• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

All the index.php file is intended to do is allow you to show the IP.Content pages outside of the forums. That is it's sole intention. So, when you first visit it (at domain.com for example), it loads your default page.

The index.php?app=ccs URL ALSO has to show the default page. What else would it show?

Going by your example, none of the other applications show you two different default pages. This is hard to understand, perhaps, because none of the other apps also let you show the pages outside of the forums, but it's not like /index.php?app=gallery and /gallery show you two different pages, do they? This is the same idea.

I was going by how this site works and how other sites on the web work. So I thought the intention of the index.php file was more of a portal to use with IP.contnet then a file to show the default page of the Ip.content. It was not until you just now explained it that way that what you are saying is less confusing. However I still would much rather it be a portal page then show the default Ip.content page.

Any way that is why I did not think it was consistent with the rest of the apps as I was looking at it as a completely different app all together. So to give you a better idea of how I was looking at it. If the gallery worked like Ip.content at least the way I was viewing it. If you installed the Gallery you would then no longer be able to get to the forum or at least not have an easy way to get to it as every time you pulled up the forum it would go to the gallery. It does not however work that way so I was confused as to why Ip.content worked that way.

This site (invisionpower.com) should be a better example of how the software works. I mean I did find out you have 2 installs of the forum and Ip.content to get the site to work the way I was thinking it worked. I do not want to have to have 2 installs to get my site to work the way this one does. Honestly though if Ip.content did work the way I want this site could go to just having one install instead of 2.

So basically my idea is to change the purpose of index.php to show what ever page the user wants. That way they can make it show the Ip.content default page or have it show a portal like page.

Also you examples do not exactly match with how I was thinking Ip.content worked, but does give me a better idea of what you intended it to do. A better example is the gallery one I gave above. Another one would be and probably the best example would be the Ip.portal. If the ip.portal worked the way the index.php file worked then all it would do is pull up the forum however it does not so in my thinking Ip.content does not follow the rules of the other apps.
otakuplayground.com is my site.

#42 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

If others agree the website name should be included, that's fine. I don't mind doing that, because that is much more consistent with the rest of the IP.Board applications (look at this page title, for instance).

Whohooo! :)

@Amy
Hm i have to agree with bfarber here - all the index.php does is to display the ip.content default page outside of your forums path. this is nicer than having your domain redirected to ?app=content thingy thing. Could you specify a specific example why one would need different content at the domain.com address and the link from the forums? as bfarber suggested you could achieve this by removing all links within your board wrapper :)

#43 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

I honestly did not know it was a redirect until bfarber pointed it out. It was confusing me by being a redirect.

Not sure what you mean by link from the forums but an example is this site invisionpower.com, when you pull up that page it pulls up the content from their home page. If they were to run Ip.content's index.php the way we are and only have one install when you pulled up invisionpower.com it would pull up the market place. Now that would greatly confuse people who go to the site.

I would much rather not confuse the people who are going to my site. I want to use that index.php file like the ip.portal app gets used. To display a welcome message, latest site news, latest articles, latest reviews, latest gallery images. I do not however want all those latest and welcome displayed on the default article page as to me those are 2 separate pages for the site not the same page as that index.php file makes them.

Any way I do have skin edits that do have the site set the way I want, only issue is I can not figure out how to turn the custom link to the articles green when you are viewing the articles, like it did before when it was the automatic link.

#44 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

ah i see :) well that's easy then - you can configure anything yout want with the page manager :)

What do you think about the website name in the <title> field?

merry xmas btw

#45 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

ya I like that idea. I just would like the site name after what page title, so it is consistent with the rest of the site.

Merry Christmas too you as well.

#46 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,576 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

Ok, so going back to the root topic here, it sounds like when you visit the index page it should be "(Page title) - (Board name)" (where "Page title" is the title configured for the page itself), and as you start navigating the articles, it should change to "(Article name) - (Page title) - (Board name)". Does that sound good? "Article name" will be "Category name", etc. based on what page within the articles you are viewing.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#47 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:19 PM

No, Brandon, please NOT the board name but a website name. My Board is called "SF-Board" while my website is called "Scifinews". The Content of my website has nothing to do with its community. I promote my website, not my community, my brand-name is not the name of the community but the name of my website. I have several customers with the very same concept. One large philatelist community (yep.. stamps!^^) is called "MICHEL Community" while their website is called "briefmarken.de" (translates to stamps.de). This *needs* to be seperate :)

For the index-page i very much would prefere it the other way around too:

Index Page:
"(Website Name) - (Page Title)"

On the other pages:
"(Page Title) - (Website Name)"

Navigation through Articles / DB Records:
"(Article name) - (Page title) - (Website Name)"

Would it be possible to have an option if to display the page name with articles? My Index-page is currently called 'Startseite' (roughly translates to 'Homepage' - makes much more sense in german^^), therefore it would be a bit strange to have
"Kate Perry is a man! - Homepage - celebritygossip.com"
It would be better in that case to leave out the page title.
For other database records or articles on sub-sites it makes much more sense. Like when you're having a Recipes database and a page called "Recipes" or a page with articles called "Archive" - but not on your index page.

That's how it's done with every large website i know and this works very well with google :)

pleeeease! :)

#48 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

Ok, so going back to the root topic here, it sounds like when you visit the index page it should be "(Page title) - (Board name)" (where "Page title" is the title configured for the page itself), and as you start navigating the articles, it should change to "(Article name) - (Page title) - (Board name)". Does that sound good? "Article name" will be "Category name", etc. based on what page within the articles you are viewing.

Web site name not board name. Please!!

Also I think page title should always be first.

#49 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

Also I think page title should always be first.

What brings me back to my initial suggestion to have an openly configurable title field like the date format field ;) then everyone would be more than happy :)

#50 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

Indeed I do agree with that.

#51 alexp999

alexp999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

What brings me back to my initial suggestion to have an openly configurable title field like the date format field ;) then everyone would be more than happy :)

I think this would work best if it is possible IMO.

Then you can have variables like:

{article-name}
{page-title}
{category}
etc...

And also allow it to handle normal text so you could customise like:

{article-name} - {page-title} - Some random text

Where some random text could also be what you want the site to be called. And you could write it in any order, IP.Content simply parses the line and puts it in the <title> Field for each article, page, etc. Seeing as all the variables are already being called, I cant imagine it adds that much to add an extra field in the articles config in ACP, and then in the php script that runs to generate the page.

#52 Tony W

Tony W

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:01 PM

Does that fix the issue of having 2 pages with the same title?

It does not seem it would fix that issue unless my content issue were fixed first.

That i'm not sure of, all i wanted was to get rid of the 'Articles' in the title, I added a fixed title in my page template and since i use the same template for all my content pages my problem is solved.

#53 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

... since i use the same template for all my content pages my problem is solved.

Not in terms of SEO ;)

#54 alexp999

alexp999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

Is there any update on this? Maybe a manual edit we can do for now?

I don't know how far along the next IP.Content version is, but this is one of the things on my list I'd really like to get sorted before my site goes live next month.

Ta.

#55 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:14 AM

Is there any update on this? Maybe a manual edit we can do for now?

I don't know how far along the next IP.Content version is, but this is one of the things on my list I'd really like to get sorted before my site goes live next month.

Ta.

same thing here, i am basically waiting for a fix until my site can go live

#56 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,576 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

This isn't something we're going to make a modification or a patch for. It's not a bug, it's a suggested change for the next version. I will be visiting this area in the next version, however at this time there is no estimate of when that may be I'm afraid.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#57 alexp999

alexp999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

This isn't something we're going to make a modification or a patch for. It's not a bug, it's a suggested change for the next version. I will be visiting this area in the next version, however at this time there is no estimate of when that may be I'm afraid.

Thanks for the reply, I'd rather hear a not right now, than no response at all :)

I'll start having a look through the code tonight and maybe devise a "dirty fix" which I'll post up here, for people to use if they so wish (at their own risk obviously).

Hopefully it can be implemented into the next version in some shape or form.

Cheers.

#58 alexp999

alexp999

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

Right I have done a bit of digging and come up with a fix/hack. This will allow you to have: {Current IP.Content generated title}{Some custom text}. For my front page (with page name set to Home) I have: "Home - domain.com"

1, First we need a place to set what we want as our custom title, as this is a quick fix we will be using the IP.Board config file to define our text.

OPEN:
/initdata.php

FIND:
/* Min PHP version number */
define( 'MIN_PHP_VERS', '5.1.0' );

ADD AFTER:

/* Custom Title for CCS */
define( 'CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE', 'Some Custom Text' );

Note:
You can place the text you want in place of
Some Custom Text
I simply used
define( 'CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE', ' - domain.com' );
If you want to include apostrophes (e.g. Bob's Site), you must escape them with a
\
i.e.
define( 'CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE', 'Bob\'s Site' );

2, Now we need to tell IP.Content to use our custom text when it writes the html titles.

OPEN:
/admin/applications_addon/ips/ccs/sources/articles.php

FIND:
if( $category['category_name'] )
		{
			$this->registry->output->setTitle( $category['category_name'] );
		}

REPLACE WITH:
		{
			$this->registry->output->setTitle( $category['category_name'] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );
		}

FIND:
if( $this->categoryLimit )
		{
			$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->categories->categories[ $this->categoryLimit ]['category_name'] );
		}
		else
		{
			$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->database['database_name'] );
		}

REPLACE WITH:
if( $this->categoryLimit )
		{
			$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->categories->categories[ $this->categoryLimit ]['category_name'] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );
		}
		else
		{
			$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->database['database_name'] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );
		}

FIND:
		{
			$this->registry->output->setTitle( $category['category_name'] );
		}
		else
		{
			$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->database['database_name'] );
		}

REPLACE WITH:
		{
			$this->registry->output->setTitle( $category['category_name'] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );
		}
		else
		{
			$this->registry->output->setTitle( $this->database['database_name'] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );
		}

FIND:
$this->registry->output->setTitle( $record[ $this->database['database_field_title'] . '_value' ] );

REPLACE WITH:
$this->registry->output->setTitle( $record[ $this->database['database_field_title'] . '_value' ] . CCS_CUSTOM_TITLE );

I have done this on my own site and it all works fine, I do not warrant the correctness of the above instructions, you use them at your own risk, I advise taking a backup first and then putting the site into offline mode while you make the changes. If you do not feel confident editing these files, then DO NOT DO IT.

I hope this helps some people,

Cheers.
  • Marco Baranna likes this

#59 Ocean West

Ocean West

I've got an idea!

• +Clients
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

whats the status on this?
  • AlexJ likes this
Founder & Administrator FMForums.com
Worldwide FileMaker Community

#60 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:05 AM

i am desperately waiting for a fix as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic