• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

Just upgraded to Gallery 4.1.2. I was hoping that album navigation would be improved. Nope. You can see the problems here on IPS's own gallery.

1. When you go into "member's gallery" you in fact get albums. I would expect to get the parent member name. Instead you get the albums all over the place. At my own site I've got 3 albums. Are they listed all together? No.

2. Following on from above you get the album name but not the member's name. How stupid is that? How do I know at a glance who the album belongs to?

3. Again clicking on "Member's albums" the thumbnails are recently uploaded images. Not what I would expect. You get these on the gallery portal page. I would expect to see galleries by member name with whatever cover image they have selected. This Member's Gallery page should be sorted by name and have multiple sort options to display member's galleries.

4. Again clicking on "Member's gallery". I've got to flick through pages of albums to find my own stuff. Okay let's do a search. Nope, no results for my own member name here on IPS's own site. On my own site the search seems to be done on comments so any comment that includes my member name is included plus I get about 2 images out of 50 that I've uploaded. Why not all of them? Weird.

No doubt there are other issues but these are what I picked up after a few minutes with 4.1.2

3DKiwi
  • optrexnz, CallieJo and TaffyCaffy like this
C4D Cafe My IPB powered web site.

#2 Charles

Charles

Needs Life

• IPS Management
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

We released 4.2.0 today.

Charles Warner
Invision Power Services, Inc. - President
charles.warner@invisionpower.com

Please do not PM me but feel free to contact me by email.

#3 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

We released 4.2.0 today.

Every point Kiwi made above is still an issue.
http://community.inv...embers-gallery/
...... its a members gallery? really? which gallery album is whom's then?
  • optrexnz likes this

#4 svit

svit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

It seems we have lost the Feature Photo function for sub albums? I cannot imagine running my 6 licences without this feature. I have gone through the settings but cannot find a way to switch it on?

#5 Gerry 5039

Gerry 5039

Proud to have served my Queen & Country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

I am sorry but despite being told the Admin Control Panel would be brought back, it has not, the logistics of the album now is an absolute nightmare. We waited all this time for nothing, thank you. I bought my Gallery software not my members, yet it seems my members have full control of my software, when it should be the other way round.

All I can say now is that none of my regiments software will be renewed, and being constructive what direction is IPS taking, as I, and I am sure many others reading through many of the threads on this forum are so disappointed with the direction being taken.

I know we on this forum are only about 5 or 6% of your clientèle, and therefore its easy to say sod it, they are a very small minority, and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. We cant even vote with our pockets because it would not even make a dent, we just have to live with it or buy elsewhere.

The thing that gets me though is despite a long talk with a member of IPS before my eye operation 7 weeks ago, none of my concerns have been addressed. I am keeping this constructive, I don't want a flame war, I am just expressing my opinion, I am now going to have to install another Gallery and move all my photographs over to it. Shame because the Gallery used to be brilliant, if not the best at one time.
  • 3DKiwi, Neuro, ZakRhyno and 3 others like this

"Duty is everything. The greatest of joys, the deepest of sorrows."

Posted Image

Support your Troops

22 years proud service for Queen and Country

#6 tenaki

tenaki

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

I am sorry as well but I have to agree with the above and really don't want to go off topic. I don't want to change gallery purely because it interacts with the member base where other galleries don't and I am never going back to bridges and the like.

I am now going to have to install another Gallery and move all my photographs over to it

Think long and hard before you do is all I can say for the reasons I posted above eg the connection with members.

IP.Board 3.4.6

#7 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Oops, I meant that I upgraded to Gallery 4.2. The member's gallery is still a disaster. If anything it's got worse than it already was.

Here's another issue.

Click on browse
Click on Global albums

Why is the member's gallery listed in with Global albums? The albums themselves aren't global.

Sorry IPS, but what we've got with 4.2 is a total disaster as far as a member gallery is concerned. I would suggest that IPS get some ideas on how a gallery should work by looking at Piwigo. Not perfect but much easier to browse and find what you are looking for. If Piwigo had more options for member uploading I would ditch IP Gallery in an instant.

