Need more Ad placement control:

33 posts in this topic

Posted

At the moment you can pick "global", or board index, topic index etc. But this isn't much control. Like our site, the global header I'd like to have on everything but the main page which for us is IP.Content. It's hard to design a page around that ad that would push everything down. So were forced to only allow these on the index and topics. It would just help if maybe the choices were like blog, members, forum, etc where we could disallow say for ipcontent giving you the ability to design a front page using a global skin that didn't include the header advertising. I hope what I mean is understood here.

Best

Posted

If you purchase IP.Nexus (I know.. it's another application to purchase), you will have much greater control over ad placement.

EDIT: I posted a few links below. I couldn't find anything on ad placement, which is strange because I thought I had read about that. So I guess I'm not exactly sure if you would have greater control over placement, maybe someone else can fill you in on this, sorry.
http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-5105-ipnexus-dev-update-advertisements/
http://community.invisionpower.com/blog/1174/entry-5693-ipnexus-11-dev-update-advertisement-enhancements/

Posted

I have IPNexus and the ad placement is unsatisfactory. There is no way currently to show ads on every place except the index you use for iPContent. This is all controlled by nexus, hence my posting in this area.

Thanks for the attempt to help, but I think you've misunderstood.

Best

Posted

Have you consider using the template hooks?

You should then be able to use an if statement so the ads don't show on the IP.Content index.

{parse advertisement=X}

Posted

The only and serious way is this:

Add custom zone
post-136690-0-37950500-1295016656_thumb.
post-136690-0-13820300-1295016681_thumb.
post-136690-0-82590600-1295016682_thumb.
post-136690-0-67043400-1295016684_thumb.

I hope developers work on this asap, all customers with board heavily customized with banner zones (openX) could consider this product.

How to use {parse advertisement=X} with rotating banners? there is no way...

boboss78, vitoreis, estan and 2 others like this

Posted

All you need to do is not select any location, then you can put:

Where "X" is the ID of the ad.

Anywhere you want in your templates, wrap them in an <if test....(etc)> statement if you dont want them shown all the time.

{parse advertisement=X}
vitoreis likes this

Posted

...and If I want setup a zone with 10 banners in random rotation mode?

Posted

Hmm, I'll have a think, am at work at the moment so will see if I can come up with a solution when I get home later this evening.

EDIT:

Quick thought, you can always move the ad code hooks in your templates, I did this for the after first post ad placement, and moved it into a floating div inside the first post. On the same vein you could also wrap the ad code hook in an extra if statement to stop it showing on say the IP.Content home page.

Or you could use one of the ad locations, remove it from the template. Then use {parse advertisement="ad_code_location_X"} to display the ad in the template wherever you like.

I'm also going to see what other variables the {parse advertisement="X"} hook is capable of taking.

Posted

I've already tested all of these approaches...

1) "you can always move the ad code hooks in your templates", It can work but it's a dirty way and not functional with many ad zones.
2) "use {parse advertisement="ad_code_location_X"} ", same thing... dirty and not properly functional.

vitoreis likes this

Posted

For No. 1, Why is it a dirty way? You're not changing any code, only moving it?

Posted

Mainly for two reasons:

1) You need to edit hook and use "topic view: after first topic" to make another job into a floating div.
2) There is no way to switch to nexus for boards with many advertising zones. In my board I've more of 15 Ad zones (without count IP.Content)
Nexus have only 11 predefined Locations.

Posted

I didnt edit any hooks, I only had to move the code that Nexus puts into the template to where I wanted it.

Then in other places I just created an ad in Nexus without selecting a location and used {parse ad.....}.

The problem with making ads able to go virtually anywhere is the amount of code needed, this slows down the devs, and more importantly, slows down our servers as they make the code even more complex.

I think they key thing is that they give people some basic locations, and then the biggest thing which they introduced in 1.1, was to allow us to move them about as we saw fit. You can even now load Nexus ads externally on another site.

Posted

My suggestion are more simple than you think.

The problem with making ads able to go virtually anywhere is the amount of code needed,

Posted

I would really like to see this feature added. It makes perfect sense that we should be allowed to create custom ad placements easily within the Admin CP

Posted

[quote name='.Ian' timestamp='1296810660' post='2076465']
According to the recent blog it has been added (I think!) but there is no indication on how to use it.

Got a link to that blog post?
I'd be very happy, as i'm capped & crippled with current nexus slots/locations.
I'm losing ad $$ by not being able to add new slots.

boboss78 likes this

Posted

I'm investigating this as well, so far not sure how to manually add the Ad Locations... Checked the tables in the DB with no avail... Anyone figure this out?

Posted

we need ad locations

please IPB, make it real

Posted

I'll add my vote for this. I've used software like IP.Nexus before and in most cases, you had far more options for add placement. In particular, I need to be able to place adds that are controlled and sold via nexus into external pages. This is because the forums is only one part of my site and I need to also place / sell ad space on the rest of the site. In the other software I've used, this is usually enabled by being able to generate javascript to place the custom add wherever on the site.

Posted

I'm happy that other customers vote for my suggestion... why no one feedback from IPS?

Posted

[quote name='InvisionHQ' timestamp='1303635551' post='2105066']
I'm happy that other customers vote for my suggestion... why no one feedback from IPS?

Heh.....I made this post in Jan. I also find sites wishing to have ssl have a problem. Most of us run at least some google ads to cover the bills. Well you can't have a footer google ad running on the log in page for it to be secured......Nore can you run it in the Nexus for the checkout.

These 2 items alone render the footer position useless for the whole skin simply because you can run them on these few pages. We need the ability to place urls where ads "WILL NOT SHOW" since I would have to believe most of us could easier manage the few pages we don't want ads on (For ssl say) and the foot can run everywhere else not listed. The same would hold true for the header advert on the front page of IP Content. If we could input our url that disallows a certain page all would be fine.

Please hear us IPB

Posted

I would be very interested in the possibility to add advertising blocks from IP.Content into Nexus so the ads would atomaticly added. Just as we can do with the forum.

Posted

I too am waiting (semi-patiently) for better ad support. We too have IP as only part of the site and have the need to place ads on the homepage. In fact, we're losing advertisers at the moment due to this.

Posted

[quote name='InvisionHQ' timestamp='1295016895' post='2067815']
Add custom zone
post-136690-0-37950500-1295016656_thumb.

I am using Nexus 1.4
There is no Add custom zone option there.
Technically, it is not difficult for me to hack any template, however it makes me sad when I have to do additional coding for the commercial solution I paid money for. And, BTW, the request of TS is not so difficult to implement, in fact.

Posted

I know this thread is a few months old, but I wanted to add my vote to the request for this feature. It's very important that we're able to add and/or customize the ad locations.

Posted

Bump for this as well.