Page-title is not honored when using {parse articles}

82 posts in this topic

Posted

I've noticed in the demo setup of IP.Content that the index.html page thats actually has been named 'mygreathomepage.de' is showing 'Articles' in the <title> html field. It took me some searching and i found that no matter what your page title is, it's getting overwritten when you use

{parse articles}

to display the article frontpage on any page. this is very annoying as i need a proper title for my website. changing the title of the articles isn't any good as the breadcrumb navigation doesn't quite make sense then :(

in my case my <title> of my homepage should be: 'greatdomain.com - the place to search for stuff', the articles should be named 'articles'

I've opened this as a bug, bfarber explained to me that this was the default before but he had changed it. Now he's asking for some feedback :)

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/issue-26337-page-title-is-not-honored-when-using-parse-articles/

Posted

I agree, the only way to currently fix this is to rename the articles, which, as you explained, is not a good choice in every situation, especially when you've embedded the articles in multiple pages.

Posted

+1 I too just came across this too.

Posted

Now, I just want to point out that what is requested is how the software *used to* function. The page title set for the page itself was used, but there were complaints that the page title should update dynamically with the articles.

If we were to make this change, I presume you'd want the title specified for the page itself to only apply on the articles "homepage", and still have the page title update dynamically when you view individual articles or categories?

Posted

I would prefer the current implementation where the document title is dynamic based on the page loaded however - also would like to append my site title header as well

Articles - The My Forum Name some catchy tagline

Ikadon likes this

Posted

I agree with Stephen D - the site title header should be appened as well. But actually i'd like to see a distinction between the actual homepage (meaning the index.html page you get when you open www.yourgreatdomain.com) and a subpage with an article because my index.html should only have the name of my website, not have the "Articles" word appended.

The best way in my opinion would be the following:

[*]On the page where you insert {parse articles}, the title of that page - and only that- should be used[*]On any sub-page that shows an article the <title> field should be "<title of the article> (name of the page that it's embedded in)"

Let's say we have two cases available (are there others?):

[*]<title> of page with {parse articles}[*]<title> of a page with {parse articles} that displays an article

[*]$_article_title[*]$_page_title[*]$_website_name

While my board is called 'My Board' my Website is actually called something very different, so it would not be enough to just use the board name setting.

Then I could build myself custom titles like "$_website_name: $_article_title ($_page_title)" or the "$_article_title ($_page_title)" example from above.

In the settings itself there'd be three variables to enter for the two cases above:

When i think about it, it really would be great to have a customizeable setting within IP.Content like the Date & Time Format settings where you could specify with a set of variables what you want to see.

Posted

I really don't think we need to have ACP configurable page titles. I think we just need to agree on the best path and stick with that. ;)

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1291759384' post='2053121']
I really don't think we need to have ACP configurable page titles. I think we just need to agree on the best path and stick with that. ;)

I personnaly would like to have ACP configurable page titles for setting up a title per page. Or learn how to code my page so I can set the page title in HTML. For the moment the only thing we see when we reach my website is "index.html" as the title. I just don't know how to code these things, the normal

<head>
<title>My first web page</title>
</head>

doesn't work for me.

Posted

Oh forget my comment, I just have to use

Give this page a name
Used to identify page, and as the page title

LoL...

Posted

I agree with the OP, my articles system is called 'News' and i have it (soon live) as the home page. When guests enter my domain they see 'News', and im guessing that Google will name my main domain 'News' to? Instead of 'My Domain Title'. Not to mention if you bookmark the domain...

Posted

[quote name='Twallden' timestamp='1291838707' post='2053439']
I agree with the OP, my articles system is called 'News' and i have it (soon live) as the home page. When guests enter my domain they see 'News', and im guessing that Google will name my main domain 'News' to? Instead of 'My Domain Title'. Not to mention if you bookmark the domain...

exactly that's the case right now and thats not really the best thing ;)

Posted

This issue got me very frustrated and when I opened a ticket the tech was very confused because I call the main page the page you bring up when you type the domain into the address bar with out any thing before or after.

I also went them to have different titles as well as different content. The pages should be configured to allow you to pick the title or use the name of the page. Here is my thoughts on how this should work though.

Say you have the main page using IP.content (domain.com)and you have your forum at domain.com/forums and want domain.com to have different content and a different title then the main ip.content page (domain.com/forums/index.php?app=ccs). In the advanced settings where you set the location for the index.php it should allow you to choose which page and title to use to display that page, making what ever page you create coming up when you go to domain.com, which would allow you to have different blocks displayed.

Hope that makes sense.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1291759384' post='2053121']

I do not mind the pages taking on the name of the page. Like for instance I have a page called tags as I created my own tags page do to ip.content not having a taging system. I do not mind that page being called tags.

What I want is the main page using the name of the site. Maybe just one option under the advanced settings that allows you to use the name of the site or custom title on just that page. The other pages them selves are fine.

Posted

Same here. On one hand we got IP.SEO and the possibility to create a IP.Content Page as our Home/Start, whatever Page, the http://www.yoursite.com/index.php. and then it is named articles???? What the heck?
Please change it to web and SEO standarts.

Posted

[quote name='mighty_merged' timestamp='1292878243' post='2058472']
Please change it to web and SEO standarts.

web and SEO standarts (I assume "standards")? There are web standards that dictate how to appropriately code CSS and HTML, but there is no such thing as SEO standards, nor are there any web standards that dictate what page title you should use.

Posted

Well I know I was told you can not have 2 pages with the same content as that is against some SEO rule. So this breaks that rule.

Posted

Speaking about SEO, this really is a problem. According to various sources your title should always contain the name of your website AND the content you are watching. We have that in the forums with

Forum-Name > Forums Category

Topic-Title - Forum-Name

Your index page should only contain the name of your website. We really need to achieve that in IP.Content

Posted

[quote name='DReffects2' timestamp='1292950607' post='2058760']
Speaking about SEO, this really is a problem. According to various sources your title should always contain the name of your website AND the content you are watching. We have that in the forums with

Forum-Name > Forums Category

Topic-Title - Forum-Name

Your index page should only contain the name of your website. We really need to achieve that in IP.Content

I totally agree.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1292947393' post='2058734']
web and SEO standarts (I assume "standards")? There are web standards that dictate how to appropriately code CSS and HTML, but there is no such thing as SEO standards, nor are there any web standards that dictate what page title you should use.

Sorry about not nativly speaking english but it seems that all others understanding my point: I simply don't want my homepage titled "articles" neither want I change a parent category to the name of my website. you privide a way to make ip.content the homepage of a website you should have thought about that.

For sure there arent any webstandards for naming a page because this common sense - or why isn't the ips frontpage titled "articles"?

Posted

[quote name='mighty_merged' timestamp='1292954376' post='2058792']
or why isn't the ips frontpage titled "articles"?

I am thinking they uses a heavily modded version as it looks like it, that and I think they have 2 installed as I think part of the forum is using it.

Posted

1) IP.Content USED to function how you are describing. We got complaints that the page should take on the database name, thus it was changed. What you are seeing here is counter-complaints that no, it shouldn't take on the page name.

There is no standard, and there is no "right or wrong" way to do this. There are differing opinions, so we'll consider both sides and make a decision moving forward. Simply voice your support for how you feel the page title should apply when you embed a database and we'll take it into consideration.

2) Our website does not use the articles/database systems. Each page is an actual page in the page manager. That's why it doesn't say articles. Our website does not use a modified version of IP.Content - it's a completely stock installation (although each page and some of the page features are, of course, our own custom php blocks or javascript code).

3)

I thought this topic was about the page title....what does this topic have to do with multiple pages having the same content? :unsure:

Well I know I was told you can not have 2 pages with the same content as that is against some SEO rule. So this breaks that rule.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1293029923' post='2059075']

I thought this topic was about the page title....what does this topic have to do with multiple pages having the same content? :unsure:

Because the 2 issues are related. You solve one you solve both. I have explained that above.

Posted

Here is my idea better explained that should solve the title problem for every one.

If you use the index.php that is in the tools folder of the IP.content download to generate the root page/ main page/ front page (domain.com). It should have a different title then (domain.com/forums/index.php?app=ccs) and different content as well. By allowing both of those to show different pages then the option in the page setting called "Give this page a name
Used to identify page, and as the page title" will give your root page (domain.com) a different title then (domain.com/forums/index.php?app=ccs) I know in the settings you can pick which page shows up as default how ever it effects both domain.com and domain.com/forums/index.php?app=ccs which does not solve the issue. By having another option to choose page under the advanced settings where you set the domain.com settings for choosing a page for just that(domain.com). That way which ever page is choosen is used to generate the main page as well as the title as it takes the title from the "Give this page a name
Used to identify page, and as the page title". Also setting "Articles Title" in the article configuration should only effect domain.com/forums/index.php?app=ccs and not domain.com.

Posted

As i've suggested before it would be perfect to have a settings field that works like the 'short date' settings field where you can specify the form of title you want.

Some users may want to use "$page_title - $db_item_title" other might want to use "$db_item_title ($page_title) - $website_name" and so on.

We need a set of variables for this and a set of settings.I'd suggest at least two, preferable more settings where we can construct our title depending on where whe are in the frontend in IP.Content or what sort of item we are displaying. Those are the different cases that come to my mind:

• <title> of an ordinary page (without any databases in it)
  • <title> of page with {parse articles}
  • <title> of a page with {parse articles} that displays a category
  • <title> of a page with {parse articles} that displays an article/db record

Brandon, I am wondering why you're fighting this thing so much. I get that people complained that the database name should be in the title and you've changed that. But having ONLY the database-name in the title is in my opionion really the absolute worst case you can have ;)

Posted

Are you wanting to add the title in the page code DReffects2?

I think it would be easier to use the page title system that is in place but have a box you can check that will allow you to include the site name, by default it would be unchecked.

Having it in the code would still make domain.com the same of domain.com/forums/index.php?app=ccs which I am getting is not a good thing. I mean the titles the same unless I am reading what you are saying incorrectly.

I know another system that does use <title> to display the title and if you leave it blank it uses the site name.