51 replies to this topic

#21 Panupat

Panupat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

IP.Content is very flexible yes. But it requires a lot of skill and understanding on your part to get it to work. I spent a good month learning to use IP.Content and came up with amazing results. However... my team wasn't able to grasp the concept and the productivity of my website dropped to a halt :( It's almost like forcing them to learn Joomla.

Probably something to keep in mind - if you want to work with IP.Content you want to set it up to do as much automatic work as possible. Human input is not fun in that thing.

#22 dieselpowered

dieselpowered

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

Yeah Panupat, I tried playing with it and was like, what in the word am I doing...I still have no idea, I have it, but it is not installed for fear I will break something, lol.

#23 Luis Manson

Luis Manson

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:26 AM

so, ip content its VERY powerfull but its like coding java?

#24 Echelon One

Echelon One

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

With Google's reCaptcha being cracked many vBulletin boards were bombarded with by spambots, what a nice start to the year! With IPB's Anti-Spam Service not a single spambot got through on my IPB powered site. As fast as spambots were hitting me they were being banned, saved me from doing it. :)

Whereas, my vBulletin 4 forum - guess what not a single spambot got through on there either, only because I disabled new registrations. I had a few clients that were not so lucky, one had over 100+ spambots join her site and with reCaptcha enabled, and the other client had the question and answer method enabled, he had about 25 roughly join and post spam, yet this is the method vBulletin recommended their clients to use under the circumstances! The only other options with vBulletin are to install modifications to combat the current spambot situation.

So, again IPB has another feature that works and vBulletin fails!

vBulletin with Photopost Pro is really a hit and miss affair. Photopost Pro uses such old coding, it is not strict xHTML whereas vBulletin 4 is - so you end up with a diabolical mixture of code. Most scripts these days either use one file or a full installer to setup the actual script, Photopost Pro is still in the dark ages with 2 configuration files that many people get confused with. With IP.Gallery 4 on the horizon it just blows away Photopost Pro or any other gallery script.

Not so long ago, there was the problem with the other main 3rd part add-on vBSEO - many sites had their URL configurations changed because of a security issue - and then customers were complaining of page rank drops and revenue loss. IPB now has it's own IP.SEO, not as many features, but then it is in it's early stages.

I had one client that asked me for an unbiased opinion between vBulletin 4 and IPB 3 forums - he had only purchased vBulletin 4 two months before and was already fed up with them and had been looking at IPB as an alternative. So, I gave him a detailed report on both which included HTTP Requests, primed and empty caches, js calls, css used, sql queries and much more - it showed that under a majority of tests run IPB was much better coded and solid.

Even now, if you buy their vBulletin Publishing Suite the vBcms pulls 100+ queries per page, many un-cached templates, the list goes on yet people buy it thinking it's better than IPB 3, it's not until you start using it you soon see that it is a waste of money, and if you look at some of the 3rd party addons as well, then you are going to be paying a lot more for your forum than you first thought.

Why put yourself through all this, when IPS can do a much better job in virtually all areas!
Posted Image

#25 Luis Manson

Luis Manson

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

wow thats a reply! im convicend from the start, but my users are reluctant to change.
To be honest im thinking on the side effects this could have...

any words on URL mapping? i have URLs like /forumName/1234-topic-title.html

#26 dieselpowered

dieselpowered

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

The URLs are quite close to the vbSEO URLs, except that ipb puts a forum number id in the url.

#27 Luis Manson

Luis Manson

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:37 AM

yeah, i didnt choose that setup on vbseo, i learned later why was not a good idea...

and where can i see al my replied posts? like usercp on vb

#28 Hunting insects...

Hunting insects...

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 577 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

...but my users are reluctant to change.

It's human nature not to like change and a limted number of users will always complain... and soon get used to it. ;)

Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space
Because there's bugger-all down here on Earth.

ip-forum & ip Web Shop

eBay shop

#29 Echelon One

Echelon One

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

yeah, i didnt choose that setup on vbseo, i learned later why was not a good idea...

and where can i see al my replied posts? like usercp on vb

Go to your profile and click on "Find my Content" - You will then get a tabbed page which ever area you have participated in. :)

There I cut my replies down....lol
Posted Image

#30 media

media

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

luis,

It took me 6 months to get into IPB, I didn't really like it and kept revisiting and having a play but didn't really put my heart into it.
Then I took the plunge and moved 2 boards. Its the single best thing I've ever done for my communities.

The benefits far outweigh the losses and users get used to the change very quickly. Even more so if you use a similar skin design.
To have seo, gallery, nexus marketplace, downloads etc ALL covered by support from one company is great - non of this its xyz's problem not ours when you get a bug.

I went back to vB version 4 recently for a test board with 4.0.x and used it for a while, thinking it would be a cheap option to get a community started. It was so bad that after 3 months I shelved it and decided to save for a 3rd IPB license.

I've got used to IPB now and I love it, its great software, you just need to approach it with an open mind

Nice... Thumbs up :)
  • by_x_man likes this

:smile:

#31 THL

THL

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

IP content is quite difficult to use if your not a coding or php guru...

#32 Luis Manson

Luis Manson

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

there are no examples or something pre made?

#33 dieselpowered

dieselpowered

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:17 PM

Not sure what you mean? Not a good idea to put the forum ID or a good idea to put it?

there are no examples or something pre made?

Not that I have found...would be really nice though!

#34 Luis Manson

Luis Manson

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Not sure what you mean? Not a good idea to put the forum ID or a good idea to put it?

its a god idea, i didnt and know its a mess to rename any forum....

Not that I have found...would be really nice though!

sugestion to IB!!!

#35 optrexnz

optrexnz

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:22 PM

IP.Content is a new product. The list of examples is growing, but when it first came out the documentation was to be honest, woeful. Like anything new, people have to learn how to do it. I found it relatively easy but I used the demo templates that came with it and pulled that apart to learn what bits I needed to tweak. It was like doing template edits.

I think the people with problems are trying to build from a blank canvas and I think thats why people find it hard. As the number of people who use content grows then the assistance will grow with it too. Personally, I think IPB should pull a developer off actual development of the project and assign them to creating a base set of template examples with comprehensive documentation or more directly help the community to establish what they need. At that point the community can then take it forward themselves.

#36 Luis Manson

Luis Manson

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:24 PM

thanks optrexnz, i was a bit scared of having to build anything from scratch!

#37 Midnight Modding

Midnight Modding

Needs Hobby

• +Clients
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

When I am simply browsing OTHER people's forums the way I feel about it is that VB still seems a little more simple. And I've had members in the past complain that IPB is hard for them to figure everything out for after being used to other types of sites. I would say 3.1 improved on that though. I don't necessarily feel either is better than the other, but somehow the posting itself feels a little smoother on vb still. I would never switch to it even if I could though because I like IPB overall better.
If you want any custom apps or have ideas for some that may do well publicly, let me know.
Points App
Reviewing App
Betting App
Tournaments App

#38 Luis Manson

Luis Manson

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

thanks mmmodding

BTW, in vb i press quote and the quote goes to the quick reply box, however here and other IPB sites i can not finda that, just multiquote, and reply sends me to the full editor...

any chances to quote one post and reply to it on the quick reply?

#39 Midnight Modding

Midnight Modding

Needs Hobby

• +Clients
  • 3,478 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:14 AM

I guess not. What's weird is I hadn't even paid attention enough to realize you can't quote into fast reply. For all the years I've eben using this software now I just do everythign without thinking so I forgot vb has that and ipb doesn't. Doesn't matter much to me really though.

edit: By the way, for a LONG time I didn't ever realize that for multiquote you had to click Add Reply after selecting all the posts to quote. lol I always thought that it was done on the same page as the posts.
If you want any custom apps or have ideas for some that may do well publicly, let me know.
Points App
Reviewing App
Betting App
Tournaments App

#40 Luis Manson

Luis Manson

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:13 AM

see? i hope this could be implemented!