Paypal Subscription only

56 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Guys,
I am currently using nexus as a replacement for subscriptions and therefore would like people to only be able to subscribe to payments on particular items and not just make one of payments. Is it possible for me to just have the subscription link on a particular item? If not could this feature be implemented?

GoldDust, chilihead, Rοb and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

[quote name='soniceffect' timestamp='1289137212' post='2039361']
Hi Guys,
I am currently using nexus as a replacement for subscriptions and therefore would like people to only be able to subscribe to payments on particular items and not just make one of payments. Is it possible for me to just have the subscription link on a particular item? If not could this feature be implemented?

if you are referring to weekly or monthly recurring payments then you can find that under "Pricing" "Renewels" just state what time duration and cost and it should work but if your referring to auto paypal recurring payments then i cannot see that in the nexus panel myself, but i'm sure you can set that up at paypal side,

other than that, you might want to submit a ticket to the main team that designed the system and see what they can make of what your requesting

Note, After second look myself "yes under Payment Gateway", Paypal there are 2 radio buttoms 1 saying activate gateway and 2 Enable PayPal Subscriptions Support?,

now is that the answer you were looking for/

if so, then ignore the rest of this post

if not, then refer to post

Edited by Ashcroft31
Blind Bandit likes this

Posted

I'm concerned about this as well, my site has run on auto renewing subscriptions for years and IP Subscriptions fit right into that. I have now installed ip nexus and it seems that the auto renewing part is gone and all my accounts have already been transferred. I am on the fence of if I really regret making the jump to nexus. Is there any fix for this?

I do love the increased functionality but this is kind of a deal-breaker. I thought it was supposed to be a replacement?

Posted

IP.Nexus has PayPal subscriptions (that works much better than IP.Subscriptions ;)) but it also gives the user the option to make a one-off payment if they so choose (and then will just expire the package if they don't renew).

Not sure what difference it makes - people will just cancel the PayPal subscription if they want to stop paying.

Posted

[quote name='Mark' timestamp='1289210248' post='2039789']
IP.Nexus has PayPal subscriptions (that works much better than IP.Subscriptions ;)) but it also gives the user the option to make a one-off payment if they so choose (and then will just expire the package if they don't renew).

Not sure what difference it makes - people will just cancel the PayPal subscription if they want to stop paying.

I guess I was unclear on that, that sounds reasonable.

Posted

I think it would be better if the option still existed nonetheless because if the subscription is intended to be recurring, having only that option would imply it. Of course they could cancel it from their paypal and Nexus would recognize it as canceled. If this doesn't go into Nexus, I understand, but is there a way for those that want to do it? I'm not experienced at creating php code, so I would greatly appreciate it when you get the time (that's IF you consider it)

Thanks

CallieJo likes this

Posted

OK to give you my example. I have a site sponsor subscription which is a regular donation towards the forum. The section is available to anyone who subscribes to a monthly donation on my site, so I dont want people signing up for it then just making the one of payment as that defeats the object of having it in the first place, as I wil get some who will do it just for a month to gain access for that month then not bother whether they lose it afterwards or not. The reality is generally if people site up to a subscription that is automatic of this kind they are more likley to keep with that subscription. Therefore IMO just for this simple thing IP.Nexus is actually worse for me than subscriptions was because at least with subscriptions it only did a subscribable item as a recuring payment if I chose the recuring payment option. The work that has gone into nexus is excellent, however I can honestly say had I known this in advance I would never have purchased it. Something so simple, yet it is so very important IMO.

Circo and Sat0ri like this

Posted

[quote name='soniceffect' timestamp='1289420674' post='2040946']so I dont want people signing up for it then just making the one of payment as that defeats the object of having it in the first place, as I wil get some who will do it just for a month to gain access for that month then not bother whether they lose it afterwards or not.

I totally understand your issue, /I think alot of content providers struggle with the same issue.
In reality, you would fare better with some sort of annual (eg; long term) subscription with incremental (eg; monthly) installments.

TO THE DEVS: I think the question here is this:

If so choosing paypal recurring payments, will a package expire after a single term (requiring manual renewal) or will the package renew and automatically bill the client unless canceled?

Circo likes this

Posted

[quote name='redg8r' timestamp='1291912294' post='2053817']
I totally understand your issue, /I think alot of content providers struggle with the same issue.
In reality, you would fare better with some sort of annual (eg; long term) subscription with incremental (eg; monthly) installments.

TO THE DEVS: I think the question here is this:

If so choosing paypal recurring payments, will a package expire after a single term (requiring manual renewal) or will the package renew and automatically bill the client unless canceled?

If the customer chooses to use PayPal Subscriptions, they will be automatically billed.

Posted

OK Going back to this...... The whole problem in the first place for me (and I suspect others) is that I give people a service on my forum if they "Subscribe" to donations. However I cannot since updating to ip.content ensure that this is the only option a user has on these items.

Basically I want to add an item which can only be purchased using an automatic monthly subscription because this is the whole idea of the package type. If they choose the single payment option, they simply havent purchased that item and instead just made a donation. I am giving people on my forum extras because they set up a monthly automatic payment that pays for our servers.

Circo, 7SiN and Sat0ri like this

Posted

+1 for having an option to only show the Paypal Subscribe button when people select a product with monthly payments. That's basically the whole reason we want monthly payments, so that people can set it and forget it. Lots of people are bound to hit the wrong button when you have both there

Sat0ri and Circo like this

Posted

[quote name='soniceffect' timestamp='1289137212' post='2039361']
Hi Guys,

Sure you can that is what I did few months ago it is much better having more features such like client area. :thumbsup:

Posted

Is there a way also to OMIT the Quantity column for a monthly subscription? I have 3 packages 2/5/10 per month but why would someone choose to add a qty to these.

Posted

[quote name='Ryan11433' timestamp='1292838826' post='2058178']
Sure you can that is what I did few months ago it is much better having more features such like client area. :thumbsup:

I completely agree its better having more features. The problem I have is losing features I already had that are important :( and also seemly not getting an answer as to whether it will be added or not.

Circo likes this

Posted

I completely agree with all of the above sentiments. Many subscription servers offered through Nexus should stack with each other and add time, so you can't have multiple subscriptions running in parallel. The software should also allow us to flag packages as subscription only, and remove the option to have one time payments with invoices sent (that people generally miss)

Circo likes this

Posted

Yes, we need the ability to offer one-time or subscription per subscription duration.

If I want to offer a $25 subscription, I want this as a one time payment.
I would also like to offer this same subscription for $2.50/month recurring.

The way it is now (unless I am missing something), they could choose $25 recurring or one-time, or $2.50 recurring or one-time. That is no good if we have specifically set these prices up for one or the other.

Circo likes this

Posted

Hopefully if enough of us bring up this point they will add this back in, especially for us that upgraded from subscriptions and now have the economy of our websites screwed up because of this. Has anyone else noticed this is one of the more active topics in the Nexus section?

Honestly as far as I can tell, the DEV team is all but ignoring this issue. And to me it is a massive oversight and hurtful to their customer base. I regret ever upgrading to nexus, the other features are great and I utilize them, but this may just put my site out of business if I don't make a change soon.

Posted

[quote name='Mark' timestamp='1297250189' post='2078203']
I'm not ignoring you - we just can't add every feature request immediately :)

I understand that but this thread is 3 months old, and its a feature you pulled out not a new one, and it's a VERY costly problem. And it's hard to stay happy when revenues have dropped every month since installing IP.Nexus! :(

It would be nice to have a timeline, or even a definite answer if this is going to be fixed

Posted

Hello,

I'm also interested to know if/when this issue is going to be addressed.

One of my sites (IPB 2.1) is still using the old subscriptions software (auto-renewals) generating between 1k - 1.5k USD per month, which for obvious reasons I'm not prepared to tamper with unless I know I can keep the same set-up.

Look forward to hearing from you! :)

Circo likes this

Posted

I put a request in the modification section to see if someone could possibly make a hook that would disable the PayPal Pay Now button in specific listings, that would show only the subscription button and would fix the problem. So hopefully that may be a possibility for a quick fix to this. :thumbsup:

Posted

This issue STILL hasn't been solved? I am in the same boat as you guys. I cannot upgrade to IP.Nexus until this very simple but obviously important issue has been fixed. I would rather let the DEV team officially put this in rather than 3rd Party who at any time can stop updating it.

...Sigh -_-'

Circo likes this

Posted

[quote name='VioAdmin' timestamp='1298474501' post='2083496']
This issue STILL hasn't been solved? I am in the same boat as you guys. I cannot upgrade to IP.Nexus until this very simple but obviously important issue has been fixed. I would rather let the DEV team officially put this in rather than 3rd Party who at any time can stop updating it.

...Sigh -_-'

So far no luck on third part development anyway, I jumped in before checking so fingers crossed for soon. >_<

Posted

+1 on the SUBSCRIPTION ONLY option...

We didn't realize about the "two choices" function in IP.Nexus until too late (since it's not documented anywhere), and upgraded from IP.Subscriptions thinking that Nexus would provide everything we had before (this is how it was advertised).

To date, just in the past month, we're already looking at a significant loss in recurring revenue thanks to this oversight.

ASAP, please, we need the option to specify "subscription only" for products.

I'm a little miffed, as this is frankly a no-brainer and should be have been considered with the first release, or at least in the first update.

Don't wait too long, this is a biggie... IPB RULES, don't fail us now. ;)

Pfeiffer, chilihead, Rοb and 1 other like this