Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rework permissions of the IP.Gallery

25 posts in this topic

Posted

We decided not to use IP.Gallery for the user albums only for global albums with premoderation. There are a lot of issues with permission and I just list them here:

1. The permission "Create new album" does include the permission to create album "for friends only". It is not logical in my eyes that those two permissions are not handled separately.
2. The permission "Create private album" works only if we at the same time allow public (and thus "for friends only") album. It is not obvious for me, why this permission depends on the first one?
3. When user deletes images in his album, IP.Gallery suggests to move his images to another album. Good. BUT it also suggests any global album where premoderation is needed and thus the premoderation can be bypassed.
4. Images from the global album are not shown in the user profile to the visitors. However, they are shown there if the account owner sees his own profile. Why? Any other application shows users content in the profile according to the view permission. Only IP.Gallery does not do this in the user profile.
5. Featured image is picked from ANY album. For us "no go". We have premoderated and clean global albums where we would like to have featured images picked for the start page. User albums are not premoderated, so that we cannot control WHAT is on the start page of the gallery. Live situation on our project - user has uploaded obscene and illegal image that instantly appeared on our gallery start page.

These are 5 major reasons why permissions in IP.Gallery should be reworked.

Hatsu, CallieJo, TaffyCaffy and 3 others like this

Posted

I agree although some of what you're saying I haven't tried out. Permissions and album organisation need a complete rewrite.

3DKiwi

Gerry 5039 likes this

Posted

[quote name='Sonya*' timestamp='1328222851' post='2227588']
5. Featured image is picked from ANY album. For us "no go". We have premoderated and clean global albums where we would like to have featured images picked for the start page. User albums are not premoderated, so that we cannot control WHAT is on the start page of the gallery. Live situation on our project - user has uploaded obscene and illegal image that instantly appeared on our gallery start page.

Jeez, and here I thought I just couldn't find the setting for featured image. This is, in my opinion, a right blunder. My members do not manage my community - I do. As such, I'd like to have control over what's displayed as "featured" within my gallery. As it happens, I would like to feature photos that are directly related to the main topic of my community, and not the latest pic of one of my member's cats.

I'm with Sonya on this - let us set given albums as sources for featured image.

Gerry 5039 likes this

Posted

Hello.

I too abandoned my ideas to use the gallery due to all the problems me ruined above.

Gerry 5039 likes this

Posted

Totally agree with you Sonya, I bought my Gallery software as well, and I pay for to keep the support going, now I no longer own it. It is causing my board real problems, and we are not recieving any written updates, however, written updates are shown for IP Board, IP Content and others but no mention of the Gallery at all since the last disaster.

ipsnews_item.gifIP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: A few more SEO tweaks ipsnews_item.gifIP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: Performance Enhancements ipsnews_item.gifIP.Content 2.3 Dev Update: Odds and Ends ipsnews_item.gifIP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: Banning and more SEO t... ipsnews_item.gifIP.Content 2.3 Dev Update: Introducing Block Te... ipsnews_item.gifIP.Content 2.3 Dev Update: Nexus Blocks ipsnews_item.gifIP.Content 2.3 Dev Update: Improved Relational ... ipsnews_item.gifIP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: Reputation Enhancements ipsnews_item.gifIP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: Miscellaneous Enhancem... ipsnews_item.gifIP.Content 2.3 Dev Update: Navigation Bar

Posted

IPB is becoming less and less social media friendly. :(

Posted

[quote name='Gerry 5039' timestamp='1328577277' post='2228848']
Totally agree with you Sonya, I bought my Gallery software as well, and I pay for to keep the support going, now I no longer own it. It is causing my board real problems, and we are not recieving any written updates, however, written updates are shown for IP Board, IP Content and others but no mention of the Gallery at all since the last disaster.

IP.Gallery was the last application to receive a major update - right now we are working through updates for IP.Board and IP.Content. Once these are out, we will evaluate the needs of all our products and move forward based on which product(s) require the most attention.

[quote name='jackflash' timestamp='1328582466' post='2228858']
IPB is becoming less and less social media friendly. :sad:

That is not true. In fact, our latest blog entry is about a new social media feature in IP.Board 3.3.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1328625790' post='2229003']
IP.Gallery was the last application to receive a major update - right now we are working through updates for IP.Board and IP.Content. Once these are out, we will evaluate the needs of all our products and move forward based on which product(s) require the most attention.

Thank you for your answer Brandon, however sir I beg to differ that the Gallery got a major update, it got a major disaster I am sorry to say, Mine comes up for renewal in March and I will not be renewing until I see what comes in the Gallery, It is the only item that is ruining such a good suite.

I even put in a ticket 2 days ago to fix something in it, and it still has not been looked at.

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1328625790' post='2229003']

I don't believe that the gallery is as functional as it should be. Many elements are missing.

That is not true. In fact, our latest blog entry is about a new social media feature in IP.Board 3.3.

I read that in today's release and it's certainly good to see. I like to be proven wrong and will gladly eat crow when it's served up.

Posted

[quote name='Gerry 5039' timestamp='1328629118' post='2229019']
I even put in a ticket 2 days ago to fix something in it, and it still has not been looked at.

Do you have a ticket ID I can reference to see why this has not been responded to? The only recent ticket I see on your account was posted just over 24 hours ago and received a response within 10 hours of being submitted.

Posted

[quote name='AndyMillne' timestamp='1328643540' post='2229098']
Do you have a ticket ID I can reference to see why this has not been responded to? The only recent ticket I see on your account was posted just over 24 hours ago and received a response within 10 hours of being submitted.

Request ID

And I can assure you it was more than 24 hours ago and it has still not been looked at, there certainly has been no response at any time never mind 10 hours ago.

Posted

I had to go into the client area to see if there was a reply and there was, what has happened to the email that tells us it has been looked at and you are waiting for a response. Anyway I have responded.

UPDATE 22:30hrs GMT

Ryan fixed it for me just now, brilliant job thank you very much, very much appreciated.

Posted

That may well be the case but what we were given with Gallery 4 was a half finished work in progress application. All we're asking for is the gallery to be finished i.e. actually be functional. For me getting a gallery that can be navigated easily and album and image moderation that works in a logical manner is a lot more important than the new Facebook / Twitter integration.

Good to see some of Gerry's problems being addressed.

Nigel / 3DKiwi

IP.Gallery was the last application to receive a major update

Posted

I agree with you all. Gallery was upgraded but it has many items that were strip from the core part of the system that the previous version had and was function fine before the major rewrite of the system. Many items to manage image and picture that were great tools have not even been put back and have been lacking going on a year in a few months when it was FIRST release (of current major version). So when my renew came up I let it drop as it was not worth paying month for something that still waiting to be look at because of facebook and social networking choose to be improve
What is the real state of IPS with IP.Gallery? Give us more details to anything then just darkness answers all the time. Read all the other forums IP.Gallery is the most request one asking for help compare to others.

Gerry 5039 and jackflash like this

Posted

I will be doing the same, I will be voting with my wallet also. I cannot believe it that it is out a year, with one major update, which made it worse in October and since then nothing. And then the other day I was told that the Gallery will be the last one worked on because it was upgraded last year. So we may have to wait maybe six months before we see an update to fix the Gallery so that it is workable.

At one time I was so proud to use the Invision software, it was brilliant, now I might as well open a Facebook page and put it all on there, and lock it down. I have however noticed that the Gallery forums are the least answered by the IPS staff, yet it has the most complaints on these forums. I am not knocking IPS and I try my best to keep my posts as constructive as possible, but surely this must work both ways.

I know IPS says they listen to their customers, and sometimes they do, but not where the Gallery is concerned, it must be a no go area. My main question is why would you have a perfect product, then ruin it by producing a Gallery that is unworkable, and then ignore customers when they make you aware there is a problem. I seem to remember another company that did that last year, and the exodus they suffered as a result.

I hope you will take this as constructive critisism as it is meant to be, but I am sorry the Gallery is a very sore open wound to me.

jackflash likes this

Posted

I agree that the gallery was more functional many versions ago. It's simply a non-finished version now. And I think you made a good point here Gerry of the upgrade time frame as I've had to deal with gallery issues for a long time now.

And then we have the emoticon management issue, hiding poster's info. in forum view, etc. . .grrrrrr.

After purchasing 50+ licenses, we're transforming some sites off of IPS actually beginning this Friday. :(

IPS still has the best customer service and tech support though - gotta give their team that! :)

Posted

[quote name='Gerry 5039' timestamp='1328804962' post='2229714']
And then the other day I was told that the Gallery will be the last one worked on because it was upgraded last year. So we may have to wait maybe six months before we see an update to fix the Gallery so that it is workable.

I am unsure who told you this but they were mistaken (and if you were referring to my post, I never said it would be the last one worked on, just to clarify). Gallery is on our radar. We simply do not have any information we can release publicly right now. It will not be the last app we work on, however there is also no public timeframe as to when you can expect to see the next version I'm afraid.

jackflash likes this

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1328813044' post='2229747']
I am unsure who told you this but they were mistaken (and if you were referring to my post, I never said it would be the last one worked on, just to clarify). Gallery is on our radar. We simply do not have any information we can release publicly right now. It will not be the last app we work on, however there is also no public timeframe as to when you can expect to see the next version I'm afraid.

But wouldn’t you say that Gallery would have to be pretty close to your “radar” with all the issues with the gallery and the feedback in the that forums? I mean it would be nice what ideas IPS is considering to add to the next release and not just keep the whole in the dark.

Posted

Right now we are focusing on releasing IP.Board and IP.Content. After those are released, more information about our upcoming plans will become available. I'm afraid that is all I can say. :hmm:

Posted

Brandon - that's a lot better than nothing, thank you. Not going for sarcasm or trying to be a jerk, just appreciating any sort of timeline, as wonky as it may be.

I am not nearly as frustrated as Gerry (not a poke at you Gerry, you have a damn valid reason to be pissed off) mostly because the site I have in development is not live and I don't absolutely have to finish it off right away. However, not having a red cent of a clue as to ifwhen something might change is throwing a wrench into my own schedules.

I'll give you an example or two.

Part of getting data for the site involves me politely asking for the right to post certain types of content on it, basically requesting a license to re-distribute original material. That material squarely involves the Gallery, as it's mostly photography. In order to get the licensing I need, I sometimes need to make deals, such as featuring a given brand's image on the front page of the Gallery for a certain amount of time. Currently, I don't have control over what's featured, and thus I can't even offer it.

Sonya mentioned premoderation being bypassed when a user gets the option to move their images upon album deletion. That (if correct, I haven't ran it myself yet) is no-go #2 for me. I cannot have users uploading into global albums by any means, as that's another area where I have to barter with given brandspeopleorganizations. Some brands refuse to have their imageadvertsing mixed with someone else's, and I cannot risk a relationship by having a user side step something I set and do a bit of mix and match.

For someone running a site where user submitted content is king, everything is fine and dandy. So are Facebook and Picasa in that particular case. For those of us who either have to deal with licensing issues or, like Gerry, have to have approval from powers that be in regard to composition of the site, Gallery feels rather skeletal in admin functions department.

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, but for me the IPS platform is rather lovely and I like using it. I'd like for Gallery to catch up with the rest of the team, but I also wonder if I'm going to be here to see that. As much as my loyalty and likes play into it, I also have to get my site live, preferably this century. Not knowing whether issues that are most important to me are even going to be up for consideration sometime this year is putting a real damper on Gallery being a useful app within my site.

Gerry 5039 and CallieJo like this

Posted

[quote name='bfarber' timestamp='1328813044' post='2229747']

I'm not too concerned with a release date, because giving one will pin a company down - I get that. I would at least like to learn what changes will be made get some faith back into the gallery. I'm not into third party add ons (if they even exist) and want to use IPS products 100%.

Posted

We will announce what you can expect to see changed in the next release as we always do - through our blog. :)

Posted

Hi ..
I am afraid reading thie entire all post ..
i discover on my side after just bought gallery ...
It seems impossible to create an album in which all users or group member can post in it ???

Posted

Yes. You just have to assign them the permission when you create that album.

Posted

[quote name='Selor' timestamp='1347461718' post='2307899']
Hi ..
I am afraid reading thie entire all post ..
i discover on my side after just bought gallery ...
It seems impossible to create an album in which all users or group member can post in it ???

You simply create a category instead. Anyone (with permission) can submit to a category.