IPS vs other forum software (XenForo) - I'm a Prospective Buyer

64 posts in this topic

Posted

I am in research mode right now and I was looking at a few forum softwares. Phpbb didn't make the cut (I don't care that it's free). vBulletin looks like it won't make the cut either (security threats & many bad reviews). It's a tossup between Xenforo and IPS. Both look good to me.

Does anyone have anything they can share with me (and other prospective IPS customers) regarding IPS over Xenforo? Why did you chose IPS over other forum software?

AinirishaFahAppacy likes this

Posted

If all you want is a forum only then either will be fine. However if you want a gallery and or downloads then Xenforo can't compare with IPB. Then there's Chat, Blogs, IP Content, Nexus (selling stuff).

So to summarise - Xenforo is a forum only whereas IPB is the entire suite for running an on-line community.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

Posted

[quote name='3DKiwi' timestamp='1320722674' post='2193078']
If all you want is a forum only then either will be fine. However if you want a gallery and or downloads then Xenforo can't compare with IPB. Then there's Chat, Blogs, IP Content, Nexus (selling stuff).

So to summarise - Xenforo is a forum only whereas IPB is the entire suite for running an on-line community.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

Would like to drop my two cents.
not only is IPB an entire suite, but after having mussed with xen a tad myself, it is literally no match to IPB in terms of extending the functionality with modifications.

Rhett, • Jay •, .Ian and 3 others like this

Posted

I chose IPS as it is a 'suite' as 3D Kiwi hinted at.

vBCMS was... <insert unpleasant remark> in my opinion

XenForo looked pretty good, but is still maturing and I wanted an all-in-one package so I wouldn't need to run separate forums + website. Knowing I could (when I learn the skills) expand the functionality with IP.Content I was sold on who to go with.

• Jay • likes this

Posted

IMO, IPB has a better, more easy to control, permission system than xenforo. On xenforo it's too easy for me to slip up and give someone access to something they shouldn't have.

Posted

XenForo is a new startup, and in version 1.0.
The fact it's in version 1.0 (and development of 1.1 is moving very slowly) means that some features one would expect from forum or community software aren't present - as a random example, you can't delete all topics in a forum - I know that's not a whizz-bang feature by any means, but you sort of expect it to be in a forum software :P
Also, they're being sued by Internet Brands (the company that owns vBulletin) and I'd be surprised if they still exist in a few months.

IPS on the other hand, is a well-established company with a well-matured product, regular updates, and a strong team of developers and support staff.

Phuong Nguyen likes this

Posted

Out of curiosity, I have done some reading on this and to be honest this comment is very wide of the mark and shouldn't really be on here.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/a-statement-regarding-the-current-litigation.7567/
http://gracelaw.com/XenForo.html
http://gracelaw.com/XenForo-Rosenblum.html

so please, unless you are up to date with your facts, you should avoid commenting.

IPS on the other hand, is a well-established company with a well-matured product, regular updates, and a strong team of developers and support staff.

yeah, this about sums it up, IPS is well supported and a mature system. I will say that XenForo may have the edge on innovative thinking but have a way to go before they catch up with IPS's mature product range

Also, they're being sued by Internet Brands (the company that owns vBulletin) and I'd be surprised if they still exist in a few months.

Posted

Generally XenForo is hyped and a more immersive, lightweight forum software. It's absolutely great just at that- being a forum. If that's all you seek, it's probably going to be a good choice.

That said, IPB and the whole IPS is a far more powerfull suite granting you the tools and software to manage the entire community. It comes with incredible plugins and integration and delivers a top of the notch set of features.

To make it short, it's comparable to Symbian vs iOS in it's early days, Symbian having the edge on features and possibilities and iOS on usability and User Interface. Wether XenForo will manage to catch up like iOS did? I do not know. But I sincerely doubt it.

The IPS Team has always been very fast on development and adopting new features. They won't let XF hype past them, not without a good fight. vBulletin, on the other hand... Stay far away from it.

Conclusion: If you want a simple, forum and just that. A forum. Go for XenForo. If you want a community, go for IPB. Truly, IPB is far more powerful, but if you aren't going to use it, it'd be a shame to navigate through it on a daily base :tongue: I chose IPB and never regretted it. I feel it is a more mature software and I suspect i'll be increasingly satisfied by the fact I didn't join the hyping bandwagon.

Posted

Also, xenforo doesn't let you make custom bbcode. Seriously now..

Posted

[quote name='Aisha' timestamp='1320767066' post='2193266']

That :P
sooo many times where its preferable to hand a bbcode for something that would otherwise require html posting.

Posted

[quote name='Marcher Technologies' timestamp='1320767506' post='2193274']
That :tongue:
sooo many times where its preferable to hand a bbcode for something that would otherwise require html posting.

Though, if all he wants is a forum, one that "just works", he won't notice that :P Mind you, most of us here are a lot more experienced with communities and coding then the average forum admin :P

Posted

Invision power board is one of the best content management systems out there and Xenforo will never compare at the rate its currently going, especially with the price. :o

But, still, nevertheless, i have to agree that IPB is a suite really and if you don't have the addons or mods or knowhow, its just a simple forum to you ;)

Posted

If you are going to ask about comparison on IPB, you will get replies biased towards IPB. You can try posting a similar query on XF and check the responses.

