• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 franciscocmeza

franciscocmeza

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

I am in research mode right now and I was looking at a few forum softwares. Phpbb didn't make the cut (I don't care that it's free). vBulletin looks like it won't make the cut either (security threats & many bad reviews). It's a tossup between Xenforo and IPS. Both look good to me.

Does anyone have anything they can share with me (and other prospective IPS customers) regarding IPS over Xenforo? Why did you chose IPS over other forum software?
  • AinirishaFahAppacy likes this

#2 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

If all you want is a forum only then either will be fine. However if you want a gallery and or downloads then Xenforo can't compare with IPB. Then there's Chat, Blogs, IP Content, Nexus (selling stuff).

So to summarise - Xenforo is a forum only whereas IPB is the entire suite for running an on-line community.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi
  • Jay , Mark, AlexJ and 1 other like this
C4D Cafe My IPB powered web site.

#3 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

If all you want is a forum only then either will be fine. However if you want a gallery and or downloads then Xenforo can't compare with IPB. Then there's Chat, Blogs, IP Content, Nexus (selling stuff).

So to summarise - Xenforo is a forum only whereas IPB is the entire suite for running an on-line community.

Hope this helps.

3DKiwi

Would like to drop my two cents.
not only is IPB an entire suite, but after having mussed with xen a tad myself, it is literally no match to IPB in terms of extending the functionality with modifications.
  • Jay , Maxxius, Rhett and 3 others like this

#4 Freeborne

Freeborne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:14 AM

I chose IPS as it is a 'suite' as 3D Kiwi hinted at.

vBCMS was... <insert unpleasant remark> in my opinion

XenForo looked pretty good, but is still maturing and I wanted an all-in-one package so I wouldn't need to run separate forums + website. Knowing I could (when I learn the skills) expand the functionality with IP.Content I was sold on who to go with.
  • Jay likes this

#5 Aisha

Aisha

Unrequited Love

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:43 AM

IMO, IPB has a better, more easy to control, permission system than xenforo. On xenforo it's too easy for me to slip up and give someone access to something they shouldn't have.
Last Updated --

I'm not a troll. I'm just misunderstood. I'm better than you though. Understand?

#6 Boris_

Boris_

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

XenForo is a new startup, and in version 1.0.
The fact it's in version 1.0 (and development of 1.1 is moving very slowly) means that some features one would expect from forum or community software aren't present - as a random example, you can't delete all topics in a forum - I know that's not a whizz-bang feature by any means, but you sort of expect it to be in a forum software :P
Also, they're being sued by Internet Brands (the company that owns vBulletin) and I'd be surprised if they still exist in a few months.

IPS on the other hand, is a well-established company with a well-matured product, regular updates, and a strong team of developers and support staff.
  • Phuong Nguyen likes this

#7 Richard.C

Richard.C

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 602 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:53 AM

Also, they're being sued by Internet Brands (the company that owns vBulletin) and I'd be surprised if they still exist in a few months.

Out of curiosity, I have done some reading on this and to be honest this comment is very wide of the mark and shouldn't really be on here.
http://xenforo.com/c...itigation.7567/
http://gracelaw.com/XenForo.html
http://gracelaw.com/...-Rosenblum.html

so please, unless you are up to date with your facts, you should avoid commenting.

IPS on the other hand, is a well-established company with a well-matured product, regular updates, and a strong team of developers and support staff.

yeah, this about sums it up, IPS is well supported and a mature system. I will say that XenForo may have the edge on innovative thinking but have a way to go before they catch up with IPS's mature product range

Are we there yet? how many more minutes 'till we're there? It's so not fair! I hate you! - Welcome to Christmas 2011

ST Owners Club

#8 Alexander V

Alexander V

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

Generally XenForo is hyped and a more immersive, lightweight forum software. It's absolutely great just at that- being a forum. If that's all you seek, it's probably going to be a good choice.

That said, IPB and the whole IPS is a far more powerfull suite granting you the tools and software to manage the entire community. It comes with incredible plugins and integration and delivers a top of the notch set of features.

To make it short, it's comparable to Symbian vs iOS in it's early days, Symbian having the edge on features and possibilities and iOS on usability and User Interface. Wether XenForo will manage to catch up like iOS did? I do not know. But I sincerely doubt it.

The IPS Team has always been very fast on development and adopting new features. They won't let XF hype past them, not without a good fight. vBulletin, on the other hand... Stay far away from it.

Conclusion: If you want a simple, forum and just that. A forum. Go for XenForo. If you want a community, go for IPB. Truly, IPB is far more powerful, but if you aren't going to use it, it'd be a shame to navigate through it on a daily base :tongue: I chose IPB and never regretted it. I feel it is a more mature software and I suspect i'll be increasingly satisfied by the fact I didn't join the hyping bandwagon.

#9 Aisha

Aisha

Unrequited Love

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

Also, xenforo doesn't let you make custom bbcode. Seriously now..
  • Marcher Technologies likes this
Last Updated --

I'm not a troll. I'm just misunderstood. I'm better than you though. Understand?

#10 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

That :P
sooo many times where its preferable to hand a bbcode for something that would otherwise require html posting.

#11 Alexander V

Alexander V

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

That :tongue:
sooo many times where its preferable to hand a bbcode for something that would otherwise require html posting.

Though, if all he wants is a forum, one that "just works", he won't notice that :P Mind you, most of us here are a lot more experienced with communities and coding then the average forum admin :P
  • Marcher Technologies likes this

#12 Nevo

Nevo

Webmaster

• +Clients
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

Invision power board is one of the best content management systems out there and Xenforo will never compare at the rate its currently going, especially with the price. :o

But, still, nevertheless, i have to agree that IPB is a suite really and if you don't have the addons or mods or knowhow, its just a simple forum to you ;)

Did you like my Post? Did I Help you anyway with the contents of my Post? Well Than...

Please say Thank you by Pressing the Button on the right side of the my Post:  gallery_146014_1635_618.png

#13 SubStrider

SubStrider

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:10 PM

If you are going to ask about comparison on IPB, you will get replies biased towards IPB. You can try posting a similar query on XF and check the responses.

Conclusion: If you want a simple, forum and just that. A forum. Go for XenForo. If you want a community, go for IPB.

That about sums it up. If you want only a forum then I feel XF gives the most user friendly experience out of the box.

This is incorrect. They may not have an inbuilt feature but there exists a very good add-on which can do just that. I have been using it for a year now.
  • Richard.C and shaks like this

#14 Aisha

Aisha

Unrequited Love

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

I shouldn't have to install an addon to make custom bbcode lol.
  • Mark likes this
Last Updated --

#15 tenaki

tenaki

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

You pays your money you takes your choice

These questions are a bit like asking on a ford forum whats the better car a mondeo or insignia

You have to play with them all and work out what suits you best

IP.Board 3.4.6

#16 Hatsu

Hatsu

Forsaken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

It's quite easy.

http://www.invisionp.../suite/demo.php
http://xenforo.com/demo/

Take your time. The suite of IPS can somewhat be overwhelming when you see it the first time in admin control panel mode and all apps enabled. :wink: But you can play with forum only. Disable the rest of the applications to get the forum only feeling.
  • Mark and Aisha like this
@gerdgrossmann

Posted Image

Want to track bugs in your projects?
The Tracker App
TracDown

#17 Mark

Mark

I dropped the "iggy"

• IPS Staff
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

http://www.invisionp.../suite/demo.php

Bingo. Let the software speak for itself - I think the choice is fairly obvious.
  • Alex K. and .Ian like this

Mark Wade
Developer

zce-php5-3-logo.gif php5-zce-logo-new.gif

#18 Inked

Inked

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

XenForo has some of the slowest development I've ever seen, and it's still just a baby. Give XenForo some time to mature and grow and it'll be able to compete... Mybb is the best looking and feature filled free forum software to date. Mybb is right behind IPB in Design in my opinion. Being a vBulletin & 2 time IPB License owner, I speak from experience when I say IPB is much much better. The way the internet is changing a lot of forum software are becoming obsolete, such as vBulletin 3. IPB has seemed to always change with the times, as in vBulletin has always been stuck/frozen in time until they released vBulletin 4, which doesn't really do anything you ask it to do.

So IMO..

IPB > Mybb/vBulletin 4 > vBulletin 3 > Phpbb/smf/punbb/etc.
CapitalGamers.Com Is Coming Soon...

#19 Glumbo

Glumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:48 PM

I hate the MyBB admin panel. I've already looked at Xenforo but at its current stage I think IPB is better
Comparison Shopping - Find the best prices for millions of products

FREE File Hosting - Uploads larges files with 500 GB of FREE storage!

Posted Image

#20 Guest_Reystar_*

Guest_Reystar_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

At the moment being:

IPB > xenForo > MyBB > vB

but in the future, if IPB won't improve dramatically:

xenForo > IPB > MyBB > vB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users