• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Edward Shephard

Edward Shephard

Just me

• +Clients
  • 648 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

As someone is no doubt already thinking about the next version of ipC, I thought I'd start a wish list topic:

1) A plugin to build valid xml from custom databases.
2) A good menu manager section, that can build a menu from page structure and/or allow direct editing of the main menu (a bit like fusion menu (sorry Mat)).
3) Breadcrumbs that respect page folder structure.
4) A simple toggle to add a sidebar into a page with content fields for main content and sidebar.
5) Option for global sidebar.
6) Styles consistency between the new ckeditor, the bbcode page editor and the new .ipsType style set.
7) More plugins for board features such as gallery image slider, nexus mini-store.
8) Drag and drop sorting for custom database records.
9) Proper google map support for custom databases - it is highlighted in the sales bumph but is damn difficult to do and not supported by IPS.
10) Multiple attachments in articles as standard (with some nice templates built in).

Please... x
  • When Genius Prevailed, Robert Simons, Ikadon and 3 others like this

#2 Darksbane0

Darksbane0

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 569 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:57 PM

I'd add in:

Tags for articles
Tags for custom database records
Better article managment from the front end.
Integration with the quick navigation feature
  • Edward Shephard, ~sullengirl~, Ikadon and 3 others like this

#3 Ikadon

Ikadon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

/signs

I'll add:

Hello everyone,

first of all let me say that I truly love IP.Content. It's a great framework and highly extensible. But that's being said from an technical viewpoint.
From an enduser-standpoint IP.Content lacks simplicity.

I know, you're gonna try to add more simplicity with each release and I do understand that it's hard to keep the incredible extensibilty but also bridge to the endusers that just want a "out of the box"-cms like Joomla, Drupal or even Wordpress etc.

Here are some ideas:

Enhanced frontend-editing

Instead of having to go into the ACP to access all the features of the editor it would be great if you would have ways to offer them to the frontend.
For example, last time I looked I could not change the SEO-URL from frontend.

There should be easy ways for users to send in news/articles etc. That's the web 2.0-thought, binding your members to you. I want them to be able to add content themselves.

For example, I'm planning a project about a certain subject e.g. "cars". Now I want my members to be able to easily send in their stories, news or whatever for the mainpage as well as own subpages (like "www.cardomain.tld/bikes/.../) etc.

Easy way of adding own menus

In other CMS it's pretty easy to add a menu/navigation without ever touching html.

Easier way of adding images to articles

It should be really easy to add images to articles, images that are already uploaded as well as linked ones. "Reuse" is the keyword!

Authorname should be customizable

When promoting an article the promotor automatically becomes the author, software-wise. In reality this is not always the case.
I wished there was an option to change the author to whatever I want and add a link to his userID or even to an URL!

Subdomains and enhanced Multi-Domain-Support

With Typo3 it's really easy to have one installation dealing with multiple domains and even projects. I'm aware of the fact that this would not be allowed with an IP.Content licencse.
But what I truly want to achieve is a better integration of subsections within subdomains. It would be great if some of this stuff could be automated like in other CMS.

So, that's about it for now.

Thanks for reading and keep up the great work!

Kind regards,
Ikadon

#4 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

Adding mine:
1. System Settings add/import/export functionality for database/category configuration fields.
2.Field and record import/export.
3. Block Group Export/import
I just LOATH the evils of IPC transfer at the moment.
  • mat206, Robert Simons and Syscrusher like this

#5 Jinkler

Jinkler

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:47 AM

Ability to export databases along with associated fields and templates, so they can be uploaded and used on other sites.
  • Edward Shephard and Marcher Technologies like this

TalkFord.com - Independent, Unbiased, Ford News, Reviews And Advice. Download The Free TF App - Apple ¦ Android

DaciaForum.co.uk - The UK's number 1 Dacia forum! Download The Free DF App - Apple ¦ Android

SmartWatchForum.com - Smart Watch Reviews, News and Forums. Which one will you buy? Download the Free SWF App - Android ¦ Apple Coming soon...

#6 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:52 AM

Adding mine:
1. System Settings add/import/export functionality for database/category configuration fields.
2.Field and record import/export.
3. Block Group Export/import
I just LOATH the evils of IPC transfer at the moment.

Ability to export databases along with associated fields and templates, so they can be uploaded and used on other sites.

i would definitively say that not only does one lend to the other, but also that both WOULD be a MASSIVE upgrade to the ipc plug and play functionality.

#7 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

Ability to select skin templates to be exported with blocks to be inserted on import to all skins.
http://community.inv...k-template-r576

#8 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

Ability to select skin templates to be exported with blocks to be inserted on import to all skins.

