no, IPS does not seem to care about this :(
  • altenerg likes this

#63 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

Actually, it's on an internal to-do list. Just because we haven't already changed something doesn't mean we "don't care about it".

The reality of the matter is that we are all very very very busy here.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#64 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for getting back to us. The thing is: this is - at least in my mind - one very essential thing in terms of SEO. I am having my site under construction for nearly 6 months now and do not want to launch the site the way this is being handled right now. I imagine others think the same - can you tell me a eta for this feature.

I realize that my previous post had a very poor choice of words, sorry for that. I did not want to imply that you are lazy or something ;)

#65 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

If it helps, the next product that we are planning a major update for is IP.Content. The 2.2.0 release was merely a compatibility release.
  • Marcher Technologies and odox like this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#66 Aisha

Aisha

Unrequited Love

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:40 AM

If it helps, the next product that we are planning a major update for is IP.Content. The 2.2.0 release was merely a compatibility release.

My content license expires in December. GOGOGO
:P
Last Updated --

I'm not a troll. I'm just misunderstood. I'm better than you though. Understand?

#67 Freeborne

Freeborne

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

Is this for real???????

I've just spent the whole weekend converting my site from a joomla and vbulletin hybrid to ip.content/ip.board and my ######ing home page is "News" What the heck?????

I assumed ip.content would have this functionality but obviously I was mistaken.... So now I'm forced to go live and "News" is root page title......

Sorry to vent but this just seems to be a serious oversight and is incredibly frustrating
  • altenerg likes this

#68 Andrej

Andrej

<?php define("Me"); ?>

• +Clients
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

Is this for real???????

I've just spent the whole weekend converting my site from a joomla and vbulletin hybrid to ip.content/ip.board and my ######ing home page is "News" What the heck?????

I assumed ip.content would have this functionality but obviously I was mistaken.... So now I'm forced to go live and "News" is root page title......

Sorry to vent but this just seems to be a serious oversight and is incredibly frustrating

The key before buying a paid script is to test it and confirm all your questions and issues before buying it.. I understand your frustration altrough and I dont mean to be rude.

#69 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

The key before buying a paid script is to test it and confirm all your questions and issues before buying it.. I understand your frustration altrough and I dont mean to be rude.

thing is, if you buy a car, you usually expect that it drives, has brakes, an airbag and that you can call your car whatever you like. not "news". I am stuck nearly 10 months now... :(
  • altenerg likes this

#70 asigno

asigno

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:01 AM

Grr. Really annoyed with myself for moving from Joomla to IP Content. I'm shocked that I am unable to change the page titles. Anyone know when this update is coming, there's some very simple and expected functionality missing from a paid for CMS product.
  • altenerg likes this

#71 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,747 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

bear with me.... this is actually the easiest fix... this is assuming you are willing to sprinkle some frontpage API magic to tell whats there atm to shove.... not at all an ideal fix, just a useable one for versions it wont be fixed on... useful only when placed on a homepage article "front-page" template, not good for cats.... it(CKE) totally stripping out <php> on edit ...>.<

<php>

$this->registry->output->setTitle('My homepage title, site name ala shove');

$this->registry->output->addMetaTag('Description', 'because the settings are bogus');

$this->registry->output->addMetaTag('Keywords', 'IPB, IPC');

</php>

Edited by Marcher Technologies, 03 October 2011 - 10:13 PM.

• altenerg likes this

#72 asigno

asigno

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:23 AM

Awesome thank you :-)

#73 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,747 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:08 AM

once the page title is honored... some could still have uses for such devious methods(maybe i dont want articles title OR page title as homepage yknow?... or maybe i wanna append it(title, description, tags) HOW I want(or client wants) with local $vars...).... its just a static API call...
EG... a "fix" has been in IPB documentation from day 1 of this topic....

