• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 AlexJ

AlexJ

Profiler

• +Clients
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

XenForo has some of the slowest development I've ever seen, and it's still just a baby.

I don't own any XF forum but I don't see slow development. They are progressing at fast pace.

@OP As Mark said, try both demo which are free and decide which you like most!
  • shaks likes this

referral-0105609001340182954.jpg

#22 Pereira

Pereira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

IPB is by far the best paid forum software at this current time. Xenforo still has a few features to add and areas to improve before I would consider moving to them.

vB 4.x is probably the worst paid forum software to ever come out, in my opinion.

I can't really tell what will happen in the future however I really would love to see a totally redesigned IPB in the near future. I think the 3.x series has sadly run it's course and needs a swift update to get it up to modern social networking standards. I don't mean copy Facebook and Twitter but make IPB function in a fast and simple way like those sites, would be amazing.

The latest 3.2 release was a step in the right direction I wanted to IPB to go however it still feels "clunky" in places for users. An example of this would be the notifications menu, which I think is totally off putting to users and should never be in a product like IPB. Others are the current editor which still seems to have loads of bugs.

If there will ever be a 4.0 series of IPB then I would like to see a lot of features modernised, condensed and removed. Xenforo might not have the features of IPB but they are building it in the right way by adding features over time, especially when they can keep an eye on sites like Twitter and Facebook. They also have had the advantage of coming out with totally new coded software so they didn't have to put up with complaints like "why did you remove x feature?" etc. IPS don't have that advantage which makes it harder for them to advance.

My suggestion would still be IPB tho. :thumbsup:

#23 franciscocmeza

franciscocmeza

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

DUDE! You guys gave awesome answers! JEEZE, thanks! I have tried the Xenforo demo for the past 3 days. It's easy to use and I like it. But I am very thankful for the people mentioning that if I wanted to create a community, then choose IPB. Xenforo is awesome, but I am going to start an online school so this will be more community based. Also one other BIG factor, I noticed Xenforo only offers Paypal as an option for my subscribers. IPB allows me to use my merchant account Authorize.net.
  • Aisha likes this

#24 Guest_Reystar_*

Guest_Reystar_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

IPB is by far the best paid forum software at this current time. Xenforo still has a few features to add and areas to improve before I would consider moving to them. vB 4.x is probably the worst paid forum software to ever come out, in my opinion. I can't really tell what will happen in the future however I really would love to see a totally redesigned IPB in the near future. I think the 3.x series has sadly run it's course and needs a swift update to get it up to modern social networking standards. I don't mean copy Facebook and Twitter but make IPB function in a fast and simple way like those sites, would be amazing. The latest 3.2 release was a step in the right direction I wanted to IPB to go however it still feels "clunky" in places for users. An example of this would be the notifications menu, which I think is totally off putting to users and should never be in a product like IPB. Others are the current editor which still seems to have loads of bugs. If there will ever be a 4.0 series of IPB then I would like to see a lot of features modernised, condensed and removed. Xenforo might not have the features of IPB but they are building it in the right way by adding features over time, especially when they can keep an eye on sites like Twitter and Facebook. They also have had the advantage of coming out with totally new coded software so they didn't have to put up with complaints like "why did you remove x feature?" etc. IPS don't have that advantage which makes it harder for them to advance. My suggestion would still be IPB tho. :thumbsup:

So true!

#25 AlexMc

AlexMc

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

I think either will be useful for a forum.
To answer your question. I chose IPB because once you have your board you're going to need more accessories like IPContent in my case, I consider it a nuclear weapon if it is known to use (in a good way). I don't know if XF has something so flexible and powerful like this.
  • Cmarenburg, Marcher Technologies, Nathanial B. and 1 other like this

#26 Guest_Reystar_*

Guest_Reystar_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

I think either will be useful for a forum.
To answer your question. I chose IPB because once you have your board you're going to need more accessories like IPContent in my case, I consider it a nuclear weapon if it is known to use (in a good way). I don't know if XF has something so flexible and powerful like this.

here's a xenforo website with a portal for homepage, http://worldofblizzard.com/ looks pretty simple, but it's great
  • AlexMc likes this

#27 AlexMc

AlexMc

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 333 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:27 PM

here's a xenforo website with a portal for homepage, http://worldofblizzard.com/ looks pretty simple, but it's great

I like it, even that does not seem too flexible, but it looks good

#28 Aisha

Aisha

Unrequited Love

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

DUDE! You guys gave awesome answers! JEEZE, thanks! I have tried the Xenforo demo for the past 3 days. It's easy to use and I like it. But I am very thankful for the people mentioning that if I wanted to create a community, then choose IPB. Xenforo is awesome, but I am going to start an online school so this will be more community based. Also one other BIG factor, I noticed Xenforo only offers Paypal as an option for my subscribers. IPB allows me to use my merchant account Authorize.net.

If you master IP.Content then you'll be extremely satisfied, trust me.
  • Nathanial B. likes this
Last Updated --

I'm not a troll. I'm just misunderstood. I'm better than you though. Understand?

#29 Guest_Reystar_*

Guest_Reystar_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

Seriously if you want a homepage, get Wordpress for it, better seo, more frexible, huge list with mods. Wordpress > IP.Content any time any place
  • Jυra, shaks and Feld0 like this

#30 Aisha

Aisha

Unrequited Love

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:09 AM

Seriously if you want a homepage, get Wordpress for it, better seo, more frexible, huge list with mods. Wordpress > IP.Content any time any place

Unless you want full integration with the forum and your homepage.
  • AlexMc, Marcher Technologies and Eric Allione like this
Last Updated --

I'm not a troll. I'm just misunderstood. I'm better than you though. Understand?

