Photo
- - - - -

Suggestion: Chat while you browse forum (1 window, not 2)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,640 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

By hammering the server. Shoutbox is so resource intensive, we typically do not allow it on our hosting. We've seen first hand the amount of resources it can (I say can, because how often it refreshes is configurable as I understand it) use.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#42 Rod.

Rod.

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

Got it, thanks for the explanation!

#43 Rod.

Rod.

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Would it still be resource intensive if it only updated upon a forum page refresh? That way, if someone had the forum open, chat would not continue to run; it would only show the new chat text upon a forum refresh. Not sure if that would make a difference...?

#44 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,640 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:51 AM

Would it still be resource intensive if it only updated upon a forum page refresh? That way, if someone had the forum open, chat would not continue to run; it would only show the new chat text upon a forum refresh. Not sure if that would make a difference...?

That would be fine, though it does mean that every page request is in effect submitting at least 2 requests to your server (assuming the software continued to run out of an iframe or similar). This does mean you still have more resource utilization, and your server stats would be misleading (10,000 requests would really mean 5,000 page loads, with 5,000 shoutbox requests).

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#45 7Bya9K&Q

7Bya9K&Q

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Yeah I have been running shoutbox for a little while now only allowing about 10 people to use it. It is not bad at that level and seems to have little affect on the speed or server load. But the second I make it public and the entire forum is using it (which I only have about 20 people online at one time) the site becomes virtually inaccessible. Granted, I do have the settings pushing it and my host is nothing to brag about. I certainly see where you are coming from with the intensive resource usage.

#46 2ifx

2ifx

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:28 AM

There's a new chat just released and I paid for the development to have it integrated into IPB. If you want the info send me a PM.

trust me its the best chat around and works like a charm.

#47 Hino

Hino

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

Took a look at ArrowChat, and it's pretty awesome.  IPS should definitely add some functionality like that.  Even a basic service like Enjin has that.

#48 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

I would really like something similar to cometchat and arrowchat for IPS. If they can do it, then IPS can do it too.

APE (AJAX PUSH Engine) can make such facebook chat scalable without hammering the server: http://www.ape-project.org/

• ADKGamers and Hardes Inc. like this

#49 2ifx

2ifx

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

#50 JLS

JLS

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Don't know where you are all at with this conversation but after just finally activating and testing this with our members I can confirm that such a feature would be truly welcomed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users