Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

InvisionFree to IPB 3

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to convert an InvisionFree board (which I believe runs on Invision Power Board v1.3 Final) to the latest stable version of IPB 3, or at least to one of the more recent versions.

Apparently I can gain access to the InvisionFree SQL databases if I contact the InvisionFree team, and there might be a charge based on the number of posts. I can also ask an IPB technician to take care of the move. For those who have successfully converted to IPB, what did you decide to do and why?

Is any info necessarily lost in the transition? And are there any additional steps you can recommend taking to help prevent data loss besides following the steps in the conversion tutorial?

Insight from people who recently attempted a conversion from InvisionFree to IPB 3 would be particularly welcome, but I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

P.S.
I read a thread from last year where some people said they attempted a similar conversion and it was pretty straightforward, but as that thread is old and the software has likely gone through a lot of updates, I thought it would be sensible to re-ask this question pertaining specifically to the more recent versions.

Posted

It is best to contact the conversions team at IPB

conversions@invisionpower.com

• Jay • likes this

Posted

I would like to know this as well

Posted

From what I understand InvisionFree runs an extremely modified version of 1.3. However I do know that 1.3 conversions are possible, but since InvisionFree is so different make sure to contact IPB directly. sales@invisionpower.com answered my question for me, but conversions@invisionpower.com is also there.

cmh likes this

Posted

True, InvisionFree's IPB forums do seem somewhat modified.

I appreciate the email addresses. I'll see what I can find out.

Posted

I did the IF to IPB3 conversion myself using AndyF's Invisionfree Conversion Script a few months ago. I encountered an error on my first try but I just modified the db dump and it worked well.

cmh likes this

Posted

[quote name='Maine' timestamp='1311643709' post='2139992']
I did the IF to IPB3 conversion myself using AndyF's Invisionfree Conversion Script a few months ago. I encountered an error on my first try but I just modified the db dump and it worked well.

So does the database dump that Invisionfree gives you (which I assume you have to pay for) consist of files that can be stored locally i.e. on your own PC, so that you can use them in as many conversions as you want (including re-attempts for a specific software in case of initial failures)? Or does only Invisionfree handle it? The former would be preferred.

Also, presumably the database backup that Invisionfree gives you can be used for any software and any version of said software (if compatible with IPB 1.3.x)?

Thanks for any help.

Posted

They (InvisionFree) make a charge for the database to be provided yes. It does not consist of files, only one file such as 1234567890.sql, that's all that you are given. :)

This is the database dump from your InvisionFree forum. You could use it as many times as you wanted (obviously you'd need a licence for each board you used with it) , the reason for the script (slightly different link, you can view that) being needed is that it just contains the data without any table creation statements in it, so you cannot import it 'as is' as it will error out. The script creates the 'structure' then you can import the data and run the upgrader. :) , its very easy.

IPS can do this for you if you prefer, its not an issue. The script I created for those who wanted to do it themselves, nothing more.

cmh likes this

Posted

Thanks for the help guys, and it sounds like your script might be the way to go, Andy, if I end up converting to IPB 3.x.

I've purchased the database but first my forum needs to go through a restoration, so I've purchased a restoration as well. The resulting sum is fairly hefty, but I went through with it because it's far from easy to re-create hundreds of thousands of posts and regain thousands of members. I'm hoping that they are able to restore everything and then convert it (the term they use for raw data-dumping).

Unfortunately it seems like they don't like providing completion estimates. So I was wondering if any [post-]Invisionfree users here know how long they typically take to process a raw dump (and for those who went through a restoration, how long did that take)?

Posted

After I paid IF for the price they stated, I waited for week before they gave me the .sql file.

cmh likes this

Posted

[quote name='Maine' timestamp='1313058728' post='2151464']
After I paid IF for the price they stated, I waited for week before they gave me the .sql file.

Yes its worth ordering the database dump from InvisionFree in advance, mine took a bit longer than that from what I recall. Obviously its a 'snapshot' of how your board was at that time, so you may want to tell your community that posts made after your 'request' will not survive the transfer.

The actual 'import' / upgrade when you have the InvisionFree database dump is quite easy to do though and if you are not able to do it yourself, a technician will be happy to do it for you.

cmh likes this

Posted

The InvisionFree team has now finished the restoration and raw dump. The restoration was provided 7 days after payment, and the raw dump was finished in less than one business day. I'm very surprised and pleased with the speed that they worked at. Now it's time for me to figure out where to head with this. :)

AndyF likes this

Posted

[quote name='cSkins' timestamp='1313784384' post='2156986']
The InvisionFree team has now finished the restoration and raw dump. The restoration was provided 7 days after payment, and the raw dump was finished in less than one business day. I'm very surprised and pleased with the speed that they worked at. Now it's time for me to figure out where to head with this. smile.png

As others have suggested, you should email sales@invisionpower.com and provide us access to the SQL dump so that we can verify it will be convertible. If we aren't able to convert it, you will likely need to use AndyF's previously linked script. :)

cmh and AndyF like this

Posted

I am considering an IPS-hosted package for the time being. I'm not sure how much the fact that the board is not self-hosted in this case would limit my access in running Andy's script and/or completing the entire conversion process. Given that it is IPS-hosted, would it be possible to completely convert the data myself (with the help of Andy's script) or would I need to call in the Invision team?

Also, am I able to make SQL backups myself if the forum is IPS-hosted? In the FAQs it says I'm always entitled to backups of my data, but it doesn't mention whether I am able to do this myself using the Admin CP feature. I assume that with a backup it would be relatively straightforward to migrate onto a self-hosted IP.Board later.

Thanks for the help!

Posted

No it will not limit that script. You use it to populate a new empty database with a structure, then delete the script. You then upload the database and the files and run the upgrader (there is a little more to it but its in the instructions) , as above a support technician will be able to help with this.

Backups, yes you should have access to Cpanel so you can either use its backup facility (database and or files) or use phpmyadmin to take a database backup.

Regarding moving to self hosting, you could stay on the hosted packages but if you did want to move to self hosting then you'd obviously need a host and a licence (as the hosted community files are not usable outside an IPS server) but this again is straightforward.

cmh likes this

Posted

[quote name='ΑndyF' timestamp='1313915449' post='2157644']
No it will not limit that script. You use it to populate a new empty database with a structure, then delete the script. You then upload the database and the files and run the upgrader (there is a little more to it but its in the instructions) , as above a support technician will be able to help with this.

Cheers for the help Andy. I presume this means that I'll have access to all relevant areas of the software and database to complete conversion myself.

Do you use IPS hosting btw? Looking forward to using your script!

AndyF likes this

Posted (edited)

Once you're an active customer you'll be able to download files from the Marketplace / submit support tickets etc. smile.png

You should have your InvisionFree database already ? , that's more or less all you need from InvisionFree. If you're not sure get a hosted community package for now then you can see about moving to a self hosted licence at a future time. smile.png

Edited by ΑndyF
Typo
cmh likes this