17 replies to this topic

#1 `Scotty`

`Scotty`

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:38 PM

I have an IP.Board license, but I've been fiddling with IP.Content on the demo forums and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to make IP.Content the main website. I am looking to start up a website and I want it to function as invisionpower.com does. IP.Content is used when you go to domain.com and then when you navigate to domain.com/forums you get the forums.

Any idea how I can do this? I've probably already spent 5 hours trying to figure it out own my own :baby: .

I don't own an IP.Content license yet, but I am going to be ordering it in a few days.
Posted Image

#2 Gaffney

Gaffney

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

------------------------------------------------
4. Using CCS outside of your forums
------------------------------------------------

While the above are suitable solutions, and can be used in any situation, you may also (or in place of the above) want to access CCS pages outside of your forum root directory. A good example for this would be to have CCS power your main website, while your forums remain in the /forums subfolder as in the previous examples. CCS is perfect for this scenario, but does require some work on your part to successfully set this up.

You will need to take the following steps in order to set CCS up in the root of your site (using the previous examples)

1) Take the "index.php" file from the Tools folder of your CCS download and open it in a text editor. At the top of the file you will see the following

/**
* You must define the path to your IPB installation here, with a trailing slash.
* THIS IS A PATH, NOT A URL. So, for example if this file is located in the root
* of your site at /home/account/public_html and your forums are in a subfolder
* named forums, you would set this to /home/account/public_html/forums/
*/
$path_to_ipb = './forums';

Edit the $path_to_ipb variable to point to the directory IP.Board is installed in. If in doubt, verify the correct path with your host.

2) Upload the file to the folder you specified

3) In the IPB ACP navigate to My Apps -> Community Content System. Click on "Advanced" in the left hand menu. Configure the "URL to index.php" setting appropriately. In the above example you would set it to "http://www.yoursite.com". Click Update Settings.

4) At this stage, you can access pages from your forum root directory using the following URL structure

http://www.yoursite....folder/test.php

5) If you would like to remove /index.php/ from the URL, go back to the IPB ACP and on the same "Advanced" page, change the setting "Use .htaccess mod_rewrite" to "Yes". Again, click "Update Settings".

6) Click the button at the top right of the page to "Download .htaccess" and download this file to your computer. Now upload it to the same folder you uploaded the index.php file to in step 2. You should now be able to successfully access CCS pages without the /index.php/ in the URL like so

http://www.yoursite....folder/test.php

i7 860 @ 3.36GHZ - ATI 5770 - OCZ Agility 3 120GB - 8GB DDR3 Ram - 750W - 1TB WD Black - Intensity Pro - Dazzle Platinum - 2x 19" LED TV's - Logitech Performance MX

#3 Rugger

Rugger

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

Two options:

1. http://invisionfocus...b-on-left-side/
2. http://community.inv...ion-management/

:)

#4 Con

Con

XR3X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:34 AM

Personally I would have preferred if there were a default option to incorporate IPC pages into the main navigation on IPB and related apps, because in some cases that could make a site's features seem better integrated. For example, the Gallery or Marketplace could be seen as part of the entire site rather than just part of the forum software.

That's one reason I propose the following:
http://community.inv...plication-tabs/
http://community.inv...avigation-tabs/
sig.png

#5 steve00

steve00

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:35 AM

Personally I would have preferred if there were a default option to incorporate IPC pages into the main navigation on IPB and related apps, because in some cases that could make a site's features seem better integrated. For example, the Gallery or Marketplace could be seen as part of the entire site rather than just part of the forum software.

That's one reason I propose the following:
http://community.inv...plication-tabs/
http://community.inv...avigation-tabs/

Sorry not exactly sure what trying to achieve.

If wanting the IP.Content tab to appear with all the other 'tabs' then it already does this.

If wanting the IP.Content tab to appear before the forum tab then this can also be done very easily with no editing of any template

If meaning something else then can you please explain

==================================================================================

If you like my answer or it solves your question then please mark my reply as 'Like' or 'Best Answer' 

==================================================================================

Video Tutorials: Change Primary Nav Links - Import 3.4.x skin

World Clock Hook - Member's local time, and time in up to 6 cities around the world

Having trouble upgrading your skins, we can upgrade your IPB skins for you - PM me for further info.

My IPB 3.4.6 Skins: NEW Cobolt - Cerulean - ChritmasTime - Christmas - NOTE: ALL OUR 3.4.5 Skins work with 3.4.6 & require no changes

My IPB 3.4.5 Skins: GreenTheme - BlueSwirl - BlueWaveBlueToneRed Theme - RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone - AmplifiedBlue 

My IPB 3.4.4 Skins: RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone - AmplifiedBlue 

My IPB 3.4.3 Skins: RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone

My IPB 3.4.2 Skins: RedBase

My IPB 3.4.1 Skins (ONLY $10 EACH): Red GlassGoldenTheme - Scarletise - Purple Grain - GrimsonGrey - ViridisAureus - Red Devil - Carbonise

My IPB 3.3.4 Skins: Carbonise - Purple Grain - Blue Grain - Scarletise - CrimsonGrey - Red Devil - ViridisAureus

#6 Con

Con

XR3X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:04 AM

Edit: See post below.
sig.png

#7 Con

Con

XR3X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

Sorry not exactly sure what trying to achieve.

If wanting the IP.Content tab to appear with all the other 'tabs' then it already does this.

If wanting the IP.Content tab to appear before the forum tab then this can also be done very easily with no editing of any template

If meaning something else then can you please explain

I mean the option to have a tab for any IP.Content page appear anywhere among the primary_nav tabs via simple reordering.
sig.png

#8 steve00

steve00

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:50 AM

I mean the option to have a tab for any IP.Content page appear anywhere among the primary_nav tabs via simple reordering.

