Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Newbie to the forum world.

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey Everyone,

I'm really new to forums and I am actually really interested in Facebook. But to put it into a nutshell, I'm interested in starting a community about sports and athletic development. Forums seem very appealing to me because of the social networking gist of it. But in general, what forum software is out there and how can it benefit me as a website owner?

Appreciate any feedback possible,

Thanks!
Eric

Posted

If you love Facebook then IP.Board is for you. The forum software lets users sign in with their Facebook accounts. There is also a new feature which allows the user to auto-share their forum posts to Facebook/Twitter, for more info on that click here. Just like Facebook, you can add friends, post status updates, like users posts, subscribe to your favourite user, and follow content, message users. No matter where you're browsing on the forum the notifications drop down bar is on the top just like Facebook(with friend request, private message, and so much more!). For forum software IP.Board is one of the best if not the best forum software to date. As a website administrator you have complete control of your users which is something you don't have with Facebook. You can suspend, ban, delete, remove post/message, put users into groups, the list is endless.

If you've never used a forum before I suggest trying out the demo forum : http://www.invisionpower.com/suite/demo.php

Posted

That was great advice! Thank you. I've actually been doing further research, and I do feel that forum software is the better way to go because of the control you have over your users. I have been testing out demos and checking script on my server to see which would work best, and I've basically narrowed them down to the following forum software:

IPB, Xenforo, SMF, and vBulletin. Do you have any information that you can share on any of the others? Just would like an opinion as far as which software would be most user friendly on the back end as well as the front end of it?

The demos I've tried so far are for IPB and vBulletin, it seems that in the end it'll come down to these two, I like how clean the front end looks. But I'd like more of an expert opinion to help me finally decide. :)

Thanks
Eric

Posted

The truth is, our site will be biased towards IP.Board because virtually everyone here is a client or user of IP.Board. If you would like an objective opinion, your best option is to pose the same question on a neutral third party site such as theadminzone.com, however if you truly want our opinion....IP.Board is your best bet. :D

.Brian, Andrej and Misi like this

Posted

Been using it for seven years after trying V for a few months. Support is outstanding.