Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Do you want the ability to re-size photos (avatars), to come back?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Re-Size Avatar's

Do you want the ability to re-size avatars back?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Donkerrood

Donkerrood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

Voted either. :)

#42 Ikadon

Ikadon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Matt I would disagree with you in the sense that it is in topic view where we usually see the avatars/photos that a member uses. We use forum software mainly to read topics not to visit user profiles (at least in my case).

In my opinion you can't justify the change because Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Linkedin do it this way as this is a forum, those are not.

The little perk of a slightly larger image on the avatar/photo is used by many of us for special groups, people that donate money, etc.

If it is important for some administrators to have uniform avatar/photos sizes they already had that option and they still do. But for those of us that wanted to have different sizes the option was completely taken away. It is not as simple as increasing the size of the thumbnail as then again, it would be a one size fits all which most of the people in this topic are not after; plus a bit of an annoyance to have to modify the files. Notice I am not talking about most users of IPS as I do understand that the majority of the users do not post here.

I couldn't agree more!

A forum is a forum is a forum is a forum ... and NOT a social network. If people want a social network they will visit one, there are tons out there already ;)
  • Haku2, *Josť Antonio, Blind Bandit and 1 other like this

#43 Wilford Tibbetts

Wilford Tibbetts

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

Is there a place to allow avatars sizes to be, I don't know, "fluid"? You know, so that the avatar is the same demensions, no matter what size the Admin makes it? Like the old way of doing it?

Honestly, this is the first time since I first went to IPB that I've actually thought IPS had taken a step BACK and not forwards. :(

Regards,

Wilford Tibbetts
  • Haku2, Ikadon and Blind Bandit like this
My Forums | My Blog

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." (Thomas Jefferson)
----------------------------------------------
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)

#44 Tomzl

Tomzl

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

Please, give us back the option to choose the dimensions of the avatars we want to display in topics.
  • Haku2 and Ikadon like this

#45 THL

THL

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:53 AM

Yes its rubbish at the minute...bring back the old style avatar system..

#46 Ikadon

Ikadon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:46 AM

I would find this hook great but, apart from the price and the chance it won't be updated to future versions, I dislike that I'd have to set the photo-upload-restrictions for the avatars and therefore lose flexibility?
What if I'd like to allow bigger avatars but smaller photo-uploads? :(

#47 THL

THL

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

I would find this hook great but, apart from the price and the chance it won't be updated to future versions, I dislike that I'd have to set the photo-upload-restrictions for the avatars and therefore lose flexibility?
What if I'd like to allow bigger avatars but smaller photo-uploads? Posted Image

Its not working properly for me...

Come on IPS, give us a working hook to add back the functionality if needed... There is a big demand for this..
  • Ikadon and Blind Bandit like this

#48 Ikadon

Ikadon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

It's really an interesting situation.

Code-wise, would it be much of a challenge or too much investment to to add it back in?

Will IPS just sit it out and hope that most of us will forget about this?

#49 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,141 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

This is now in 3.2.1

Global Option:
Posted Image

Does this:
Posted Image
  • Nimdock, Haku2, SandraS and 7 others like this

Matt Mecham
Invision Power Services, Inc.
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

#50 Ikadon

Ikadon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

This is now in 3.2.1

The height is untouched? So I can have 250x500 avatars (just an example)?

#51 Lewis P

Lewis P

*insert witty comment*

• +Clients
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

Presumably it'll be limited to your group size limit. That setting appears to only limit the width so it doesn't flow over into the post block.
  • Ikadon likes this

#52 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,141 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Ikadon - Correct
Lewis - Correct

Essentially if you enter a max-width, then the width of the full photo will not exceed the width specified but it will maintain the correct aspect ratio.

As Lewis said, the max width is to stop it flowing into the post body which would happen if you allowed 600px wide avatars.

You can still set per-group width and height maximums.

In the screenshot, the second avatar (User 0000) is actually 250px wide but it is shown as 170px wide as per settings.

This allows the best flexibility. You can keep large photos on the profile page without it breaking the topic view.

Also worth mentioning - you can set that setting to 500px if you like and it will make the user column 520px wide. So whatever you set, it will not flow into the post body. It might look a bit odd, though.

Here's a better example:

Posted Image
  • Nimdock, Q8PM, Lord Nowe and 3 others like this

Matt Mecham
Invision Power Services, Inc.
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

#53 Rhett

Rhett

R1Lover

• IPS Staff
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

This is now in 3.2.1

Global Option:
Posted Image

Does this:
Posted Image

Matt, That's awesome news and thank you very much! :)
  • Matt likes this

"If you're spinning your wheels or sliding backwards... you better look for some traction, before you fall off the road!"

Rhett
Hosting & Support Manager
Invision Power Services Inc

#54 Nimdock

Nimdock

Knowledge is Power

• +Clients
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Matt, thank you. :)
  • Matt likes this

Posted Image

#55 Ikadon

Ikadon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

Thank you. Glad to hear this. Now I'm waiting for IP.Content to start using all the IPS products with a new project :)
  • Matt likes this

#56 rastaX

rastaX

Born Analog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

Thank you.
  • Matt likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 THL

THL

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

Awesome whens the update due :D

#58 Breadfan

Breadfan

The gentle way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

I'm fine with either option really. What I would like to see is the ability for guest to see the avatars (or at least an Admin CP option).

#59 Rhett

Rhett

R1Lover

• IPS Staff
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

Matt or any mod, feel free to change the title/first post or amend it, I tried but it seems editing is locked out after some time.

"If you're spinning your wheels or sliding backwards... you better look for some traction, before you fall off the road!"

Rhett
Hosting & Support Manager
Invision Power Services Inc

#60 THL

THL

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

Is there a simple working hook until the update takes place ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users