So if you have 50 IP.Content pages you want them all to show along the nav_tab .. if so then would need a lot of space (but somehow do not think you mean that do you)

If you like my answer or it solves your question then please mark my reply as 'Like' or 'Best Answer' 

Video Tutorials: Change Primary Nav Links - Import 3.4.x skin

World Clock Hook - Member's local time, and time in up to 6 cities around the world

Having trouble upgrading your skins, we can upgrade your IPB skins for you - PM me for further info.

My IPB 3.4.6 Skins: NEW Cobolt - Cerulean - ChritmasTime - Christmas - NOTE: ALL OUR 3.4.5 Skins work with 3.4.6 & require no changes

My IPB 3.4.5 Skins: GreenTheme - BlueSwirl - BlueWaveBlueToneRed Theme - RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone - AmplifiedBlue 

My IPB 3.4.4 Skins: RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone - AmplifiedBlue 

My IPB 3.4.3 Skins: RedBase - Red Glass - BluZone

My IPB 3.4.2 Skins: RedBase

My IPB 3.4.1 Skins (ONLY $10 EACH): Red GlassGoldenTheme - Scarletise - Purple Grain - GrimsonGrey - ViridisAureus - Red Devil - Carbonise

My IPB 3.3.4 Skins: Carbonise - Purple Grain - Blue Grain - Scarletise - CrimsonGrey - Red Devil - ViridisAureus

#9 Con

Con

XR3X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

So if you have 50 IP.Content pages you want them all to show along the nav_tab .. if so then would need a lot of space (but somehow do not think you mean that do you)

There should be an option to choose which IPC pages to display as tabs and which to not.

Also, even if a lot of IPC pages were displayed, they could be grouped into tab menus or moved into a "more" zone.

I believe there might already be at least one mod that enables such features, but such features should be included by default IMO.
sig.png

#10 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,712 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:35 AM

There should be an option to choose which IPC pages to display as tabs and which to not.

Also, even if a lot of IPC pages were displayed, they could be grouped into tab menus or moved into a "more" zone.

I believe there might already be at least one mod that enables such features, but such features should be included by default IMO.

.... I just have a question.
must these all be in the primary navigation at all?
is there not a far more superior, scalable solution in the quick navigation extension?

#11 Con

Con

XR3X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

.... I just have a question.
must these all be in the primary navigation at all?
is there not a far more superior, scalable solution in the quick navigation extension?

Sure, the quick navigation could be utilized as well, and there's more space there. But the tabs are more visible, and therefore more readily apparent to any visitors. Ideally there would be extra link options for both the primary navigation and quick navigation components.
sig.png

#12 `Scotty`

`Scotty`

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

Awesome, thank you for the help everyone. Looks like I will be purchasing IP.Content very soon!
Posted Image

#13 Curious George

Curious George

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

I recently bought IP Board after asking a few questions about converting from Xenforo (to which I never really got answer to on here but on another forum).

Now, I'm looking at buying IP Content and using it as a Portal Homepage.

Only problem is, having reading through numerous topics online in this community, there's no instruction on how to make IP Content your homepage if you installed IPB in your root directory. I'm probably missing the information or not understanding it.

How would you define the above variable if your IPB is in your root?

#14 Semel

Semel

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

I recently bought IP Board after asking a few questions about converting from Xenforo (to which I never really got answer to on here but on another forum).

Now, I'm looking at buying IP Content and using it as a Portal Homepage.

Only problem is, having reading through numerous topics online in this community, there's no instruction on how to make IP Content your homepage if you installed IPB in your root directory. I'm probably missing the information or not understanding it.

How would you define the above variable if your IPB is in your root?

You need to read this one.

http://community.inv...-home-page-r174

Did I help you solve an issue? Don't forget to mark the answer as solved and like, to make it easier for others to find the solution.

Invision Power Services

#15 Curious George

Curious George

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

You need to read this one.

Thanks for the guidance Semel, but that's where I got the variable from which I pasted in my post.

My issue is there's no guidance on there to make IP Content your homepage where you have installed IPB in your root directory. The guidance on that page is for those who installed IPB on a subfolder.

If I'm missing something, could someone please shed some light?

#16 Mark H

Mark H

Gramps

• IPS Staff
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

The top half of that document does explain how to do what you described.

If IP.Content is running at domain.com and the forum is located at domain.com/forums then the document is exactly correct with its example.

If you have problems setting that up, please feel free to open a support ticket, and we'd be glad to assist you.

#17 Curious George

Curious George

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

The top half of that document does explain how to do what you described.

If IP.Content is running at domain.com and the forum is located at domain.com/forums then the document is exactly correct with its example.

If you have problems setting that up, please feel free to open a support ticket, and we'd be glad to assist you.

Hi Mark,

I am looking to buy IP Content, as so far I am impressed with IPB which I bought only few days ago after making sure it work convert my old forum okay.

My question is if IP Content is running at domain.com AND forum is located at domain.com, then how would you go about setting this up? I can't see there is any documentation for this. If there is then kindly show me the link and advise. I can see there is documentation for domain.com/forum but not if the forum is at domain.com

#18 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,561 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

The article explains this already. :)  You are simply overlooking it.

Note the big yellow box at the top says

(Note that there are two sets of instructions in this article. The top half is for if you wish to use IP.Content to serve pages from outside your forum directory anywhere, the bottom half is if you want to set the default forum application to CCS, for instance, if your forum is located at http://www.site.com and when you go to that address, you want IP.Content to load rather than the forum).

Please scroll down and read the bottom half of the article.  It does, indeed, explain how to do what you are after (you should add a file called constants.php with a specific define statement inside it).

• Curious George likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users