• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:00 PM

I've noticed in the demo setup of IP.Content that the index.html page thats actually has been named 'mygreathomepage.de' is showing 'Articles' in the <title> html field. It took me some searching and i found that no matter what your page title is, it's getting overwritten when you use

{parse articles}

to display the article frontpage on any page. this is very annoying as i need a proper title for my website. changing the title of the articles isn't any good as the breadcrumb navigation doesn't quite make sense then :(

in my case my <title> of my homepage should be: 'greatdomain.com - the place to search for stuff', the articles should be named 'articles'

I've opened this as a bug, bfarber explained to me that this was the default before but he had changed it. Now he's asking for some feedback :)

http://community.inv...parse-articles/

#2 Ikadon

Ikadon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:28 AM

I agree, the only way to currently fix this is to rename the articles, which, as you explained, is not a good choice in every situation, especially when you've embedded the articles in multiple pages.

#3 Ocean West

Ocean West

I've got an idea!

• +Clients
  • 871 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:28 AM

+1 I too just came across this too.
Founder & Administrator FMForums.com
Worldwide FileMaker Community

#4 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,648 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:28 PM

Now, I just want to point out that what is requested is how the software *used to* function. The page title set for the page itself was used, but there were complaints that the page title should update dynamically with the articles.

If we were to make this change, I presume you'd want the title specified for the page itself to only apply on the articles "homepage", and still have the page title update dynamically when you view individual articles or categories?

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#5 Ocean West

Ocean West

I've got an idea!

• +Clients
  • 871 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

I would prefer the current implementation where the document title is dynamic based on the page loaded however - also would like to append my site title header as well

Articles - The My Forum Name some catchy tagline
  • Ikadon likes this
Founder & Administrator FMForums.com
Worldwide FileMaker Community

#6 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

I agree with Stephen D - the site title header should be appened as well. But actually i'd like to see a distinction between the actual homepage (meaning the index.html page you get when you open www.yourgreatdomain.com) and a subpage with an article because my index.html should only have the name of my website, not have the "Articles" word appended.

The best way in my opinion would be the following:
  • On the page where you insert {parse articles}, the title of that page - and only that- should be used
  • On any sub-page that shows an article the <title> field should be "<title of the article> (name of the page that it's embedded in)"
When i think about it, it really would be great to have a customizeable setting within IP.Content like the Date & Time Format settings where you could specify with a set of variables what you want to see.

Let's say we have two cases available (are there others?):
  • <title> of page with {parse articles}
  • <title> of a page with {parse articles} that displays an article
In the settings itself there'd be three variables to enter for the two cases above:
  • $_article_title
  • $_page_title
  • $_website_name
Then I could build myself custom titles like "$_website_name: $_article_title ($_page_title)" or the "$_article_title ($_page_title)" example from above.

While my board is called 'My Board' my Website is actually called something very different, so it would not be enough to just use the board name setting.

#7 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,648 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

I really don't think we need to have ACP configurable page titles. I think we just need to agree on the best path and stick with that. ;)

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#8 MycoQuebec

MycoQuebec

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

I really don't think we need to have ACP configurable page titles. I think we just need to agree on the best path and stick with that. ;)

I personnaly would like to have ACP configurable page titles for setting up a title per page. Or learn how to code my page so I can set the page title in HTML. For the moment the only thing we see when we reach my website is "index.html" as the title. I just don't know how to code these things, the normal

<head>
<title>My first web page</title>
</head>

doesn't work for me.

#9 MycoQuebec

MycoQuebec

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

Oh forget my comment, I just have to use

Give this page a name
Used to identify page, and as the page title

LoL...

#10 Tony W

Tony W

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:05 PM

I agree with the OP, my articles system is called 'News' and i have it (soon live) as the home page. When guests enter my domain they see 'News', and im guessing that Google will name my main domain 'News' to? Instead of 'My Domain Title'. Not to mention if you bookmark the domain...

#11 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

I agree with the OP, my articles system is called 'News' and i have it (soon live) as the home page. When guests enter my domain they see 'News', and im guessing that Google will name my main domain 'News' to? Instead of 'My Domain Title'. Not to mention if you bookmark the domain...

exactly that's the case right now and thats not really the best thing ;)

#12 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

This issue got me very frustrated and when I opened a ticket the tech was very confused because I call the main page the page you bring up when you type the domain into the address bar with out any thing before or after.

I also went them to have different titles as well as different content. The pages should be configured to allow you to pick the title or use the name of the page. Here is my thoughts on how this should work though.

Say you have the main page using IP.content (domain.com)and you have your forum at domain.com/forums and want domain.com to have different content and a different title then the main ip.content page (domain.com/forums/index.php?app=ccs). In the advanced settings where you set the location for the index.php it should allow you to choose which page and title to use to display that page, making what ever page you create coming up when you go to domain.com, which would allow you to have different blocks displayed.

Hope that makes sense.
otakuplayground.com is my site.

#13 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

I do not mind the pages taking on the name of the page. Like for instance I have a page called tags as I created my own tags page do to ip.content not having a taging system. I do not mind that page being called tags.

What I want is the main page using the name of the site. Maybe just one option under the advanced settings that allows you to use the name of the site or custom title on just that page. The other pages them selves are fine.

#14 mighty_merged

mighty_merged

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

Same here. On one hand we got IP.SEO and the possibility to create a IP.Content Page as our Home/Start, whatever Page, the http://www.yoursite.com/index.php. and then it is named articles???? What the heck?
Please change it to web and SEO standarts.

#15 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,648 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

Please change it to web and SEO standarts.

web and SEO standarts (I assume "standards")? There are web standards that dictate how to appropriately code CSS and HTML, but there is no such thing as SEO standards, nor are there any web standards that dictate what page title you should use.

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#16 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

Well I know I was told you can not have 2 pages with the same content as that is against some SEO rule. So this breaks that rule.

#17 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

Speaking about SEO, this really is a problem. According to various sources your title should always contain the name of your website AND the content you are watching. We have that in the forums with

Forum-Name > Forums Category

Topic-Title - Forum-Name

Your index page should only contain the name of your website. We really need to achieve that in IP.Content

#18 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

Speaking about SEO, this really is a problem. According to various sources your title should always contain the name of your website AND the content you are watching. We have that in the forums with

Forum-Name > Forums Category

Topic-Title - Forum-Name

Your index page should only contain the name of your website. We really need to achieve that in IP.Content

I totally agree.

#19 mighty_merged

mighty_merged

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

web and SEO standarts (I assume "standards")? There are web standards that dictate how to appropriately code CSS and HTML, but there is no such thing as SEO standards, nor are there any web standards that dictate what page title you should use.

Sorry about not nativly speaking english but it seems that all others understanding my point: I simply don't want my homepage titled "articles" neither want I change a parent category to the name of my website. you privide a way to make ip.content the homepage of a website you should have thought about that.

For sure there arent any webstandards for naming a page because this common sense - or why isn't the ips frontpage titled "articles"?

#20 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

or why isn't the ips frontpage titled "articles"?

I am thinking they uses a heavily modded version as it looks like it, that and I think they have 2 installed as I think part of the forum is using it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users