• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Bobbins

Bobbins

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 393 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

I am still uninterested and impressed with people who can't use a real name / picture on a forum. I take very little of what they say into consideration and just figure that they are hiding from something for some reason. A company name / logo is fine, but to totally hide from the community just seems weird to me. If I walked into social event and 1/2 of the people had paper bags over their heads and no name tags, I know who I would be talking to and who would be ignored. Profile pics are a good idea... avatars were childish and unprofessional and a person sure as heck doesn't need 2 pictures.

Not everyone wants to, and not everyone can. If you want everyone to know your name and see your picture, you can stick with Facebook. Post your real name on a forum and your picture and you'll eventually find it popping up in search engines for years to come. I don't walk about on the street with a name tag on my t-shirt, I give my name out to people who need to know. I don't think people need to see my face on here, nor know my name as I'm only on here for support reasons etc. Also, let's say someone runs a military forum for ex and currently serving soldiers to meet online to share news etc. It wouldn't be the wisest thing to have their real names and photos splashed all over the site. But as you take very little of what people say (without a real name or picture), I don't suppose what I'm saying is of any importance. Also, if avatars are childish and unprofessional, then I suppose everyone in this thread other than you, is childish and unprofessional, as it seems it's only you that's using a picture of yourself, that is indeed if that's really you (as people can always lie about their identity anyway).

What I'm trying to say, is we should be given the option, not told what to do.
  • Ikadon, rastaX and Farron like this
In the fear and alarm. You did not desert me. My brothers in arms.

#42 TheRevTastic

TheRevTastic

Trolololol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

I am still uninterested and impressed with people who can't use a real name / picture on a forum. I take very little of what they say into consideration and just figure that they are hiding from something for some reason. A company name / logo is fine, but to totally hide from the community just seems weird to me. If I walked into social event and 1/2 of the people had paper bags over their heads and no name tags, I know who I would be talking to and who would be ignored. Profile pics are a good idea... avatars were childish and unprofessional and a person sure as heck doesn't need 2 pictures.

That may be the case for you and your forum, but not others.

Taylor Jones (TwitterPersonal Site)
Email: therevtastic.tj@gmail.com
Msn: taylor.jones@therevtasic.com • Aim: IamRevO

#43 cmiller

cmiller

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:30 PM

Or that they value privacy or prefer their posts to be based on a topic and not on themselves. Nothing immature or unprofessional at all about that. It's too bad you're unable to look past what their image or name is. There's also a lot more to people than that.

Then they should show it! How do I know what a person is made of if they hide behind a fake name and photo? I just get nothing out of communicating with anonymous people. To each their own!
My simple wish list to make IPB the ULTIMATE community software and more profitable for site owners.
  • UNIVERSAL GLOBAL SIDEBARS ON ALL PAGES
  • THE ABILITY TO USE AFFILIATE MARKETING LINKS IN IP.NEXUS
  • MAKE IP.CONTENT USEABLE FOR THE LAYPERSON. CONTENT IS KING!
  • ADD AN EASY TO USE CLOUD BASED BACKUP OPTION. (SEE BACKUP BUDDY FOR WORDPRESS)
  • IMPROVE UPON THE BANNER MANAGEMENT WITHIN IP.NEXUS. (MORE LOCATIONS, MORE FLEXIBILITY)
  • ADD AN EMAIL NEWSLETTER FEATURE (AUTO SEND, NEW POSTS, W/OPTIONS - KEEPS 'EM COMING BACK!)
Help me make money with your software, and i'll buy more licenses. Period! $$$

#44 rastaX

rastaX

Born Analog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

This isn't a major issue for me personally, but I can really appreciate it being a problem for some. As someone else pointed out, sometimes it is desirable to follow a specific theme throughout the board. If it is a gamer site or roleplaying, then I can see why the site might want members to use supplied avatars. My feeling is avatars and anonymity are big advantages over the social networking sites where you reveal all your personal info to the entire internet. I am one who enjoys as much privacy as possible while still being able to interact with others. That doesn't make me a bad person, does it?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 Dmacleo

Dmacleo

Meet Jay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

next ip will imitate google + where we have to use full real names to log in/join.

nice..

Dave M
I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.....

#46 Jυra

Jυra

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:43 PM

Then they should show it! How do I know what a person is made of if they hide behind a fake name and photo? I just get nothing out of communicating with anonymous people. To each their own!

Doesn't make a difference if their image and name doesn't tell you much or help you to know them.
  • TheRevTastic likes this
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something." - Woodrow Wilson
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." - Orlando A. Battista
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

#47 DreamPod9

DreamPod9

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

I would be very interested if an upcoming release or a Extra added a 'Gallery' option that could be slotted in with the current Custom and Gravatar options. My forum did use this, and the workaround (making a static HTML page of the old images) is not a great option.

#48 Cyrem

Cyrem

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

The idea of uploading them to my server is stupid as it just clutters up my server and basically I'd have to clear out unused images that just remain there after members update / change their avatar again

I didn't realise logging into the admincp and clicking a single button to remove all unused avatars was so difficult. Guess I was wrong... looks like humankind is doomed after all. More an more I am believing that technology makes people lazy.

I keep seeing posts that many IPB owners don't even visit these forums yet apparently this is what people wanted?

Yes, the ones that visit the forums are... either developers, people that forgot to make a ticket, need a mod or people voicing their opinions publicly so they can get support(like this). A number of owners probably don't fit into those 3 categories and so, don't go any closer than their client panel. Additionally, the big boards that use IPB probably have a bigger say in the direction of the software then 1000 tiny forums where people want to have spam parties, roleplay and colour their names.

IPS didn't fix something that wasn't broke, they clarified the object's use.

#49 askmorty

askmorty

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:10 AM

totally agree, the removal of this feature has wiped out 6 years of hard work from my creative members in helping those who aren't Confident in graphics.

our fandom had competitons every year adding 25 avatars to our galleries which members who weren't able to create such items were excited & happy to use, now IPB have stripped these members from being able to do this because they feel everyone should use Gravatar or upload their own, absolute incompetence on their behalf. They obviously don't give a rats arse re these kind of people.

Thanks IPS for ruining my community which has built up over the past 6 years like family, we help each other but IPS obviousy couldn't care less

I know this topic is old, and no one likes beating a dead horse...  I was looking at my community and it lacks the personality it once had because now there are very few users with Avatars.  I agree with WraithWatcher, and I didn't jump in a with a reactionary post, I waited and now I've seen the results.
  • dreik likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users