29 replies to this topic

#1 SantaFighter

SantaFighter

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:49 AM

Hello,

Iam currently a IPB costumer, but not active. I wanna renew this software. before that I want you to tell me which software (vb or ipb) is the best?

thanks

#2 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:14 AM

Since this is an IP.Board forum, you're probably not going to get many people telling you vBulletin is better. If you want unbiased reviews of software, it's best to go someplace that doesn't focus one of the brands of software you're wanting to compare. If you have specific questions about what IP.Board can do, you can ask them in the pre sales forum, this forum is not for discussion of IPS's products.
  • IPB Bob, skinbydragonfly and Fantleas like this

Contact Me: Email · Facebook · Twitter · Google+

#3 Jaggi

Jaggi

Needs Hobby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:17 AM

My unbiased view is IPB is better... what... oh this ipb hat, tshirt i'm wearing and flag i'm waving... erm :ph34r:
  • skinbydragonfly and Olivier Turbis like this
IP.Tracker Project Developer
See my development site @ www.CodeTheInter.net (BETA)

Posted Image Posted Image

If you make it idiot proof, they'll build a better idiot

#4 A Walk in Faith

A Walk in Faith

Spam Happy

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

Well as someone that isn't part of the staff, developers or cheering section but has ran both systems... I will say without a doubt IPB.

For me, it's more, much more than the software itself. It's the community that is behind it and supports it. If it were JUST about the script, then you can get them for free, but with those there is no support, or lacking in support.

With IPB I can safely know my site will be up and running and if there is a problem I will have help fixing it. Since January when I downloaded the script I have used these forum and ticket support for a lot of things and each one of them has been answered. I have been only with IPB since April and I love it, my members love it and my SEO ranking loves it.

Weigh all that with the cost to run this system vs vB can it's easily to see, that without a doubt, without a second thought IPB wins over the others hands down.

Jamie
ok, so maybe I am part of the cheering section... :)
  • Matt, skinbydragonfly, Amged Osman and 1 other like this
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Ephesians 4:2-3

A Walk in Faith - A Christian Theological Site

#5 Jaggi

Jaggi

Needs Hobby

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:11 AM

ok, so maybe I am part of the cheering section... :)

/me looks at the blue and white pom poms your holding... :cheer: (management update this emoticon).
  • A Walk in Faith likes this
IP.Tracker Project Developer
See my development site @ www.CodeTheInter.net (BETA)

Posted Image Posted Image

If you make it idiot proof, they'll build a better idiot

#6 Chillyware

Chillyware

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

I have both IPB on day 0.0.1 and VB on old dos days BBS

I love IPB

And I hate new price off VB
All the things i mis in IPB, I use VB.

if I a star a new forum I will use IPB . :devil:
That all

#7 Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• +Clients
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:57 AM

Never ask these kinds of questions here.

Guess what? Everyone here is going to say IPB is better, it has a better community, better plug-ins, more available skins, etc.

Now go ask the same thing on the vBulletin Customer Forums and guess what?

Everyone there is going to say vB is better, it has a better community, better plug-ins, more available styles, etc.

Or go to XenForo, phpBB, MyBB, etc. and ask what is the best board software. Chances are people will be endorsing the native board software.
  • IPB Bob likes this

[superhighways]forum - (coming soon)

#8 Clickfinity

Clickfinity

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:30 AM

Hello,

Iam currently a IPB costumer, but not active. I wanna renew this software. before that I want you to tell me which software (vb or ipb) is the best?

thanks

Hi,

Tell us a bit more about yourself - are you comfortable messing with code / tweaking servers / etc., or are you a techno-newbie?

Do you just want forums? or do you want chat, gallery, downloads, etc.?

Do you have an active site? and if so, how many users / posts?

Have you tried any demo's of the different platforms available?

This exxtra info will help us give you better guidance about what may or may not be more suitable for your needs.

Cheers,
Shaun :D
  • Matt and A Walk in Faith like this

#9 ᴡᴅツ

ᴡᴅツ

⊙﹏⊙

• +Clients
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:48 AM

We're clients of IPB because we most likely think it's the best forum software out there at a competitively good price. vBulletin isn't bad really as a forum core; I just heard it's harder to skin, more expensive, and weak customer support.

Feature consistency across IP.Downloads and IP.Board for IP.Content

IPS, please look at the topics I've created regarding feature suggestions. There still are issues that haven't been addressed, as noted above, and the following, as well as this.

#10 Olivier Turbis

Olivier Turbis

suck-sex-full

• +Clients
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

I would say vBulletin all the way.

That was sarcasm...