#74 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,644 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:21 PM

Just wanted to update everyone. Here is what I have gone with by default for all databases (including articles):

Index page: Database name - Page name - Website name (or board name, if no website name)
Category page: Category name - Database name - Page name - Website name (or board name, if no website name)
Record page: Record name - Category name (if available) - Database name - Page name - Website name (or board name, if no website name)

This should most accurately reflect your depth into the database. That said, I have also done 2 more things to allow much greater control for power users who require it:

1) The page title is now set via a separate function so that you can easily write a hook to override just this one function and control completely how page titles are set

2) I have also implemented a "template" style approach as requested by DReffects2, with the caveat that I opted to avoid ACP settings for this. Instead, if you wish to specify the 'template' for a page title, you can define 3 constants in conf_global.php which will then be used. Here is the details for that

* <code>
     * define( 'CCS_PAGE_TITLE_HOME', '' );
     * define( 'CCS_PAGE_TITLE_CAT', '' );
     * define( 'CCS_PAGE_TITLE_RECORD', '' );
     * // Following variables will be replaced:
     * // {page_name} = Page name
     * // {database_name} = Databae name
     * // {category_name} = Category name (only available for CCS_PAGE_TITLE_CAT and CCS_PAGE_TITLE_RECORD)
     * // {record_name} = Record name (only available for CCS_PAGE_TITLE_RECORD)
     * // {website_name} = Website name as configured in ACP
     * // {board_name} = Board name as configured in ACP
     * </code>

I know many prefer to have ACP settings, but the reality is having the ability to configure the page title in multiple places can be confusing for new users, especially once you start talking about per-database configurations for multiple different views, so I wanted to keep the experience for new users clean and simple (and automated, with a suitable default), but still give power users who want ultimate control some sort of options for this.

We will be blogging about this later (and I will discuss this with the documentation team closer to release to ensure this is documented), but I wanted to reply here to see if this multi-tiered approach will give everyone what they need.
  • Coach Young, bonesoul, gxgEric and 2 others like this

Brandon Farber

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#75 DReffects2

DReffects2

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

2) I have also implemented a "template" style approach as requested by DReffects2, with the caveat that I opted to avoid ACP settings for this. Instead, if you wish to specify the 'template' for a page title, you can define 3 constants in conf_global.php which will then be used. Here is the details for that

I love you!! :)

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Marcher Technologies likes this

#76 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,747 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:00 AM

Just wanted to update everyone. Here is what I have gone with by default for all databases (including articles):

Index page: Database name - Page name - Website name (or board name, if no website name)
Category page: Category name - Database name - Page name - Website name (or board name, if no website name)
Record page: Record name - Category name (if available) - Database name - Page name - Website name (or board name, if no website name)

This should most accurately reflect your depth into the database. That said, I have also done 2 more things to allow much greater control for power users who require it:

1) The page title is now set via a separate function so that you can easily write a hook to override just this one function and control completely how page titles are set

:drool:

#77 altenerg

altenerg

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

bear with me.... this is actually the easiest fix... this is assuming you are willing to sprinkle some frontpage API magic to tell whats there atm to shove.... not at all an ideal fix, just a useable one for versions it wont be fixed on... useful only when placed on a homepage article "front-page" template, not good for cats.... it(CKE) totally stripping out <php> on edit ...>.<

<php>
$this->registry->output->setTitle('My homepage title, site name ala shove');
$this->registry->output->addMetaTag('Description', 'because the settings are bogus');
$this->registry->output->addMetaTag('Keywords', 'IPB, IPC');
</php>

They need to hire you or discontinue IP.Content

#78 asigno

asigno

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 156 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:05 PM

Awesome I finally have a perfect home page title :laugh:

#79 Freeborne

Freeborne

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 417 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

I believe if you upgrade to the latest IP.Content it fixes this issue so this thread and suggested code edits are now obsolete.
  • Marcher Technologies likes this

#80 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,747 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Brandon... the separate method for the title? I've been through pageBuilder, ccsFunctions, databaseBuilder, the public pages controller...
:sweat: :flowers: A clue?
Obviously i could use output... but that is null and moot un-wrappered... and not Content specific. :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users