Aisha

Unrequited Love

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

lol I even replied to that thread. :sweat:
Last Updated --

I'm not a troll. I'm just misunderstood. I'm better than you though. Understand?

#62 Amy T

Amy T

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,994 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

lol I even replied to that thread. :sweat:

I just now replied to it.
otakuplayground.com is my site.

#63 RevengeFNF

RevengeFNF

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 247 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

I also made a Reply there...

#64 hurricaine

hurricaine

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

Forum Rules Link Removed: Major Headache for Forum Administrators

The biggest problem I see with IPB is going to prove to be a very major headache for those of us who run active forums. Some of you may have already discovered that IPS has removed the "forum rules' link from the top of the forums. This is a major mistake. I'm going to run into major problems when someone tries to look for the forum rules link but cannot find it because some gumby decided to place the link in the footer section, obscured with small font text and with font colors so light that you will skip right over it.
  • The Old Man, Haku2, cocoliso and 3 others like this

The Anti-Spam Guide to IPS. This is an updated guide designed to help fight against spammers. While there is no fool-proof method, all you can do is put up roadblocks to slow them down.

Group Badges, Display Name Customization. This is a guide that helps customize forum display names on your message forums.

#65 XiuzSu

XiuzSu

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

I don't know if its just me... but I cannot find the forum rules for the life of me...

#66 Aisha

Aisha

Unrequited Love

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

I don't know if its just me... but I cannot find the forum rules for the life of me...

If you can't find them then they must not exist. :angel:
Last Updated --

I'm not a troll. I'm just misunderstood. I'm better than you though. Understand?

#67 hurricaine

hurricaine

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:40 PM

It's listed as 'Community Rules" under "System". The link appears hidden in the footer section.

The Anti-Spam Guide to IPS. This is an updated guide designed to help fight against spammers. While there is no fool-proof method, all you can do is put up roadblocks to slow them down.

Group Badges, Display Name Customization. This is a guide that helps customize forum display names on your message forums.

#68 Haku2

Haku2

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:02 PM

The biggest problem I see with IPB is going to prove to be a very major headache for those of us who run active forums. Some of you may have already discovered that IPS has removed the "forum rules' link from the top of the forums. This is a major mistake. I'm going to run into major problems when someone tries to look for the forum rules link but cannot find it because some gumby decided to place the link in the footer section, obscured with small font text and with font colors so light that you will skip right over it.

Yeah, that was a bad move. Because of this, administrators will probably now have to make a forum only dedicated to rules just to make sure everyone sees it. I really hope IPS changes their mind about this. This is getting very irritating now.
  • The Old Man, Dreamlander, JahLion and 2 others like this

#69 Christophe

Christophe

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

I have one of my community that has about 75k members.
I can safely say that not a single person ever read the Forums rules...ever (besides me).

If they had they would not bother tech support with question like
person: why am I getting error #1000 when trying to rsvp for an event?
tech: maybe because you did not validate the email confirmation you were sent when you registered your account
person: oh there is an email sent back?
tech: yes it is clearly written in the rules of the forum you have to agree when you register and it is also written in the first email you receive as well as the registration screen
person: yeah I know but nobody reads those as they serve no purpose
tech: you don t say... so anyway check your email and validate the account

Repeat this about 30 times a day and you will get an idea about how helpful forum rules are for us atm. if its more than one sentence people can t be bothered to read when registering :smile:
  • Michael, augenj and sijad like this

#70 XiuzSu

XiuzSu

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

I have one of my community that has about 75k members.
I can safely say that not a single person ever read the Forums rules...ever (besides me).

If they had they would not bother tech support with question like
person: why am I getting error #1000 when trying to rsvp for an event?
tech: maybe because you did not validate the email confirmation you were sent when you registered your account
person: oh there is an email sent back?
tech: yes it is clearly written in the rules of the forum you have to agree when you register and it is also written in the first email you receive as well as the registration screen
person: yeah I know but nobody reads those as they serve no purpose
tech: you don t say... so anyway check your email and validate the account

Repeat this about 30 times a day and you will get an idea about how helpful forum rules are for us atm. if its more than one sentence people can t be bothered to read when registering :smile:

Why is validating the account a rule? If you ask me thats just bad admin setup. If you want them to register for them to use/do something there are 100 ways to do it.

#71 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

Why is validating the account a rule? If you ask me thats just bad admin setup. If you want them to register for them to use/do something there are 100 ways to do it.

That's not the point he was making at all.

