• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ᴡᴅツ

ᴡᴅツ

⊙﹏⊙

• +Clients
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:34 PM

IP.Content is a great membership tool coupled with IP.Nexus. A feature that will make Content better is to mimic the "max download" setting found in IP.Downloads. Currently, IP.Downloads allows admins to limit the maximum number of downloads by group per time frame.

IP.Content should have a feature where certain groups are given a weekly / monthly limit to the number of unique articles they can view. This is a great feature for membership based sites. Below is a quick example.

• Person registers free account
  • Then the member views all the free articles in IP.Content
  • He sees a private category and wants to buy access via Nexus
  • After purchase, he is allowed to view X unique articles in the private category every day, week or month.
  • I was thinking of limiting # of views, but I think leaving it only for unique articles is enough.
  • Optional (at your discretion): Once a unique article is viewed, it is associated to the member's account so if he is to decide to view the article a month from now, he isn't penalized points. The option would be to have more restrictions.
  • Example restrictions:
  • Max number of article views per week (or month)
  • Max number of unique article views per week (or month)
[/list][/list]Here is another example for clarification.

I purchase subscription for a private category. The max unique articles per month is 5. The max article views per month is 50. So in that given month, I can view up to 5 unique articles, as many times as I want granted the total number of views does not exceed 100. The next month, the 5 unique articles would then be associated to my account allowing me to view 5 other unique articles on top of the previous month's 5 articles. Granted, I can only view 50 times a month.

Why should this be implemented
?

Because IPS hasn't built a full system yet for online marketers to use and monetize their sites with. IP.Downloads is great because it allows restrictions, sort of like a "drip system." IP.Nexus is great because it allows diversity. IP.Content would benefit online marketers that want to create a restrictive membership site so their members do not simply download all of the articles and files in 1 day and leave. A membership site prospers when the members stay and are actively using the services provided.

At the end of the day, helping your customers make money will increase the probability of them renewing support and purchasing future IPS products.

Staff, If you read all this, please state your remarks, e.g., good idea, will think about it, we can't do this, etc. :)
  • Tanax and Ikadon like this

Feature consistency across IP.Downloads and IP.Board for IP.Content

IPS, please look at the topics I've created regarding feature suggestions. There still are issues that haven't been addressed, as noted above, and the following, as well as this.

#2 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,607 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

I don't have any remarks. ;)

I will say, however, that the sites I frequent the most are the ones that post new content the most, not the ones that restrict me and make me come back later for something I want now. When I get the "You must login to view this article" on the New York Times website (they do what you are describing), for instance, I just go back to Google and read the story elsewhere, or view Google's cache of the site if I'm determined.

That said, if there's enough support for the feature I'll consider it further.
  • spicy brains, Ikadon and JahLion like this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#3 Tanax

Tanax

Advanced Member

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

I definitely support it. Sounds like a really nice feature.

#4 ᴡᴅツ

ᴡᴅツ

⊙﹏⊙

• +Clients
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

I don't have any remarks. ;)

I will say, however, that the sites I frequent the most are the ones that post new content the most, not the ones that restrict me and make me come back later for something I want now. When I get the "You must login to view this article" on the New York Times website (they do what you are describing), for instance, I just go back to Google and read the story elsewhere, or view Google's cache of the site if I'm determined.

That said, if there's enough support for the feature I'll consider it further.

I understand but it depends on the niche and value of the content. Imagine you own a science based website with 100 premium articles that each takes hours of research to compile. You charge $20 monthly for members to have access to X amount of unique articles a month. If you do don't put a cap on it, then there will be many people that buy your subscription, archive all of the 100 articles you spent a long time compiling, and sometimes even have the audacity to request a refund 30 minutes later via Paypal.

The content has value regardless. This is just a better business model than simply making 100 packages in Nexus selling each article individually. This feature will truly make IP.Content a better commercial membership based site.

IPS, please look at the topics I've created regarding feature suggestions. There still are issues that haven't been addressed, as noted above, and the following, as well as this.

#5 mat206

mat206

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 10:07 PM

Just pay a hook developer to do this for you.. it would probably take about an hours worth of coding. Instead of subscriptions that are time based, you are thinking of something more of a package that gives you credits. If you develop the nexus hook to add credits to a custom profile field when a package is purchased you can use an article hook to deduct a credit when an article is viewed (though I'd have the hook create a special table that maps the article ID's the user has "purchased" so that you don't deduct credits for viewing the same article).

#6 ᴡᴅツ

ᴡᴅツ

⊙﹏⊙

• +Clients
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

Although possible, it seems a messy method for most people. Site owners feel more confident if a crucial aspect of their site was developed within the standard application than have third party hooks running scripts. I trust a team (IPS) than a single third party developer.

#7 Eduardo Bautista

Eduardo Bautista

Needs Serious Help

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

Well it wouldn't really be a third party hook. Plus, with new updates, it won't become out of date because it would be raw php code.

#8 hurricaine

hurricaine

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:29 AM

bfarber, one thing I noticed lacking in IP.Content 2.1.1 is the lack of the ability to reset "page views" on a particular article. I think this is one feature that really needs to be added to IP.Content, if it hasn;t been addressed already.

The Anti-Spam Guide to IPS. This is an updated guide designed to help fight against spammers. While there is no fool-proof method, all you can do is put up roadblocks to slow them down.

Group Badges, Display Name Customization. This is a guide that helps customize forum display names on your message forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users