106 replies to this topic

#61 Gerry 5039

Gerry 5039

Proud to have served my Queen & Country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

Charles I can use basic HTML thats not a problem, but I have absolutely no knowledge of CSS at all, that's my downfall :)

"Duty is everything. The greatest of joys, the deepest of sorrows."

Posted Image

Support your Troops

22 years proud service for Queen and Country

#62 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

I know what you mean: I started in the days of <font> tags :lol:

I learn a bit more CSS all the time. It's fun learning and really everything is CSS-driven on today's web so I figure I better learn more.

(nothing to do with IPB btw - I think I'm just chatting with you now ;) )

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com
IPS Twitter news feed: @invisionps

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

IPS 4 preview site ... Feel free to register your account now. We are approving several new accounts each day so, once you register, keep an eye out for activation email.

#63 Andy Rixon

Andy Rixon

Trying is the first step of failure!

• +Clients
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

At this time, I would like to point out that I have taken over development of IP.Portal and IP.Subscriptions as my own, myself and the IPS Management have worked out things and I will be keeping both up-to-date and compatible with all future versions of IP.Board, if you would like to know more information regarding this please register at RIXWIL Software and post your questions in the Feedback & Sugestions forum and I will be happy to answer your questions.
  • Michael, Jinkler, Claudia999 and 2 others like this

AndyRixon
My Files: IPS Marketplace
Useful Links: IPS Home | IPS Client Area | IP.Board Guides | IPS Marketplace

Please DO NOT contact me via Private Message for support, I will ask you to PM me if I require more sensitive information.

#64 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

Thanks Andy. I'm a big fan of the default portal with a few tweaks so I'm glad to see it's being kept alive.

Nigel / 3DKiwi
C4D Cafe My IPB powered web site.

#65 Andy Rixon

Andy Rixon

• +Clients
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:11 AM

I am glad to be taking over these products to keep alive.
  • c0bra likes this

AndyRixon

Please DO NOT contact me via Private Message for support, I will ask you to PM me if I require more sensitive information.

#66 rastaX

rastaX

Born Analog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

Thanks from me as well. I think IP.Content may one day fit the bill for me, but not quite just yet.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#67 Andy Rixon

Andy Rixon

• +Clients
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

Your both most welcome

AndyRixon

#68 crabpaws

crabpaws

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:17 PM

You do not need any PHP knowledge to use our software. I have no PHP knowledge and use it every day.

Yes, you need basic knowledge of HTML and CSS if you want to customize things but you need that knowledge to run any sort of web site. I only have basic knowledge of such things myself but I am able to do quite a lot in the software :)

Thanks for that information, Charles. It makes me a little more inclined toward IP.Content, but I probably still would not buy it because all I really need is a simple portal page. I guess I'm representative of the users who need only a minimal site. Others might want a more complex site; IP.Content may return on investment for them.
Information architect and usability designer since 1999.

"I say it's spinach, and I say the h*ll with it." - E. B. White, New Yorker cartoon, 12/8/28

#69 Wolfie

Wolfie

Don't get mad, get N*Raged!

• +Clients
  • 12,499 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:28 AM

I still have a bit of a learning curve going on with IPC but can say this, it's really a matter of knowing what you want to do and how to do it. If you want to make an HTML page and know HTML, then you can do it. If you need to perform a function in PHP and know PHP, then you can do it. I think the true big curve is in knowing what functions and variables are available when making the page(s).

In all seriousness, making an HTML page that just says, "Hello" is really easy and proceeding from there is easy as well.

With PHP, something like, "echo 'Hello';" is easy.

I think part of the issue is the feeling that some of the usualy functions/features of HTML or PHP are somehow removed or that we have to learn a new HTML/PHP language, when in reality, it's just a matter of using what we already know.

So if someone has fears of moving to IPC in place of using the portal, relax. If you feel that it's more than you need or that it won't serve your purposes, then just use what you think works best for you. After portal is updated for v3.2, then even if AndyR drops it, it'll likely work until IPB3.3 (or IPB4 or whatever happens to come after the 3.2.x series). No need to worry. :)

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ Click here to browse or purchase IPS software. ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
n-raged.com
- Dacity.Com

♪ Me and you ♪
♪ a two-man crew ♪
♪ side by side we're unified ♪
♪ and we will never be divided ♪

Spoiler

CLICK HERE AND VOTE IP.BOARD AS BEST FORUM SOFTWARE FOR 2013!!!

