[Suggestion] Notifications for IPDownloads

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Brandon, I apologise in advance as I've suggested this before, but as you're working on the next version of IPDownloads I just wanted to make sure you remember this previous suggestion. Notifications for comments in IPDownloads is a must for us - whilst more people seem to be commenting on our downloads it definitely appears they are not returning to those files to respond or comment further - I firmly believe this is because they are not aware further comments or remarks have been made. If they are automatically subscribed to receive notifications when they comment (could even have a tick box on by default when they comment - gives them the option to untick it if they wish) I'm sure we'd see more returning to the download comments to continue their discussion.

Additionally, I think the submitter should be subscribed automatically to receive notifications on comments, really makes sense when you think about it, it's their download/responsibility so I'm sure they would want to be informed when someone comments?.

Cheers mate
Marko

Posted

I have a hook available for this, but it doesn't look like I can upload to the IP.Downloads area of the Marketplace. (I think it's because I JUST paid my renewal invoice and it probably hasn't cleared yet or something.) As soon as I have permissions again, I'll upload it. This will be a free hook.

markopolo2002 likes this

Posted

Where have you been all our lives!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Posted

[quote name='markopolo2002' timestamp='1319726091' post='2187955']
Where have you been all our lives!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:lol:

File submitted, pending approval.

Posted

Nice one, I'll prob be the first to test this :)

Posted

[quote name='HeadStand' timestamp='1319728105' post='2187977']
:laugh:

File submitted, pending approval.

Just went to have a look but Mike's already approved it for you. :)

Posted

Ah, this is for submitters to receive notifications on comments, still having this without a doubt but I thought you were meaning it would notify those who left comments of further comments - all good though and thanks for taking the time to produce this :)

Posted

I guess I misunderstood your request. I should be able to extend the hook to do what you want, but I don't know when yet... slightly busy the next few days.

PM me next week and nag me. :)

Posted

I can nag no probs :)

Posted

Wait - if you 'follow' a file, aren't you notified of new comments to it?

Posted

Your asking us!? :laugh:

To answer, no it doesn't Brandon, or at least I dont think it does, aw man, you've got me thinking now!! I'll need to check this, I'll be back ......

Posted

OK ma bad, it does!! That answers that then I guess :)

Posted

I thought so, that's why I was asking.

Posted

I think it would still be a worthwhile consideration to auto subscribe members to receive notifications when they make comments, rather than them having to follow a file. We really don't see many people following files on our site.

Posted

[quote name='markopolo2002' timestamp='1319872664' post='2188683']
I think it would still be a worthwhile consideration to auto subscribe members to receive notifications when they make comments, rather than them having to follow a file. We really don't see many people following files on our site.

2 pictures worth a thousand words:

topics and posts... and then the rest.

Posted

Not sure I follow Marcher? None of those options relate to comments for IPDownloads?

Posted

[quote name='markopolo2002' timestamp='1319874384' post='2188688']
Nor sure I follow Marcher? None of those options relate to comments for IPDownloads?

they do...
Auto follow topics I reply to.
Auto follow Files I review.
Auto follow pictures I comment on.
Auto Follow Tracker Items I reply to.
Auto Follow Articles i comment on.
Auto Follow Blogs i comment on.

Posted

Ah, hold on, my apologies, is it this:

post-116929-0-92635900-1319876010_thumb.

Posted

[quote name='markopolo2002' timestamp='1319875685' post='2188695']
Ah, hold on, my apologies, is it this:

post-116929-0-92635900-1319876010_thumb.

o... no no, you miss the point

See that nice little drop-down there? that lets you be auto-subscribed to topics you post in? with options?
I personally Want That Option available for the official apps comments....
discuss.

Posted

So what are we saying, those options don't exist but you want them? From the way I was reading your reply I thought you were trying to say they already existed - if I've got this wrong then I'm going to be even more confused!! :)

Posted

[quote name='markopolo2002' timestamp='1319883249' post='2188726']
So what are we saying, those options don't exist but you want them? From the way I was reading your reply I thought you were trying to say they already existed - if I've got this wrong then I'm going to be even more confused!! :smile:

you are quite correct... perhaps i should have Circled the drop-down i want to be able to use>.<
i think its a shame we dont have the ability to nab a checkbox+dropdown per official app and be done with it....
usually the preferred method, as if you posted in something, you'll want to know when someone replies.... why its such a useful setting for topics/posts

Posted

OK, I see what you mean now, and yes, I agree .. something along the lines of what you suggest would certainly be a vast improvement :)

Posted

btw another good notification is if we have a red button like u see on chat when it shows on the tab how many online users are chatitng now. same feature can apply on ipdownload show the new uploaded files in the tab

markopolo2002 likes this

Posted

[quote name='maidos' timestamp='1320092444' post='2189736']
btw another good notification is if we have a red button like u see on chat when it shows on the tab how many online users are chatitng now. same feature can apply on ipdownload show the new uploaded files in the tab

That's not a bad idea at all :)