Uninstall Converter After Conversion?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, after converting a forum should we uninstall the IPS conversion mod from the IPB forum? I did this on a test conversion run and experienced a password problem with an account but I'm not sure if this is related to uninstalling the mod or not.

Posted

If you use redirects you shouldn't uninstall the converters.

Posted

If you uninstall the converters the redirect scripts included in the package (if there are any for the script you're converting from) won't work.

♥ Adam ♠ likes this

Posted

Uninstalling the converters may also remove the authentication methods for other forum systems, breaking the login for any converted forum accounts

Alex likes this

Posted

Indeed, as others above have already pointed out, it's not really a good idea to remove the application as it removes critical database tables which are needed post-conversion.

You can lock the converters so people cannot get into them without going into the FTP, however.

Posted

[quote name='Alex' timestamp='1314734255' post='2162597']
Indeed, as others above have already pointed out, it's not really a good idea to remove the application as it removes critical database tables which are needed post-conversion.

You can lock the converters so people cannot get into them without going into the FTP, however.

Alex, I'm planning upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2 in a couple days.Should I "upgrade" the converter package to the one in the downloads too?

Thanks

Posted

There won't be any need to do that, there weren't any database changes in the converters between 3.1 and 3.2. You'd only need the 3.2 ones if you were converting to 3.2.

Posted

Thanks

Posted

Thanks for the info. But it makes me a bit worried about future IPB updates since my Database tables and some other code will be different than pure IPB v3.2.

This means there might be complications on any future upgrades like IPB v3.2 -> v3.5 or v4.0

I was hoping for a clean/pure forum after the conversion with few "mods" etc that will mess things up in the future.