ᴡᴅツ

⊙﹏⊙

• +Clients
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:02 AM

How does Zenguard enhance security?

And I currently failed the check_requirements (shared server):

IP.Nexus Only: Checking for ability to load Zend Guard encoded files...FAIL

1) Is this something that people on shared server hosting can't install?
2) Will this slow down performance like it did with Ioncube?
3) This surely will hurt your market if many clients find this feature unnecessary.

Feature consistency across IP.Downloads and IP.Board for IP.Content

IPS, please look at the topics I've created regarding feature suggestions. There still are issues that haven't been addressed, as noted above, and the following, as well as this.

#2 NiftyWolfie

NiftyWolfie

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

I'm using a shared hosting plan and haven't had any problems using the encoded version.
  • Charles, Matt and Mark like this

#3 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:04 AM

We chose to encode it to maintain security of features that we add to Nexus as it develops over time. It is important to keep things dealing with finances as secure as possible and this is just another step we can take to maintain as high a level of security as possible. Shared hosting can still run encoded software - it is actually quite common to see encoded scripts out there particularly in the business marketplace.

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

#4 Daren @ IT

Daren @ IT

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:17 AM

We chose to encode it to maintain security of features that we add to Nexus as it develops over time. It is important to keep things dealing with finances as secure as possible and this is just another step we can take to maintain as high a level of security as possible. Shared hosting can still run encoded software - it is actually quite common to see encoded scripts out there particularly in the business marketplace.

And for all those out there wondering...is Zenguard FREE and is there a link to a download for this Zenguard?

If I had spotted this BEFORE I purchased I would have been a little slower to buy...

#5 Dan

Dan

the same

• +Clients
  • 4,293 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:22 AM

And for all those out there wondering...is Zenguard FREE and is there a link to a download for this Zenguard?

If I had spotted this BEFORE I purchased I would have been a little slower to buy...

Zend Guard encoded files can be opened by any server with Zend Optimizer compiled into PHP. It is freely available, and is common on most shared hosts. If your server has cPanel on it, it's a just a tickbox in EasyApache.

#6 .Ian

.Ian

Needs Life

• +Clients
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

Shame this was not announced prior to the selling of the product.

I always thought that IPS had stated that (apart from Converge - which Charles said may be unencoded in next version) there were no plans to fully encoded products.

Not sure what encoding has to do with security of financial information as that is controlled by SSL.
  • Haku2, Shadow82x, Tiki Tiki and 3 others like this

Add Comet Chat to your community :smile:  

Non League UK

Play safe and purchase IP.Board from IPS! - click here to buy

Converting from Vbulletin, phpBB or another forum to IPB? Click here for the conversion service - it might be free!

IPS Hosting - click here for the prices & specifications. Some packages include a free version of IP.Board!

#7 Daren @ IT

Daren @ IT

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

Zend Guard encoded files can be opened by any server with Zend Optimizer compiled into PHP. It is freely available, and is common on most shared hosts. If your server has cPanel on it, it's a just a tickbox in EasyApache.

It may well be free and easily available BUT for those with a CP that is Plesk on shared hosting without access to the php.ini files etc it is a pain...

so how do we go about installing this Zend?

Thanks

#8 tera▀yte

tera▀yte

Needs Hobby

• +Clients
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

It may well be free and easily available BUT for those with a CP that is Plesk on shared hosting without access to the php.ini files etc it is a pain...

so how do we go about installing this Zend?

Thanks

Here an article that might help you: http://community.inv...zend-guard-r536

#9 Daren @ IT

Daren @ IT

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:32 AM

Shame this was not announced prior to the selling of the product.

I always thought that IPS had stated that (apart from Converge - which Charles said may be unencoded in next version) there were no plans to fully encoded products.

Not sure what encoding has to do with security of financial information as that is controlled by SSL.

If they had announced it, I would have held off...now I have it but cannot install it :blink:

#10 Daren @ IT

Daren @ IT

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:34 AM

Here an article that might help you: http://community.inv...zend-guard-r536

Thanks, already seen that...

with respect

What if my server doesn't support zend guard encoded files?
If your server doesn't support zend guard encoded files you'll have to contact your hosting and ask them to install Zend Optimizer on the server. The download links are available in the quoted part of the FAQ above.

What if they say nope or it will cost úXXX?!

I am afraid that this needs to be in big, bold H1 text

THIS APP IS ENCODED WITH ZEND CHECK WITH YOUR HOST BEFORE PURCHASE.

JMTC
  • mat206, Tiki Tiki and Discorev like this

#11 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:36 AM

If you purchased IP.Nexus during the pre-sale and are unable to run, or do not wish to run, encoded files you can contact billing for a refund.

