Photo
- - - - -

Suggestion: Chat while you browse forum (1 window, not 2)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 ørret

ørret

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

What is really annoying and keeping me from using chat is that I have to have 2 windows open to use chat, 1 to chat and one to actually browse the forum. Good solution? I don't think so. It's a good option to have a full width chat, but not a good solution seeing this as a part of a forum and that you cannot browse the forum when you're on the chat (unless you make 2 windows/tabs).

Suggestion: Chat should be displayed above all content so that you can search through, or do whatever you do on your forum, check calendars, forums, members, gallery etc. I'm talking every page, even edit content pages, inside forums etc, and if chat is not set to display on certain areas, you should never be logged out unless you log yourself out.

A hook would do it. Why do a hook?

1. More people stay online, and you don't have those poor users (like me) accidentally logging off just because they clicked "forum tab", "blogs tab", "members tab", you get the point...
2. Most likely leads to more IP.Chat sales, packages with more users.
3. Most likely leads to more sales for hook author as more people might use the service, and site owners seeing this as something to really put their money on.
4. Could be used as live support?
  • RObiN-HoOD, scorpion23, Roogle and 12 others like this

#2 Benny.

Benny.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:30 AM

What a good idea :)
  • ørret likes this

#3 changeindia

changeindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

yes indeed, even i need something like this.

#4 Roogle

Roogle

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 275 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

would be nice if it was built in like the facebook chat in a bottom bar, where members have the option to turn it on or off.
  • NiftyWolfie, Fantleas, Daniel Chiuchiarelli and 2 others like this

sigka.png

#5 Feld0

Feld0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

What is really annoying and keeping me from using chat is that I have to have 2 windows open to use chat, 1 to chat and one to actually browse the forum. Good solution? I don't think so. It's a good option to have a full width chat, but not a good solution seeing this as a part of a forum and that you cannot browse the forum when you're on the chat (unless you make 2 windows/tabs).

Suggestion: Chat should be displayed above all content so that you can search through, or do whatever you do on your forum, check calendars, forums, members, gallery etc. I'm talking every page, even edit content pages, inside forums etc, and if chat is not set to display on certain areas, you should never be logged out unless you log yourself out.

A hook would do it. Why do a hook?

1. More people stay online, and you don't have those poor users (like me) accidentally logging off just because they clicked "forum tab", "blogs tab", "members tab", you get the point...
2. Most likely leads to more IP.Chat sales, packages with more users.
3. Most likely leads to more sales for hook author as more people might use the service, and site owners seeing this as something to really put their money on.
4. Could be used as live support?

This idea is fantastic, and would be a great way to make IP.Chat more useful. I'm sure that good forum-wide integration would make the product more attractive in people's eyes, and could boost sales of the larger plans.

would be nice if it was built in like the facebook chat in a bottom bar, where members have the option to turn it on or off.

Even better, to prevent the bottom of the screen by being cluttered by a "bottom bar" (personally, I'm not a big fan of them), IP.Chat could be put into a floating, draggable "window" that could be dragged anywhere within the browser window (kinda like the Visual Skin Editor). A simple button in the black area above the forum header could serve to join the room and see how many people are chatting. There could still be a link in the floating window through which you could access the "full" dedicated page for the chat.

chat.png
  • Fantleas, ADKGamers and Greg W. like this

~ The Feldian Network ~

MLP Forums - the friendliest forum on the ponynet

TheWiiU.com - the original Wii U forum community

#6 Jaryl

Jaryl

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Doesn't the shoutbox do what you need?
  • Wolfie and Elly like this

#7 Benny.

Benny.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

this feature would be great,
+1

#8 2ifx

2ifx

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

+1

#9 Positive

Positive

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:33 AM

+1

#10 STuDS0N

STuDS0N

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

I currently use Envolve (www.envolve.com) on phpbb and I am in the process of switching to IP. Envolve stays up while browsing the site which is nice (bottom bar) and has multiple chat channels which I could really use as well.

e-Athlete.net - Madden NFL Football

#11 BradSmith

BradSmith

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

That is kinda cool I like it.

#12 changeindia

changeindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

indeed, this type of functionality is present in vB, they use Ajax for " Recent Topics " + Chatbox above the forum. It looks awesome and leads to interactive community.

#13 Breadfan

Breadfan

The gentle way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

I use Cometchat. I agree making ip.chat better integrated into ip.board ie. being able to browse the forum and chat all in the same window, would be cool.
  • Daniel Chiuchiarelli likes this

#14 Positive

Positive

IPB Full Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

Couldn't it be made as a hook?
  • ørret and Marcher Technologies like this

#15 2ifx

2ifx

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

i use arrow chat now with a push service. Works great!!! increased my members online by 200%

#16 miraclesun

miraclesun

...i defy you, stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

See, this is why I wish IP.Chat had a huge upgrade...people are having to divert to other chat applications. I may end up doing the same and I would rather not.
  • ADKGamers likes this

#17 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

This would be really attractive.

#18 7Bya9K&Q

7Bya9K&Q

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

I also salute this idea. The facebook bar idea is the best idea.

#19 Nils

Nils

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

This would definitely be great, although I don't know how well it would play with the user limit...

#20 ørret

ørret

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

This would definitely be great, although I don't know how well it would play with the user limit...

To avoid all (inactive) users to stay logged in 24/7 there could be a setting to kick those inactive users after x amount of time of inactivity, to open for new active users, and an option for "kicked" inactive users to reconnect whenever they are "back at keyboard". Some jquery smooth soft kick and reconnect. This way we stop people who left their computers for hours with invisionpower forums tab open from taking all chat user slots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users