Contact Me: Email · Facebook · Twitter · Google+

#72 TCWT

TCWT

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

They also removed the local time in member profiles. :mad:

That is not correct. Hover over the "Online" in Profile...

The person is referring to the FULL profile. What if the member has no posts? You wouldn't be able to hover over their online profile in topic view.

#73 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

They also removed the local time in member profiles. :mad:

I don't think this was ever a feature in 3.1, I don't see it on my site.

#74 Haku2

Haku2

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:54 PM

Another removed feature: It is no longer possible to convert categories into forums.

#75 I am Freddy G

I am Freddy G

The Cheese on the Nacho's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

Yeah, that was a bad move. Because of this, administrators will probably now have to make a forum only dedicated to rules just to make sure everyone sees it. I really hope IPS changes their mind about this. This is getting very irritating now.

Or you can just edit your skin and place a link there. It really only takes less than 5 minutes.
Freddy Gonzalez - IamFreddyG.com

#76 I am Freddy G

I am Freddy G

The Cheese on the Nacho's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:22 AM

Done

ACP -> Look & Feel -> Global Template -> globalTemplate

Find:
<ul class='ipsList_inline' id='community_app_menu'>

Add Below:
<li id='nav_rules' class='right'>
 	<if test="siteruleslink:|:$this->settings['gl_show'] and $this->settings['gl_title']">
  	<li class='right ipsType_smaller'>
   	<a href='<if test="ruleslink:|:$this->settings['gl_link']">{$this->settings['gl_link']}<else />{parse url="app=forums&amp;module=extras&amp;section=boardrules" base="public"}</if>'><if test="siterulestitle:|:$this->settings['gl_title']">{$this->settings['gl_title']}<else />{$this->lang->words['board_rules']}</if></a>
  	</li>
 	</if>
</li>

Done You now have rules link on top of page :)
  • SandraS, tranceandy, JahLion and 2 others like this
Freddy Gonzalez - IamFreddyG.com

#77 Dreamlander

Dreamlander

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:02 AM

Done

ACP -> Look & Feel -> Global Template -> globalTemplate

Find:

<ul class='ipsList_inline' id='community_app_menu'>

Add Below:
<li id='nav_rules' class='right'>
	<if test="siteruleslink:|:$this->settings['gl_show'] and $this->settings['gl_title']">
  	<li class='right ipsType_smaller'>
   	<a href='<if test="ruleslink:|:$this->settings['gl_link']">{$this->settings['gl_link']}<else />{parse url="app=forums&amp;module=extras&amp;section=boardrules" base="public"}</if>'><if test="siterulestitle:|:$this->settings['gl_title']">{$this->settings['gl_title']}<else />{$this->lang->words['board_rules']}</if></a>
  	</li>
	</if>
</li>

Done You now have rules link on top of page :smile:

Yes and every time we upgrade or install a skin we have to edit the template,think if you have more than 1 edit in templates , it'll be a pain doing this everytime.
  • tranceandy and nitt like this
A castle in the forest is made of wood.
A castle in the moutain is made of rock.
But a castle in the sky is made of dreams.

#78 .Ian

.Ian

Needs Life

• +Clients
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:12 AM

Another removed feature: It is no longer possible to convert categories into forums.

Create a new forum and move and sub-forums to it. Should not affect people too much if it has been removed.

Add Comet Chat to your community :smile:  

Non League UK

Play safe and purchase IP.Board from IPS! - click here to buy

Converting from Vbulletin, phpBB or another forum to IPB? Click here for the conversion service - it might be free!

IPS Hosting - click here for the prices & specifications. Some packages include a free version of IP.Board!

#79 Jinkler

Jinkler

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:23 AM

Do you use the FusionMenu? You can just create rules there.

Or edit the template and place some links at the bottom, take a look at my Talkford.com site to see my footer in action.

TalkFord.com - Independent, Unbiased, Ford News, Reviews And Advice. Download The Free TF App - Apple ¦ Android

DaciaForum.co.uk - The UK's number 1 Dacia forum! Download The Free DF App - Apple ¦ Android

SmartWatchForum.com - Smart Watch Reviews, News and Forums. Which one will you buy? Download the Free SWF App - Android ¦ Apple Coming soon...

#80 Michael

Michael

Meet Jay

• +Clients
  • 19,587 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:25 AM

If it's a pain to have to re-add in a link manually, create a hook for it, or request one be made. Hooks like that are dead simple to create, and will be unaffected by skin changes in minor version upgrades. Hooks are your friends.
  • tranceandy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users