More information on encoding here: http://community.inv...zend-guard-r536
  • Haku2 likes this

Charles Warner

#12 Daren @ IT

Daren @ IT

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

If you purchased IP.Nexus during the pre-sale and are unable to run encoded files you can contact billing for a refund.

Hi Charles

Purchased it today as I was waiting for release and it was a mission critical element to me buying IPB...just waiting for feedback from my host.

Thanks
Daren

#13 ᴡᴅツ

ᴡᴅツ

⊙﹏⊙

• +Clients
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

Okay, if it's for security in the sense that they can't look at the code and find flaws, I understand. 2 questions:

1.) Does zenguard fight piracy in any way?
2.) Does zenguard slow down performance in any considerable way?

Feature consistency across IP.Downloads and IP.Board for IP.Content

IPS, please look at the topics I've created regarding feature suggestions. There still are issues that haven't been addressed, as noted above, and the following, as well as this.

#14 Mark

Mark

I dropped the "iggy"

• IPS Staff
  • 8,381 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:59 AM

Okay, if it's for security in the sense that they can't look at the code and find flaws, I understand. 2 questions:

1.) Does zenguard fight piracy in any way?
2.) Does zenguard slow down performance in any considerable way?

1. No. We are not using their license checking or using it for any purposes like that.
2. No. In fact, it is more likely to speed up execution.

Mark Wade
Developer

zce-php5-3-logo.gif php5-zce-logo-new.gif

#15 .Ian

.Ian

Needs Life

• +Clients
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:08 AM

Thanks.

What plans are there to encode other apps?

Add Comet Chat to your community :smile:  

Non League UK

Play safe and purchase IP.Board from IPS! - click here to buy

Converting from Vbulletin, phpBB or another forum to IPB? Click here for the conversion service - it might be free!

IPS Hosting - click here for the prices & specifications. Some packages include a free version of IP.Board!

#16 tera▀yte

tera▀yte

Needs Hobby

• +Clients
  • 4,156 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:13 AM

Thanks.

What plans are there to encode other apps?

None as far as I know, Nexus is 'special' because it deals with money.

#17 Daren @ IT

Daren @ IT

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:14 AM

All installed by my host and I have to say...

I was right to buy...or was I

All I get now is a blank page in my admin. Time to move over to the support forums.

Regards
Daren
  • NiftyWolfie and Ikadon like this

#18 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:16 AM

All installed by my host and I have to say...

I was right to buy

Nice work guys

Regards
Daren

Glad to see everything is working for you. Be sure to let us know how we can improve IP.Nexus and any bugs you find. It's brand new so we are looking forward to lots of feedback :)

Charles Warner

#19 steve00

steve00

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

Now why go and spoil it and encode it

I am running a test forum etc on home pc and do not have zend installed and do not want zend installed

The purpose of purchasing full licenses of your products is so they would not be encoded.

So now have to ask for refund, as was stated previously there was no mention anywhere before purchasing that Nexus would be encoded

What a waste of time that was for me, just got almost everything all set up from the release on 30th Oct and now cannot use.

Been waiting for Nexus for ages and now cannot use it :(

==================================================================================

If you like my answer or it solves your question then please mark my reply as 'Like' or 'Best Answer' 

==================================================================================

Video Tutorials: Change Primary Nav Links - Import 3.4.x skin

World Clock Hook - Member's local time, and time in up to 6 cities around the world

Having trouble upgrading your skins, we can upgrade your IPB skins for you - PM me for further info.

My IPB 3.4.6 Skins: NEW BurningSky - Cobolt - Cerulean - ChritmasTime - Christmas - NOTE: ALL OUR 3.4.5 Skins work with 3.4.6 & require no changes

My IPB 3.4.5 Skins: GreenTheme - BlueSwirl - BlueWaveBlueToneRed Theme - RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone - AmplifiedBlue 

My IPB 3.4.4 Skins: RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone - AmplifiedBlue 

My IPB 3.4.3 Skins: RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone

My IPB 3.4.2 Skins: RedBase

My IPB 3.4.1 Skins (ONLY $10 EACH): Red GlassGoldenTheme - Scarletise - Purple Grain - GrimsonGrey - ViridisAureus - Red Devil - Carbonise

My IPB 3.3.4 Skins: Carbonise - Purple Grain - Blue Grain - Scarletise - CrimsonGrey - Red Devil - ViridisAureus

#20 AndyF

AndyF

iQA4u

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,471 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:36 AM

You should be able to install Zend on your home pc test setup :) , I doubt if it would be any more difficult than installing Ioncube the same way, which is very easy.

Most hosts will have Zend installed anyway I imagine, and those that do not have it enabled as default, a quick ticket should hopefully get it enabled on your account.

Edited by ΑndyF, 02 November 2010 - 10:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users