Purchasing Ip Board

33 posts in this topic

Posted

I literally just made a forums yesterday I was unaware that ip board cost money my friend sent me the files and said it was free and i trusted him and now i see it isn't. So on my forums I'm using a nulled version. My site is looking nice and I don't want to have to start it all over even though I just made it yesterday it grew kinda fast. So would I be able to purchase the real version and upgrade my forums to the real one without starting over and getting shutdown? Thanks.

Posted

Yes, you can purchase the real version and it can become "legal"

One warning though: I have seen many nulled versions of IPB that include secret back doors (allows hackers access to your site) or other malicious tools to steal passwords. I would strongly suggest that you upload a clean set of files to your site.

Posted

What do you mean clean set. I really DO NOT want to start over my site has taken off pretty good and I want to become legal I can not get shutdown.

Posted

[quote name='mD Kevin' timestamp='1292035275' post='2054424']
What do you mean clean set. I really DO NOT want to start over my site has taken off pretty good and I want to become legal I can not get shutdown.

I mean upload fresh files. Your database (members/posts/etc) can stay intact, but you should upload "safe" files provided by us.

Posted

Well what exactly are these safe files?

Posted

[quote name='mD Kevin' timestamp='1292035522' post='2054426']

The ones that we make and guarantee are not tampered with. As I said before, I've seen all too often people putting "evil" things into those scripts.

Posted

[quote name='mD Kevin' timestamp='1292035522' post='2054426']

Files obtained from the IPS client area are guaranteed to be safe. The files you have been given may have unofficial modifications, bugs, and/or security holes implemented by a third-party.

Posted

OK that sounds good and do you give support on installing the safe files and how what do i need to do exactly to where i dont have to start anything over like the topics,posts,members,skin,etc. I just want to install the new version and that is it nothing changed on the site at all just have the real version.

Posted

Once you buy a license, you are given access to the IP.Board files,

Simply upload these via FTP, and overwrite any excising files, dont delete everything then upload it, just overwrite.

Once you are licensed, i can help you if you like, as you will need to tell IP.Board you already have a database etc.

Posted

[quote name='Josh Bowden' timestamp='1292036068' post='2054431']

Simply upload these via FTP, and overwrite any excising files, dont delete everything then upload it, just overwrite.

Once you are licensed, i can help you if you like, as you will need to tell IP.Board you already have a database etc.

Do you have aim or msn so i can talk to you on that? If you have both aim would be better for me. But just post it here if you can.

Posted

[quote name='Josh Bowden' timestamp='1292036068' post='2054431']

Simply overwriting isn't the best method of ensuring that backdoors are removed. A non-IP.Board file that's a backdoor could be hiding in one of the directories.

Collin S. and paulnwb like this

Posted

Would IPS not consider doing this for him if he's unsure?

Posted

My aim is: TruGamingNet

Im online now.

[quote name='Haku2' timestamp='1292036348' post='2054434']
Simply overwriting isn't the best method of ensuring that backdoors are removed. A non-IP.Board file that's a backdoor could be hiding in one of the directories.

After overwriting, you simple use the tools within IP.Board to find files that are not supposed to be there.

Edit: Its called the "IP.Board Unauthorized File Checker"

Posted

Before doing anything Kevin, make a FULL backup of your website just in case anything goes wrong or needs restoring. Delete everything except the MySQL database and upload the clean set of IP.Board files. Then re-install IP.Board using a new database. Once that is done, you can edit the config file so that it uses your old MySQL database. You can then delete the new database you created as it is no longer needed. Furthermore, you might have to re-install any skins you previously installed and restore the "uploads" folder from your backup after ensuring no malicious files are contained inside.

Posted

[quote name='Haku2' timestamp='1292036713' post='2054439']
Before doing anything Kevin, make a FULL backup of your website just in case anything goes wrong or needs restoring. Delete everything except the MySQL database and upload the clean set of IP.Board files. Then re-install IP.Board using a new database. Once that is done, you can edit the config file so that it uses your old MySQL database. You can then delete the new database you created as it is no longer needed. Furthermore, you might have to re-install any skins you previously installed and restore the "uploads" folder from your backup after ensuring no malicious files are contained inside.

I am very unsure about this I don't want to mess anything up could IPS possibly do this for me or something? I don't want to mess anything up.

Posted

[quote name='Josh Bowden' timestamp='1292036648' post='2054436']
My aim is: TruGamingNet

Im online now.

After overwriting, you simple use the tools within IP.Board to find files that are not supposed to be there.

Edit: Its called the "IP.Board Unauthorized File Checker"

Oh, okay. I didn't think of that.

Posted (edited)

[quote name='mD Kevin' timestamp='1292036784' post='2054440']
I am very unsure about this I don't want to mess anything up could IPS possibly do this for me or something? I don't want to mess anything up.

If an IPS staff member doesn't answer that question in this topic, you should ask it in a support ticket and link to this topic once you have purchased IP.Board.

Edit: You could also ask this same question in an email to sales@invisionpower.com as a response is guaranteed.

Edited by Haku2

Posted

HE does not want to lose Avatars, Skins, etc

Posted

[quote name='Josh Bowden' timestamp='1292037107' post='2054443']
HE does not want to lose Avatars, Skins, etc

That's why I said he will probably have to re-install his skins and restore the backup of the uploads folder after ensuring it doesn't contain any malicious files.

Posted

[quote name='mD Kevin' timestamp='1292036784' post='2054440']

As Collin S. mentioned above there is no risk of messing things up and/or loosing any info by replacing your nulled files with the files from the ipb package that you will download from your member 's area once you purchase Ipb. Because all the settings are stored at the database. Note, that if you are using a version lower than 3.1.4. it would be best to upgrade your forum. But if you are feeling uncomfortable with all this, then submit a ticket at your member 's area and one of the Ipb staff will take care of this for you. They are very friendly and efficient.

Posted

[quote name='Haku2' timestamp='1292037222' post='2054444']
That's why I said he will probably have to re-install his skins and restore the backup of the uploads folder after ensuring it doesn't contain any malicious files.

Im helping him now, im going to backup the whole directory just in case.
Then try to overwrite the files, and use the file checker.

If that fails, then we try the other way.

Posted

[quote name='Josh Bowden' timestamp='1292037566' post='2054446']
Im helping him now, im going to backup the whole directory just in case.
Then try to overwrite the files, and use the file checker.

If that fails, then we try the other way.

Okay.

Posted

Watching MD Kevin buying a licnece over Teamviewer :P

Posted

Ok well I bought my liscense now im waiting for my account to be approved.

Posted

[quote name='mD Kevin' timestamp='1292038979' post='2054451']
Ok well I bought my liscense now im waiting for my account to be approved.

Welcome to IPS! :thumbsup: