52 replies to this topic

#21 Traaginen

Traaginen

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a fan of the RTE when it works(ed).

Sorry to say it, but I'm going to pile on with this RTE hate. The current version is just horribly, horribly buggy. I would submit bug reports to the tracker... but honestly, there are just so many things wrong with it right now it doesn't seem worth the time. The [list] is broken and wraps itself around unrelated text, removes [*] randomly, and it's absolutely impossible to align/justify anything if it has text above and/or below it. Etc, etc.
  • thaivisa and Kirito like this

#22 The_Welsh_One

The_Welsh_One

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 859 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a fan of the RTE when it works(ed).

Sorry to say it, but I'm going to pile on with this RTE hate. The current version is just horribly, horribly buggy. I would submit bug reports to the tracker... but honestly, there are just so many things wrong with it right now it doesn't seem worth the time. The [list] is broken and wraps itself around unrelated text, removes [*] randomly, and it's absolutely impossible to align/justify anything if it has text above and/or below it. Etc, etc.

3.3.2 update has fixed the problems.

#23 Gdly

Gdly

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:33 PM

Because the upshot of this issue is, a good deal of people won't be as technologically savvy as those who've posted here. They'll copy and paste something, it'll either post as a mess, or it'll look a mess in preview, the user doesn't really know how to or can't be bothered to make all the amendments, and decides not to bother posting or worse.

Agreed

#24 Gdly

Gdly

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

Found the solution..

add

config.forcePasteAsPlainText = true;

to /public/js/3rd_party/ckeditor/ips_config.js

No more issues with messy copypasting
  • sijad, Kirito and Rimi like this

#25 XTF

XTF

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

Could that be set by default? I don't want to have to set it after every IPB update.

#26 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

I've spent a few weeks rebuilding our CKEditor implementation for 3.4. I've rewritten large parts of our integration and I'm much happier with its implementation now.

I've rewritten the HTML > BBCODE conversion as a javascript plugin for CKEditor which reduces the complexity and number of 'moving parts'.

I'm confident that this will resolve most issues we currently have with it.
  • AndyF, Maxxius, sijad and 4 others like this

Matt Mecham
Invision Power Services, Inc.
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

#27 XTF

XTF

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

Great, now what about a way to disable it?
  • sijad likes this

#28 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

Why would you want to disable it?

Matt Mecham
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."

#29 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

Great, now what about a way to disable it?

Your resilience is remarkable.
  • Kirito likes this

#30 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

...resilience is futile.
  • AndyF likes this

Matt Mecham

#31 PSNation

PSNation

The Boss

• +Clients
  • 668 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Found the solution..

add

config.forcePasteAsPlainText = true;

to /public/js/3rd_party/ckeditor/ips_config.js

No more issues with messy copypasting

Excellent. Thanks for that :)

Posted Image

#32 XTF

XTF

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Why would you want to disable it?

For eaxmple, I don't want Paste to include style, I want it to paste as plain text. Is that possible yet without editing source files?

#33 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

Yes

Posted Image

Matt Mecham

#34 XTF

XTF

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Argh, that's not what I'm looking for. I want it to be disabled by default, for all users.

#35 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,586 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

The standard functionality of any RTE on the internet is that when you paste styled text into it, the styling is retained. It wouldn't be much of an RTE if it didn't do that. That is why they have special paste buttons. Even gmail behaves the same if I paste styled text into it.

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

#36 insectdude

insectdude

IPB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

I've rewritten the HTML > BBCODE conversion as a javascript plugin for CKEditor which reduces the complexity and number of 'moving parts'.

I thought the rewrite was going to remove the Javascript conversion between HTML and BBCode entirely, handling everything within the editor as BBCode? This does not fill me with confidence that the problems will be resolved.

A year on, I still wish we could just have the 3.1 standard editor back as an option.

EDIT: lol, just in writing this post I've discovered another editor bug. Try writing "Javascript" then editing the post. The result is what you see above.

#37 Sefket

Sefket

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 943 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Edit: Lol, it does ruin the post, insectdude.

I convert, install IPB Boards, and more! Check my shop here.
Three important things for your website

#38 iAdi

iAdi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

For the next version, could you please add the option of making a table? (Like tables in Office Word, etc.)

#39 msg

msg

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

I've spent a few weeks rebuilding our CKEditor implementation for 3.4. I've rewritten large parts of our integration and I'm much happier with its implementation now.

I'm confident that this will resolve most issues we currently have with it.

Still being a junior user of IPS product, i might be off topic here, but i would like to say ....if we could use the HTML code from Adobe Dreamweaver by simply copy/paste or use the full features of CKEditor to build page content for IP content that would be just perfect. I saw few nice things relate to HTML5 that would be nice to reproduce using BBcode or full support of HTML5

I'm not a super HTML code developer, but i can find my way around using WWW3 school tips and tricks, but it seem that most of the time I need to tweak the code. Matt hope that that new HTML > BBCODE conversion will help us use the full spectrum of HTML If you have a chance please give us a demo....

#40 XTF

XTF

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:58 AM

The standard functionality of any RTE on the internet is that when you paste styled text into it, the styling is retained. It wouldn't be much of an RTE if it didn't do that. That is why they have special paste buttons. Even gmail behaves the same if I paste styled text into it.

Gmail also *does* provide a plain text editor, I've got no experience with the RTE editor. Having a Paste Without Style button is nice, but I only use buttons on my keyboard. And most of the time I don't want to paste style anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users