convert.php

As far as how Smooth the process is, that depends on dozens of variables. Most users have fairly smooth conversions, however every now and then a user will have some minor hiccups.

Not sure what you mean on "scrambled codes" as I believe most of everything converts fine. However, there are always exceptions. One of them that I discovered today, for example, was that our converter did not convert the AME BBcode into our media BBcode format. I've posted an XML file that patches that up for users in the resources section just this morning. But other than little nicks, most conversions go fine.

That being said, if you do run into any trouble, we offer a professional conversion service. Contact the sales team (Mark just posted the info for you) to learn more.

-Collin S.
Invision Power Services, Inc.

if mouthsize > handsize
boogaloo shrimp and pogo sticks

#7 rastaX

rastaX

Born Analog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

I switched from vB4 to IPB. I would say, IPB 3.1.x is better than vB4. It would be a lot more subjective to say the same about vB3.8.

There are pros and cons and some might disagree, but I found vB4 to be a mess. It set up fast and easy, but once I started using it, it was just one bug after another. Upgrades fixed bugs and replaced them with new ones. IPB is stable and runs smooth. IPContent is a pretty awesome program, but tough to get the hang of. I prefer a program that is difficult to use but works well over one that is easy to use but full of bugs.

Now that I am well on my way to having my board set back up on IPB, there is simply no comparison. The IPB board is better looking, functions smoother. It is a little slower loading, but not enough to worry me.

IMHO, IPB is the top forum software at the moment and once their product line matures, it should stay that way.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 A Walk in Faith

A Walk in Faith

Spam Happy

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

I converted from vB to IPB in April of this year and both myself and my members are glad we did.

For me, the deciding factor was long term. Looking at Internet Brands and the way they are running the vB company and then looking at IPS and how they run Invision, long term my trust is in IPB.

The developers here are in the forums, talking, listening, helping, explaining the why's what's and when's.. Over in the vB forums the people that are helping, Steve, Trevor and others all seem to want to help, but there is a disconnect. They don't have the answers as it seems they are 'not in the loop' of the developers and roadmap.

As far as less mods over here than there.. this is true, but not in a bad way. Most of the mods one would need or want are already built into IPB. A lot of the mods over at vb.org are only useful to a point.. It's a sheer numbers games. Quantity does not mean better. I have found that out by running both systems live.

When you do need something special done, there are a good number of developers that have, will or can create what you need.

I love IPB for the software, communication, community and more.. this is not to say they are 100% perfect, but they listen, which is MORE than vB is doing I feel.

Play with the demo or if your community is decent size and you really want to make sure, get the hosting option for a month or two and convert your data and play with a site with 'live' data and I would bet that you will find yourself liking IPB.

After you play with the demo if you have any questions, feel free to post them here, there are plenty of us that have switched from vB that will be glad to help you out.

Jamie
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:2-3

A Walk in Faith - A Christian Theological Site

#9 DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo

Hi, can I take your socks?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:07 AM

I'm also a vB convert. I converted earlier in the year and glad I did. I didn't wait for vB4's release though, I kinda knew what to expect just by their attitude over there and the way they ran things. Me being familiar with the IPS team and have used their products in the past. I knew what I was getting into by switching and I haven't looked back or regretted my decision of doing so. :) It's a great piece of software and you'll love it once you get the hang of how to do things in it :D

revad1.png

IPS 4.0 is looking pretty nice.
Need some activity to your forums? Want to get paid to post on forums? - Join Postloop and start getting traffic or money, today!

#10 Echelon One

Echelon One

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:45 PM

I have had IPB about a month now, along with IP.Downloads, IP.Gallery, IP.Content and IP.Nexus (beta), only had a few self-inflicted issues since I been using it, but they were easy enough to fix.

I have also got the vBulletin Pro Suite 4.0, which I am going to convert to IPB - the amount of useless coding is becoming worse with vB on each release. Today I checked the amount of unresolved bugs with vB4.0.6, a staggering 1,725!! And they are promising this and that to customers, whom think they are getting value for money, yes Internet Brands give you a good deal for your money, more bugs than you could ever wish for. When Jelsoft owned vBulletin it was solid, especially the 3 series - then Internet Brands came along and introduced bugs not only in their new vB4 but even in an update for vB3, and that was that. Goodbye, any solid products from vBulletin, while under Internet Brands, they are the only company that can make a bad script from a solid one.

The only thing I will be using my vBulletin license for is demonstrations of products and nothing else. Everyday, I see problems with vBulletin because I deal with support issues, that people are told by vBulletin Support to do various tasks that have nothing to do with the actual issue. It has got to the stage now, that I even recommend IPB over vBulletin products, and people are always pleased that they made the change. That reminds me, I will have to find if you have an affiliate system in place, because I will have more clients moving over very soon.

I must admit I was unsure of changing to IPB at first, but tried the demo out for 5 days, even though I purchased it on the 3rd day. A fine script and solid coding, I have found it quite easy to customize, then again I'm not new to coding. I did have IPB back in the days when it was free, but now it is just amazing, I am so glad I made the switch.

Nice one IPB, I am looking forward for your new product updates! The IP.Gallery, IP.Downloads, IP.Content and the forthcoming IP.Nexus.
  • Alex K., Claudia999, AlexJ and 2 others like this
Posted Image

#11 theezy

theezy

IPB Full Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:40 AM

Thanks all for the replies. You almost have me convinced but I have been to busy with life in the real world to think about forum upgrades at the moment. :P

Posted Image

#12 theezy

theezy

IPB Full Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

Well Ive converted to IPB.. I love the software! Was even able to sell my vB license and make back all+ the money I spent purchasing a new IPB license. :)
  • Alex K. likes this

Posted Image

#13 Magic Hands

Magic Hands

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

Welcome to IP.B! :) Congrats on being able to sell that license too!

I support the "Save the Vowels" movement. Please, type out your words. 차크라

#14 Anthony.

Anthony.

IPB Full Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

Welcome to the IPB family. :)

#15 theezy

theezy

IPB Full Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

Thanks all. The more I use it, learn it, and get better at it, the more I like it! :D

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users