[quote name='Alexander V' timestamp='1320764573' post='2193241']Conclusion: If you want a simple, forum and just that. A forum. Go for XenForo. If you want a community, go for IPB.
That about sums it up. If you want only a forum then I feel XF gives the most user friendly experience out of the box.

[quote name='Aisha' timestamp='1320767066' post='2193266']

shaks and Richard.C like this

Posted

I shouldn't have to install an addon to make custom bbcode lol.

Mark likes this

Posted

You pays your money you takes your choice

These questions are a bit like asking on a ford forum whats the better car a mondeo or insignia

You have to play with them all and work out what suits you best

Posted

It's quite easy.

http://www.invisionp.../suite/demo.php
http://xenforo.com/demo/

Take your time. The suite of IPS can somewhat be overwhelming when you see it the first time in admin control panel mode and all apps enabled. :wink: But you can play with forum only. Disable the rest of the applications to get the forum only feeling.

Mark and Aisha like this

Posted

XenForo has some of the slowest development I've ever seen, and it's still just a baby. Give XenForo some time to mature and grow and it'll be able to compete... Mybb is the best looking and feature filled free forum software to date. Mybb is right behind IPB in Design in my opinion. Being a vBulletin & 2 time IPB License owner, I speak from experience when I say IPB is much much better. The way the internet is changing a lot of forum software are becoming obsolete, such as vBulletin 3. IPB has seemed to always change with the times, as in vBulletin has always been stuck/frozen in time until they released vBulletin 4, which doesn't really do anything you ask it to do.

So IMO..

IPB > Mybb/vBulletin 4 > vBulletin 3 > Phpbb/smf/punbb/etc.

Posted

I hate the MyBB admin panel. I've already looked at Xenforo but at its current stage I think IPB is better

Posted

At the moment being:

IPB > xenForo > MyBB > vB

but in the future, if IPB won't improve dramatically:

xenForo > IPB > MyBB > vB

Posted

[quote name='Swift-' timestamp='1320799593' post='2193545']
XenForo has some of the slowest development I've ever seen, and it's still just a baby.

I don't own any XF forum but I don't see slow development. They are progressing at fast pace.

@OP As Mark said, try both demo which are free and decide which you like most!

shaks likes this

Posted

IPB is by far the best paid forum software at this current time. Xenforo still has a few features to add and areas to improve before I would consider moving to them.

vB 4.x is probably the worst paid forum software to ever come out, in my opinion.

I can't really tell what will happen in the future however I really would love to see a totally redesigned IPB in the near future. I think the 3.x series has sadly run it's course and needs a swift update to get it up to modern social networking standards. I don't mean copy Facebook and Twitter but make IPB function in a fast and simple way like those sites, would be amazing.

The latest 3.2 release was a step in the right direction I wanted to IPB to go however it still feels "clunky" in places for users. An example of this would be the notifications menu, which I think is totally off putting to users and should never be in a product like IPB. Others are the current editor which still seems to have loads of bugs.

If there will ever be a 4.0 series of IPB then I would like to see a lot of features modernised, condensed and removed. Xenforo might not have the features of IPB but they are building it in the right way by adding features over time, especially when they can keep an eye on sites like Twitter and Facebook. They also have had the advantage of coming out with totally new coded software so they didn't have to put up with complaints like "why did you remove x feature?" etc. IPS don't have that advantage which makes it harder for them to advance.

My suggestion would still be IPB tho. :thumbsup:

Posted

DUDE! You guys gave awesome answers! JEEZE, thanks! I have tried the Xenforo demo for the past 3 days. It's easy to use and I like it. But I am very thankful for the people mentioning that if I wanted to create a community, then choose IPB. Xenforo is awesome, but I am going to start an online school so this will be more community based. Also one other BIG factor, I noticed Xenforo only offers Paypal as an option for my subscribers. IPB allows me to use my merchant account Authorize.net.

Aisha likes this

Posted

[quote name='Pereira' timestamp='1320804958' post='2193572'] IPB is by far the best paid forum software at this current time. Xenforo still has a few features to add and areas to improve before I would consider moving to them. vB 4.x is probably the worst paid forum software to ever come out, in my opinion. I can't really tell what will happen in the future however I really would love to see a totally redesigned IPB in the near future. I think the 3.x series has sadly run it's course and needs a swift update to get it up to modern social networking standards. I don't mean copy Facebook and Twitter but make IPB function in a fast and simple way like those sites, would be amazing. The latest 3.2 release was a step in the right direction I wanted to IPB to go however it still feels "clunky" in places for users. An example of this would be the notifications menu, which I think is totally off putting to users and should never be in a product like IPB. Others are the current editor which still seems to have loads of bugs. If there will ever be a 4.0 series of IPB then I would like to see a lot of features modernised, condensed and removed. Xenforo might not have the features of IPB but they are building it in the right way by adding features over time, especially when they can keep an eye on sites like Twitter and Facebook. They also have had the advantage of coming out with totally new coded software so they didn't have to put up with complaints like "why did you remove x feature?" etc. IPS don't have that advantage which makes it harder for them to advance. My suggestion would still be IPB tho. :thumbsup:

So true!

Posted

I think either will be useful for a forum.
To answer your question. I chose IPB because once you have your board you're going to need more accessories like IPContent in my case, I consider it a nuclear weapon if it is known to use (in a good way). I don't know if XF has something so flexible and powerful like this.