• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Worldoversea

Worldoversea

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

I have not updated to G4 to my live forum, I have on my Test board 4.0.1, too many bugs and seems a bit confusing.

I have my old gallery members having their own category, they upload all their albums in that category keeping it nice and neat to find all their images. I don't see this in the new G4, what happened to the listing like the old gallery?

Seems like the new G4 is a bit busy on the main page. Can not configure so you don't see a large first picture on the main page and no comments, etc. I would like the first page just to show my member categories (now Global Albums), is this even possible? Am I missing something?

Members CAN create their own albums, and then create sub albums, however.. That being said, there's nothing to prevent users from creating albums in 'root'.. And, when that happens, it gets awfully busy. I've opened a ticket on this and support also agrees.

People are going to want "XYZ Albums" and then my albums under that.
If anyone can create root albums.. Then.. that blows everything up.
  • Darksbane0 likes this

#2 AndyF

AndyF

iQA4u

• IPS Staff
  • 26,306 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

Regarding album creation in root, you may want to read this topic > http://community.inv...reating-albums/ :) , I have posted a bug report about this earlier today for clarification.

Andrew Ford

Client Support Technician and Marketplace Moderator

Invision Power Services, Inc.

Community Articles - Marketplace Guidelines - Marketplace Blog

A Look Back! - 1.0.1 - 1.3.1 - 2.0.0 - 2.1.7 - 2.2.0 - 2.3.6 - 3.0.5 - 3.1.4 - 3.2.3

#3 Worldoversea

Worldoversea

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 03:47 PM

Thank you Andy. I've also created a couple of Tracker bugs on the root issue as well as others.

This is just one issue and I still stand with the subject of this topic. "Main Page is Way too Busy!"

My members that have looked at it don't want to see all those thumbnails as well as a large main picture.
Give us more configuration control and don't drop the old version of Gallery when IPB 3.2 comes out!

#4 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 05:03 PM

If and when I upgrade to Gallery 4 that large random image will be the first thing to go. Should be just a matter of editing a skin template and deleting some code as I've simulated with the gallery here by "Inspecting" the page and removing the code to display the random image. By using the "Inspect" option that some browsers or browser plugins have you can easily find the code to edit or delete.

But is there not a setting in the ACP not to display the large random image? I would have thought there would be.

3DKiwi
C4D Cafe My IPB powered web site.

#5 info@hansprunner.com

info@hansprunner.com

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:16 AM

In the next update, it will be nice if WE can decide what is shown on the main page:

Big random image: yes/no
Recent images: yes/no
Recently Updated Albums: yes/no
Sub-Albums displayed: yes/no

It will also be nice if WE can decide if the main Gallery 4 page shows the contents in the "Home" mode or in the "Browse Gallery" mode.

Main display: home/browse

This will enable us to set up the Gallery with the informations that our members think are necessary and not with the other silly bits.
  • 3DKiwi, KCF, ZakRhyno and 1 other like this

#6 streetcore

streetcore

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

In the next update, it will be nice if WE can decide what is shown on the main page:

I would like the option to tag image(s) to show on the main page. Something like an "Editor's Pick" or "Pic of the Month", so only the best photos occupy that prominent space.
  • KCF, ZakRhyno, Tigratrus and 1 other like this

#7 Tigratrus

Tigratrus

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 492 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:53 AM

I would like the option to tag image(s) to show on the main page. Something like an "Editor's Pick" or "Pic of the Month", so only the best photos occupy that prominent space.

This is an excellent idea. Leverage the advent of cross app tagging support to provide admins the ability to control the Gallery homepage. :)

#8 Worldoversea

Worldoversea

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

I just looked at the new 4.0.3 Gallery update. Looks like IPB does not care about giving us settings to limit what can be seen on the main page.

Seems to me like it's take it or leave it. There are so many members going to the free albums. IPB does not give us control, we are losing members especially if you make it part of a premium membership.

If and when I upgrade to Gallery 4 that large random image will be the first thing to go. But is there not a setting in the ACP not to display the large random image? I would have thought there would be.
3DKiwi

Big random image: yes/no
Recent images: yes/no
Recently Updated Albums: yes/no
Sub-Albums displayed: yes/no
And how many to display

It will also be nice if WE can decide if the main Gallery 4 page shows the contents in the "Home" mode or in the "Browse Gallery" mode.

Main display: home/browse

This will enable us to set up the Gallery with the informations that our members think are necessary and not with the other silly bits.

#9 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

Yup I just want recent images and global albums. Nothing else apart from statistics at the bottom. I don't want my gallery looking like a cluttered Facebook gallery page with all of the extra nonsense which is what Gallery 4 now looks like.

Please give us control.

3DKiwi
  • Jelly Belly™, Herofiles ★, AlexJ and 1 other like this
C4D Cafe My IPB powered web site.

#10 Worldoversea

Worldoversea

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

Will these control features be implemented for those of us that want to streamline the main page?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users