3DKiwi
  • Maxxius likes this

#8 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

I am sorry but despite being told the Admin Control Panel would be brought back, it has not, the logistics of the album now is an absolute nightmare. We waited all this time for nothing, thank you. I bought my Gallery software not my members, yet it seems my members have full control of my software, when it should be the other way round.

All I can say now is that none of my regiments software will be renewed, and being constructive what direction is IPS taking, as I, and I am sure many others reading through many of the threads on this forum are so disappointed with the direction being taken.

I know we on this forum are only about 5 or 6% of your clientèle, and therefore its easy to say sod it, they are a very small minority, and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. We cant even vote with our pockets because it would not even make a dent, we just have to live with it or buy elsewhere.

The thing that gets me though is despite a long talk with a member of IPS before my eye operation 7 weeks ago, none of my concerns have been addressed. I am keeping this constructive, I don't want a flame war, I am just expressing my opinion, I am now going to have to install another Gallery and move all my photographs over to it. Shame because the Gallery used to be brilliant, if not the best at one time.

The sentence in bold spells it out.
Admins have little to no control of how the gallery looks and functions........
Quite the downer when its our money, and not the members going into this script...
And before its stated... yes, im certain i could rampage on the template to add basic items like the album author, and hooks for filtering and sorting....
Not really the point.
  • 3DKiwi, joelle and CallieJo like this

#9 Kirito

Kirito

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:52 AM

I've noticed many of these issues myself when upgrading from IP.Board 3.0.2 to 3.2.3. I don't remember what the previous gallery version was, but it was much older.

There were many improvements I loved, but overall, things looked very messy.

I've been largely looking forward to 4.2.0, as it introduced many features I had been direly needing. So I've kinda "put off" doing any extensive work to the gallery until I've had a chance to upgrade. However, I'm now a little weary of upgrading.

Nonetheless, I can't write a full out review on my opinions on the software until I give it a go myself. I'll upgrade sometime later tonight or tomorrow and post an actual review.

RBiD22P.png This signature utilizes cookies. By continuing to view topics I have posted in, you are giving consent to cookies being used. RBiD22P.png

If you have a problem with this, please click here. Thank you.

#10 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:08 AM

I actually agree about the member albums and it's a high priority issue to fix. I think a user name based approach works better than listing all albums. It's definitely something I want to work on.

4.2 was about fixing the big issues and working on ACP navigation. We're certainly not done yet!
  • Rhett, Marcher Technologies and Kirito like this

Matt Mecham
Invision Power Services, Inc.
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

#11 3DKiwi

3DKiwi

IPB regular

• +Clients
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

Thanks Matt. Refreshing to hear your response.

Nigel

#12 svit

svit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:20 AM

Another thing I have noticed. With upgrade I have lost all thumbnails of parent albums which had no photos directly stored within them, but which had subalbums with photos.(see here http://www.ideon.cz/...czech-republic/) this is really painful as our albums structure is deep and users need to have the visual contact with what they are clicking at. I really need to have this resolved at least by an option for album to push its thumbnail up to the parental album. This feature has been requested for more than a year.

It is very unpopular to take out functions from us (clients), without letting us to choose whether we wish to keep the old functionality. The problem is we don't have really a choice, as we need to keep upgrading to keep track with other useful additions to the applications. By this upgrade I gain some useful features but I lost previous, at this point more important, functionality. Did I have choice not to upgrade?

Other script authors (e.g. Enkidu's Notices system) keep choices for their clients to decide how should their modules behave after upgrades. I have the feeling that Gallery is 'burning bridges' after itself and more flexibility and choices for us admins wouldn't harm anyone.

#13 Kirito

Kirito

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:30 AM

4.2.0 was supposed to include tagging, correct?

I can see tagging support in the ACP, but there's no place to add tags to images anywhere. When editing or uploading a new image, there's no box for adding tags to images at all.

Also, is it at all possible to globally enforce detailed listings? For all newly created albums, that is. If not, this is a feature I would definitely like to see. Detailed listings look and go much better with my site. If anything, maybe just have the detailed listings box checked by default.

Lastly, can I have it set where the Gallery page loads "Global Albums" only by default? Instead of "Global and Member Albums"

RBiD22P.png This signature utilizes cookies. By continuing to view topics I have posted in, you are giving consent to cookies being used. RBiD22P.png

#14 insp

insp

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:43 AM

4.2.0 was supposed to include tagging, correct?

I can see tagging support in the ACP, but there's no place to add tags to images anywhere. When editing or uploading a new image, there's no box for adding tags to images at all.

Same issue here

#15 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

Another thing I have noticed. With upgrade I have lost all thumbnails of parent albums which had no photos directly stored within them, but which had subalbums with photos.(see here http://www.ideon.cz/...czech-republic/) this is really painful as our albums structure is deep and users need to have the visual contact with what they are clicking at. I really need to have this resolved at least by an option for album to push its thumbnail up to the parental album. This feature has been requested for more than a year.

It is very unpopular to take out functions from us (clients), without letting us to choose whether we wish to keep the old functionality. The problem is we don't have really a choice, as we need to keep upgrading to keep track with other useful additions to the applications. By this upgrade I gain some useful features but I lost previous, at this point more important, functionality. Did I have choice not to upgrade?

Other script authors (e.g. Enkidu's Notices system) keep choices for their clients to decide how should their modules behave after upgrades. I have the feeling that Gallery is 'burning bridges' after itself and more flexibility and choices for us admins wouldn't harm anyone.

Please submit a support ticket for my attention. I'd like to investigate this further.

Matt Mecham
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."

#16 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Matt. Refreshing to hear your response.

Nigel

I really wanted to overhaul the member's portal in 4.2 but sadly there wasn't time. I really want to do it, though. I want to go back to Gallery soon after Christmas to look at these things.

Matt Mecham

#17 Gerry 5039

Gerry 5039

Proud to have served my Queen & Country

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

I really wanted to overhaul the member's portal in 4.2 but sadly there wasn't time. I really want to do it, though. I want to go back to Gallery soon after Christmas to look at these things.

Thanks for your reply Matt, nice to see you are reading this mate, I have one question please why is the concentration of the Gallery on members, when it is the Forum owner who pays for the software, after I buy and set up the Gallery, I don't expect to have to go to each respective album to make changes, and then the members can go straight in and change them back again. On the forum I run for the MOD all photographs become copyright of the forum, that does not mean the forum owns them, it is to stop them being placed on social networking sites or shared elsewhere, as most of if not all the photographs contain more than one person in the photograph who may have not allowed the photograph to be posted to the open public for security reasons.

All the photographs must be watermarked which I was able to do via the ACP settings, now I have to go into each album in the gallery and select the force watermark, I should be able to do this from the Admin control panel as I am the one who has paid for the licence not the members.

IP Gallery was once the flagship of IPB, it was brilliant, it had a good balance, easy to use,and good control of it by the licence owner only. Can we please have that back?

Again I quote

"I really wanted to overhaul the member's portal in 4.2 but sadly there wasn't time."

Why is the Admin Control Panel not being overhauled ?
  • CallieJo and Marcher Technologies like this

"Duty is everything. The greatest of joys, the deepest of sorrows."

Posted Image

Support your Troops

22 years proud service for Queen and Country

#18 svit

svit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

Also, is it at all possible to globally enforce detailed listings? For all newly created albums, that is. If not, this is a feature I would definitely like to see. Detailed listings look and go much better with my site. If anything, maybe just have the detailed listings box checked by default.

I can see both tagging and detail listing settings after clicking on 'Edit' (album), I am not having problems with that.

#19 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,733 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

Matt, I believe you are glazing a bit of the point.
As above, while a front-end template twitch is all well and good.
Give the Admins Back Control of what they Bought.
Stop allowing the members to dictate how the software behaves... give that back to the ADMIN who bought it.
  • 3DKiwi likes this

#20 Kirito

Kirito

Needs Serious Help

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

I can see both tagging and detail listing settings after clicking on 'Edit' (album), I am not having problems with that.

I already said I could see it in the ACP, but not on the live site.

There's no tagging in the actual gallery. You can't add tags to existing images, you can't add tags to new uploads, you can't view tags for any images at all. Even when adding "pre-defined" tags to an album, no tags display when uploading an image.

This was a feature I was really looking forward to, and am disappointed to see that it doesn't appear to work in almost any sense.

As for the "detailed listings", this does nothing when creating a new album. New albums will never use detailed listings by default for me, even when "enforcing" it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users