#11 Mike54

Mike54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

S.F., I used vBulletin for five years (OK, OK, 4 years and 9 months) before converting four sites to IPB, 11 months ago. I have opened one more site since, also on IPB. I have no regrets, whatsoever. None.

The people associated with Invision are super, top to bottom. The software performance is solid as a rock. The community is extremely friendly and always willing to help. Any one of those makes my Invision licensing costs a true bargain. Put together? It's an unbeatable combination. You could not pay me to switch back to vBulletin (Or to switch to any other forum software, for that matter). I have found some of Invision's strongest selling points have to be experienced, to be fully appreciated. How can I adequately describe what it means when IPB developers and tech personnel go out of their way to help make my sites the best they can be? Better yet, how can I put a price on that level of customer service?

My sites run faster, present less load on the server, experience more traffic and produce more revenue than they ever did on vBulletin. It doubtless gives Charles cold chills :lol:, but I'm not budging off Invision, as long as I own forum sites.
  • skinbydragonfly and Anthony. like this

#12 alekm

alekm

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Like above I've used VB and switched to IPB, the community is tighter and less saturated with junk. I prefer IPB. :)
  • Anthony. likes this

#13 LBDC1004

LBDC1004

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

I am a VB customer of 8 years, and just made the switch to iPB today. After using about 6 demos i determined IPB was better for my type of community because new members claimed vb wasnt user friendly and the spam was out of control. I personally have been treated very well by the IPB community, and i get attention and responses fast. I even had a custom hack (hook sorry) made at a very good price here. My community has 100 k members and over 7 million posts, so it took alot for me to make the switch.
  • Matt and optrexnz like this

#14 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,607 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

I am a VB customer of 8 years, and just made the switch to iPB today. After using about 6 demos i determined IPB was better for my type of community because new members claimed vb wasnt user friendly and the spam was out of control. I personally have been treated very well by the IPB community, and i get attention and responses fast. I even had a custom hack (hook sorry) made at a very good price here. My community has 100 k members and over 7 million posts, so it took alot for me to make the switch.

Wow, that's a huge community. Hope everything continues going well (or, improves even) for you. :)
  • Matt likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#15 xLemur

xLemur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:16 AM

I've toyed with vB, and imo the ACP could've been laid out better by a first grader.

With IPB, the ACP is amazing, the only problem I have with 3.1.2 is the ACP dashboard changing.

So, IPB FTW!!

Edited by xLemur, 06 October 2010 - 01:17 AM.

#16 Kessler

Kessler

You don't know me.

• +Clients
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:20 AM

Personally, I believe IPB is better which is why I started using it long ago.

Being objective though, it comes down to what your needs are. For either product, there will be pros and cons. So it really depends on which one would suit your needs better than the other.

If you want to look at things from a cost standpoint, it would most likely be less expensive to renew your license than to purchase a vB license. I say most likely because depending on how long ago your license was purchase, it may not be renewable. If it is, then you're look at a minimal renewal cost compared to the cost of a brand new license.

If you want to consider the customer satisfaction factor, then you would need to find a site, such as TAZ, where you can get feedback from users of each with less fear of the material being edited or deleted to save face for the company.

If you're interested in what your visitors will find easier to use, then things such as familiarity, skin design and overall site layout can have a huge impact on it.

Since you already have a license, even if expired, you are going to be more familiar with IPB and how it functions, so from an admin perspective it would be easier for you to work with. You can try the demo for IPB and the add-ons and I'm sure vB has a way for you to demo their product as well. That's another way to decide which you feel will work better for you.

Please direct questions, comments and support requests to the appropriate locations
Customer Forums ~ Bug Tracker ~ Client Area Support
Pre-Sales ~ Feedback Forums ~ Modifications ~ Skinning
Submitting support tickets

#17 ørret

ørret

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:55 AM

You're asking on a IPB forum, you know that right? Anyone saying "go for vbulletin" is being sarcastic, just for your information... :P

#18 LacyFlowers

LacyFlowers

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:46 AM

http://www.theadminz...ead.php?t=72001

#19 alex.1096@yahoo.com

alex.1096@yahoo.com

IP.Board

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

Well on my perspective I've never like the layout of vB and the price too.

IPB is very user friendly and although I've never used vB I'd never switch there just because of feedback I've heard months by months etc.

#20 Meeko79

Meeko79

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:51 AM

Before purchasing IPB or Vbulletin I demoed them both (I was on Mybb at the time). And after trying out IPB (which I loved) I went to Vbulletin. It went alright until I went into the Admin Cp. After seeing it, I was disgusted at how cluttered it was, and then x'ed out and went back to IPB. So, from a neutral standpoint - IPB all the way! :D
  • Matt likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users