#31 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,753 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

Unless you want full integration with the forum and your homepage.

to refute your comment kindly aethorn, even IF one prefers WP and such, there is not ANY other soft/mod in existence that will allow one to easily take data from one system, and place it in another like IPC can with external blocks.
  • AlexMc and Nathanial B. like this

#32 Alexander V

Alexander V

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:47 AM

I would also like to note there's nothing as flexible as IP.Content. Absolutely. Nothing.

Because you can pretty much build the entire page yourself without limitations if you wish.

Just felt like stating that.

I would also add one more con to XenForo, at this time pretty much every XenForo site seems to look the bloody same. For example, the skin Aethorn linked to is the dark version of the same skin used from http://getspout.org and http://bukkit.org and god knows how many more sites. No idea why- but it's certainly something to take into mind.
  • Aisha and Nathanial B. like this

#33 Guest_Reystar_*

Guest_Reystar_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:05 AM

I would also like to note there's nothing as flexible as IP.Content. Absolutely. Nothing.

Because you can pretty much build the entire page yourself without limitations if you wish.

Seriously? Does that matter to the entry level user? NOT. And really? Nothing is that flexible? What about Drupal?

#34 Alexander V

Alexander V

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:08 AM

Seriously? Does that matter to the entry level user? NOT. And really? Nothing is that flexible? What about Drupal?

You yourself said wordpress is more flexible as one of its advantages and now you refute the counter claim as not mattering? Sounds like we have some double standards in here pal. (Unless my English just sucks and "Frexible" is an actual other word?)

Do you know what you're talking about mate? IP.Content let's you create loose PHP pages and use content blocks from IPB, or use IPB as skin and wrapper... You can create anything you like with it.

#35 Guest_Reystar_*

Guest_Reystar_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:16 AM

Yes there couple WP frameworks that are really advanced, you really compare IP.Content to WP & Drupal?

WP is good, Drupal is the devil and IP.Content is just fine...and i don't think you can even compare mods that are available for Drupal & WP to those available for IPC...

And you can actually bridge Drupal/WP with IPB

#36 Alexander V

Alexander V

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:31 AM

Yes there couple WP frameworks that are really advanced, you really compare IP.Content to WP & Drupal?

WP is good, Drupal is the devil and IP.Content is just fine...and i don't think you can even compare mods that are available for Drupal & WP to those available for IPC...

And you can actually bridge Drupal/WP with IPB

IP.Content is capable of doing far more then Drupal AND WP when handled by a programmer and can be set up to basically look good and display articles + a few blocks even by a novice given a few hours of attention and patience. Hence I state for what it's meant to do, IP.Content is awesome. It's not built to be a stand alone CMS like Joomla, Drupal, WP. It's build to power a website backed by your forum and/or add site-like pages to your forum.

Bridges work just fine, but when it comes to a professional site, you want more then that. And that's where IP.Content comes in the picture.

I have to say, IPS really lacks an easy to use CMS add on. A bridge just doesn't work very cleanly and IP.Content is a real overkill and a total pain to use for smaller communities. Though, if you dough out 200 dollars for a community that you don't consider worth that extra time- you probably deserve it :P Rich bastards :P

#37 Guest_Reystar_*

Guest_Reystar_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:38 AM

IP.Content is capable of doing far more then Drupal AND WP when handled by a programmer and can be set up to basically look good and display articles + a few blocks even by a novice given a few hours of attention and patience. Hence I state for what it's meant to do, IP.Content is awesome. It's not built to be a stand alone CMS like Joomla, Drupal, WP. It's build to power a website backed by your forum and/or add site-like pages to your forum.

Bridges work just fine, but when it comes to a professional site, you want more then that. And that's where IP.Content comes in the picture.

I have to say, IPS really lacks an easy to use CMS add on. A bridge just doesn't work very cleanly and IP.Content is a real overkill and a total pain to use for smaller communities. Though, if you dough out 200 dollars for a community that you don't consider worth that extra time- you probably deserve it :tongue: Rich bastards :tongue:

Now you really think that IP.Content can create a more professional website than Drupal? IP.Content's nature is to be used as a front-page, cause it's pre configured to work flawless with IP.Board that doesn't mean that other CMS, again, we talking about CMS, can't be integrated to IP.Board...

I'm not sure how you compare those 2 scripts

#38 Alexander V

Alexander V

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:44 AM

Now you really think that IP.Content can create a more professional website than Drupal? IP.Content's nature is to be used as a front-page, cause it's pre configured to work flawless with IP.Board that doesn't mean that other CMS, again, we talking about CMS, can't be integrated to IP.Board...

I'm not sure how you compare those 2 scripts

I am yet to see a bridge that works the way I would want it to work.

Well, see for yourself. http://invisionpower.com is powered by IP.Content. Not exactly what you'd expect from IP.Content, right?
  • Nathanial B. and Chirag Chauhan like this

#39 Aisha

Aisha

Unrequited Love

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

The fact that the user is an idiot does not change the fact that IP.Content is extremely flexible and that you can do anything with it.
  • Nathanial B. and Chirag Chauhan like this
Last Updated --

#40 Hardes Inc.

Hardes Inc.

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:18 PM

It is obvious that outperforms IPS xenForo away, but have more time Remember IPSand in its version 3 (or I'm wrong), was released just xenForo in 2010 not long ago, it is obvious that IPS has added more features to xenForo

Because if by Kier, the put all the features you want and make that version 1.1 ofxenForo thousand times greater than that of IPS ... But if I did then as you would withother versions would not have anything new to implement.

It is my opinion ... thanks. Sorry for my English, I am a Venezuelan

"It does not take a philosopher to be smart,just be smart and not a philosopher"
Reinhard A. Almeida Jimenez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users