Photo
- - - - -

Bulk mail - How may emails can i send for a day..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ajay Cherukuri

Ajay Cherukuri

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

if u buy hosting from IPB,and if i have 10k members...can i send a blast mail to all at a time(atlease once a day with our any other server?

#2 Collin S.

Collin S.

IP.Hippie

• +Clients
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

if u buy hosting from IPB,and if i have 10k members...can i send a blast mail to all at a time(atlease once a day with our any other server?

The bulk mailer built into IP.Board is designed for infrequent communication with a smaller user base. If you are planning on sending 10,000 members blast mail at least once a day, the bulk mailer will not be a good fit for you. I would suggest using a professional newsletter management system such as MailChimp http://mailchimp.com/pricing/ or aWeber: http://www.aweber.com/pricing.htm

-Collin S.
Invision Power Services, Inc.

if mouthsize > handsize
boogaloo shrimp and pogo sticks

#3 Pherson

Pherson

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:48 AM

On a side note, is it best to do such massive mailings using a separate domain from the one used for the forum?

I think the worst case scanario would be for the forum's domain to be treated as a source of spam, as registration confirmation emails might then not be delivered.

#4 MikeHolly

MikeHolly

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

My host threatens to suspend an account if they send over 500 emails in any one hour, I also read they do not take kindly to sending mails in one hit, all at the same time, burns up server resource so I am told but best check with your individual host policy.

#5 Collin S.

Collin S.

IP.Hippie

• +Clients
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:48 AM

On a side note, is it best to do such massive mailings using a separate domain from the one used for the forum?

I think the worst case scanario would be for the forum's domain to be treated as a source of spam, as registration confirmation emails might then not be delivered.

This is a frequent concern for many users.
Ideally, people wouldn't use the "mark as spam" button as an unsubscribe. Respect your user's choice to unsub and don't make them jump hoops.

If you have a very large community, or have lots of inactive members that won't remember joining your site, you may want to try alternate mailing methods such as the ones you mentioned.

My host threatens to suspend an account if they send over 500 emails in any one hour, I also read they do not take kindly to sending mails in one hit, all at the same time, burns up server resource so I am told but best check with your individual host policy.

Check out this thread for info on that: http://community.inv...t-sent-per-hour
  • MikeHolly likes this

-Collin S.
Invision Power Services, Inc.

if mouthsize > handsize
boogaloo shrimp and pogo sticks

#6 Robulosity2

Robulosity2

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

You can usually throttle how many messages IP Board sends out, per batch. Understandably depending on the MTA they are using, large scale mass-mailings can bring some servers to a crawl (exim is a good example as it's a bit of a pig, and tends to be the default smtp engine on cpanel based setups)

There's also really no harm in using the same domain name as your forum for outbound mail, as any black listing tends to be done based on IP/Hostname. If you have a dedicated IP than it's not so much an issue as than you know anything comming out (assuming you properly secured fire walls etc) is from you or your site. If your on a shared IP, than you are at a higher risk as your never sure if someone else behind that IP is sending out garbage, but any systems Admin worth their salt would be monitoring for suspicious traffic

#7 Eduardo Bautista

Eduardo Bautista

Needs Serious Help

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

You should check out SendGrid.com and then just use SMTP to send the messages.
  • Stephen Webb likes this

#8 HecKel

HecKel

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Sorry for "re-using" this topic, but I have exactly same problem. However, I don't have access to this topic:

Check out this thread for info on that: http://community.inv...t-sent-per-hour

This is one of our major issues prior to moving to any software, is this possible to do? Is it possible to set how many emails per hour can be sent by the whole community? (PMs, bulk-email, topic subscriptions, etc)

#9 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

My site sends out about 50.000 subscriptions, birthday, registrations, validations, notifications, etc, emails per month. Without confirming to the various very strict anti-spam laws(USA, EU, World), including proper bounce management, websites get blacklisted as a spammer, and email does not arrive for part of the members. I found that on other forum platforms like vbulletin, most webmasters were not aware they were blacklisted.
In fact its illegal to send email without confirming to the various anti-spam laws. Until this date about every forum online breaks these laws, without any legal repercussions. But considering recent developments, its not unlikely that anti-spam laws can pose a serious legal threat to forums in the future. I have written various articles on this subject matter.

To protect my site against blacklisting and to protect myself against legal threats, I have built advanced bounced management into my current forum software. I wonder if I would need to rewrite this for IPB, or if IPB already has functionality in this regard.

Does IPB have any kind of bounce management? How does it send out email? Does it use the servers apache mail service? How does IPBs email system work and does it take the laws concerning spam into account?
You list various email services. But do these services manage subscription/notification emails?

Could you explain the restrictions with sending out mass email? The topic you link to is not accessible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users