No ... I SHALL Rephrase this alltogether..... USE the Hook System...
Allow us to select ipcontent templates and blocks to export with a hook.... could help with further bits, surely....
Got to messing with Hooks and i went and Realized that A: Beating the Horse at the wrong end...
B: not only Does IPC need the upgrade.... so does core.... Hooks are the Key Here.

Edited by Marcher Technologies, 06 September 2011 - 03:27 AM.

#9 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,619 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:50 AM

No ... I SHALL Rephrase this alltogether..... USE the Hook System...
Allow us to select ipcontent templates and blocks to export with a hook.... could help with further bits, surely....
Got to messing with Hooks and i went and Realized that A: Beating the Horse at the wrong end...
B: not only Does IPC need the upgrade.... so does core.... Hooks are the Key Here.

I don't understand what you are asking for here. Sounds like you want to export blocks that can be imported as a hook.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#10 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:53 PM

I don't understand what you are asking for here. Sounds like you want to export blocks that can be imported as a hook.

further... i want the hooks system to be able to export per-database settings(we need the ability to add there, hook points, whatever), database/page templates, and a selection of associated blocks to make 1 nice tidy bundle that can be imported.... eg, maybe even a selection of categories/fields/records with a "database"... "full IPC database export/import" utility thoughts.
  • Benny. likes this

#11 Dmacleo

Dmacleo

Needs Life

• +Clients
  • 9,948 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:17 PM

my wish is for documentation.

Dave M
I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.....

#12 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

my wish is for documentation.

they are working on it.... but the fact that a good number of the functions i KNOW to exist in IPB/IPC are not even mentioned in the docs(source code hunts) is quite discouraging.
  • Edward Shephard and Benny. like this

#13 mat206

mat206

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

When working on a development server environment with 3.2 - I would absolutely love if there was a way to export all your block skins as easily as your site skins. To be honest, I'd love if blocks were treated like the skins they are in terms of editing.

Basically, create a base "core" set of block templates for all of your blocks like the standard IPB skin - allow users to extend those templates as well like the skin editor. Then I could EXPORT the whole skin including block templates from my development box to the production box after I upgrade to 3.2. OR I could have a proper mobile device block template that matches up with the mobile skin. OR I could test other block styles I want to publish without affecting the live production style.

#14 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

When working on a development server environment with 3.2 - I would absolutely love if there was a way to export all your block skins as easily as your site skins. To be honest, I'd love if blocks were treated like the skins they are in terms of editing.

Basically, create a base "core" set of block templates for all of your blocks like the standard IPB skin - allow users to extend those templates as well like the skin editor. Then I could EXPORT the whole skin including block templates from my development box to the production box after I upgrade to 3.2. OR I could have a proper mobile device block template that matches up with the mobile skin. OR I could test other block styles I want to publish without affecting the live production style.

This is already doable with hooks... just have to export the block/IPC template separately at this time.
  • mat206 likes this

#15 mat206

mat206

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

I'm going to use this as a workaround for now.. thanks.

#16 hurricaine

hurricaine

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:55 AM

The one thing I want to see?

1. The ability to "drag" the post content box for IP.Content while still logged into the admin control panel.
2. The ability to see images "pop-out" in IP.Content like they do in IP.Board.

There's just some minor inconsistency between IP.Content and IP.Board. While the "post-box" drag feature can be done without being in the admin control panel, this feature doesn't appear within the ACP section for IP.Content.

The Anti-Spam Guide to IPS. This is an updated guide designed to help fight against spammers. While there is no fool-proof method, all you can do is put up roadblocks to slow them down.

Group Badges, Display Name Customization. This is a guide that helps customize forum display names on your message forums.

#17 arikbo

arikbo

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:06 AM

My wishlist mainly revolves around the ckeditor which is so limited its not a wysiwyg html editor in its current form. Nightmare adding a html rich article and having the layout as I want.

The other biggie is the use of tags. It would be nice if tags were useable across all applications.

Having tags would change this need but right now articles can only go in one category..

#18 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:34 AM

even that would be nice TBH farber.... example.
http://community.inv...t-media-system/
if i could select ipc templates and blocks on hook export that would be 1 easily importable file, as it stands its 1 hook, 4 templates, and 5 blocks... AND they still gotta go CONFIGURE the database!!!.... Puhleeze?

#19 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:28 AM

The one thing I want to see?

1. The ability to "drag" the post content box for IP.Content while still logged into the admin control panel.
2. The ability to see images "pop-out" in IP.Content like they do in IP.Board.

There's just some minor inconsistency between IP.Content and IP.Board. While the "post-box" drag feature can be done without being in the admin control panel, this feature doesn't appear within the ACP section for IP.Content.

i will agree on #1... seriously, #2 is so easily doable right now its... saddening docs are truly that lacking.

#20 Benny.

Benny.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:03 AM

i agree with all posts above, be great to have the features added above.

Benny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users