#70 Jamer

Jamer

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

At this time, I would like to point out that I have taken over development of IP.Portal and IP.Subscriptions as my own, myself and the IPS Management have worked out things and I will be keeping both up-to-date and compatible with all future versions of IP.Board, if you would like to know more information regarding this please register at RIXWIL Software and post your questions in the Feedback & Sugestions forum and I will be happy to answer your questions.

Nice one, good to see you will be keeping it alive. Cheers

#71 shamil

shamil

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

Personally, I've been trying to move away and deprecate my use of IP.Portal, it practically duplicates IP.Content.

As a software developer, and a senior business manager, I completely agree with the method IPS has chosen to proceed with the development of the newer platform, but can understand the frustration at the lack of ease and documentation to contribute to the customisation of IP.Content pages. Practically, supporting two applications, which offer the same, yet distinct, solutions, is not going to be financially viable, and will lead to further constraints down the line.

All that I can suggest is that we continue to support IPS, and learn basic HTML/CSS. For a website that changes dynamically, such as a forum, I feel that it is imperative that its owners have at least some understand in the technologies employed; you never know when you'll need them.
  • Ryan Ashbrook likes this
Shamil Nunhuck
This post may not necessarily be the view taken by Radon Systems, unless explicitly stated that it is so.

Posted Image

#72 MichelleBCF

MichelleBCF

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

An oldish thread I know, but I just wanted to give my support to all things simple. I run a fairly small book forum, and I simply don't have the time to learn how to use IP.Content. I did buy it when I first bought the forum software, but got stuck right at the beginning. IP.Portal is perfect for me, and I'm not sure what I'll do without it. I've also just bought IP.Nexus, even though IP.Subscriptions was doing just what I wanted.

Not all of us are running complex sites, some are just small simple forums.
www.bookclubforum.co.uk - Converted from vB to IP! :)

#73 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

You're not "without it", it's still being maintained, just not by IPS.

http://community.inv...le/4204-portal/

Contact Me: Email · Facebook · Twitter · Google+

#74 rgf100

rgf100

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:12 AM

Got to admit I'm dubious about not having a simple, supported portal. Hopefully plans to have that done via IP.Content will come good.

#75 Steve H

Steve H

/dev/null

• +Clients
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:30 AM

Got to admit I'm dubious about not having a simple, supported portal. Hopefully plans to have that done via IP.Content will come good.

It's continuing to be maintained by one of the best and most active modders out there. I don't think you're going to run into any issues. I've got several paid for mods from DevFuse and updates are always released in a timely fashion alongside smaller fixes for any bugs. I really believe you're worrying for nothing.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#76 rgf100

rgf100

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:01 AM

Fair enough, and I may well continue to use it (and don't want to sound ungrateful for his work). But I think like many I see a decent portal as integral and essential to my site, and I'd like to think it was seen as integral and essential by the developers. Looking forward to seeing what IPB come up with in the Marketplace.

#77 Rhett

Rhett

R1Lover

• IPS Staff
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Is there going to be a paid version to remove your name all over it? I have removed it for now and will use IPcontent, I don't need nor want copyright info plastered on the portal page.

:)

"If you're spinning your wheels or sliding backwards... you better look for some traction, before you fall off the road!"

Rhett
Hosting & Support Manager
Invision Power Services Inc

#78 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

I don't know if the same applies to the Portal, but when I took over Subscriptions from IPS I was asked to make sure it was branded to me, so that people knew it was no longer an official IPS product.

#79 Rhett

Rhett

R1Lover

• IPS Staff
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

I would think that can be done without a copyright image on the portal page though right?

I appreciate your work and what you are doing, but would just like an option to remove it, I could just edit it, but that's not right either unless your offering a paid version or are willing to let us edit that out.

Your call, and again thanks for what you do.

"If you're spinning your wheels or sliding backwards... you better look for some traction, before you fall off the road!"

Rhett
Hosting & Support Manager
Invision Power Services Inc

#80 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

Oh, I haven't seen what MichaelJohn did for the copyright on the Portal, I assumed it was just a copyright line of text.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users