• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 hurricaine

hurricaine

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

I don't know if this has been addressed but why is it that administrator's posted messages are able to be reported? I've never brought this up before but I've also discovered that there's no way to turn this feature off for the admin or root admin. Has this issue been fixed? I just find it odd since the admin is the highest on the food chain in regards to the IPB forum software.

The Anti-Spam Guide to IPS. This is an updated guide designed to help fight against spammers. While there is no fool-proof method, all you can do is put up roadblocks to slow them down.

Group Badges, Display Name Customization. This is a guide that helps customize forum display names on your message forums.

#2 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

Hello.

Just because you're an admin does not mean you are above your own rules. It's a good philosophy to keep yourself in check and prevent you from destroying your own community.
  • IPS_Fan, Feld0, MarcusH and 1 other like this

#3 AndyF

AndyF

iQA4u

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,469 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

Would be possible to hide it with a conditional if the post was made by an admin / global mod I expect without too much trouble. :) , maybe something more for a third party article though, I'll add it to my list of articles to write anyway.
  • Zizzla_JA likes this

#4 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,617 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

Posts could be reported for a variety of reasons. Perhaps you made a typo?

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#5 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Find
<li class='report'>
	   <a href='{parse url="app=core&amp;module=reports&amp;rcom=post&amp;tid={$this->request['t']}&amp;pid={$post['post']['pid']}&amp;st={$this->request['st']}" base="public"}'>{$this->lang->words['report']}</a>
	  </li>

Replace with

<if test!="$post['author']['g_access_cp']">
<li class='report'>
	   <a href='{parse url="app=core&amp;module=reports&amp;rcom=post&amp;tid={$this->request['t']}&amp;pid={$post['post']['pid']}&amp;st={$this->request['st']}" base="public"}'>{$this->lang->words['report']}</a>
	  </li>
</if>

Might work.

Could integrate it into the existing conditional, but I don't want to think that much.

#6 hurricaine

hurricaine

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Rimi, root admins should not be subject to having their posts reported. Root administrators own the forum and the site. I know that if someone had ever reported one of my posts, instead of sending a personal message, that that member probably wouldn't be a member any further.

Just as the warning strike system can be turned off per usergroup so should the "reporting system". If the owner of a site wants to preclude a usergroup from having their posts reported then that should be an option. I'm just confused as to why a root admin's posts are reportable.

The Anti-Spam Guide to IPS. This is an updated guide designed to help fight against spammers. While there is no fool-proof method, all you can do is put up roadblocks to slow them down.

Group Badges, Display Name Customization. This is a guide that helps customize forum display names on your message forums.

#7 Jυra

Jυra

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

There's no additional risk or trouble from having content of an admin reported.

I think an admins post should allow reporting just as I think members should be able to block their signatures.
"If you want to make enemies, try to change something." - Woodrow Wilson
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." - Orlando A. Battista
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

#8 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Watch how I soar.

• +Clients
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

If I were a member of your forum, I think I'd be happy to have my account deleted.
  • Matt, YoungL, Connor T and 3 others like this

Ryan Hoerr / "No1 1000"

IP.Board 3.4 Resources bullet_star.pngbullet_star.pngbullet_star.pngbullet_star.pngbullet_star.png

App Advanced Tags & Prefixes

App Easy Pages

Skin Graphite

Skin Thoreau

#9 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Rimi, root admins should not be subject to having their posts reported. Root administrators own the forum and the site. I know that if someone had ever reported one of my posts, instead of sending a personal message, that that member probably wouldn't be a member any further.

Just as the warning strike system can be turned off per usergroup so should the "reporting system". If the owner of a site wants to preclude a usergroup from having their posts reported then that should be an option. I'm just confused as to why a root admin's posts are reportable.

Hello.

Can I see your forum? I'm interested in seeing it.

#10 Cyrem

Cyrem

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

As bfarber said, post reporting is not for just rule breaking. There could be problems with your post, such as broken links... mistakes etc. Reporting allows this to be addressed just like one would report a file in the Downloads Center as 'broken'.

kenichi tanaka, you're going to ban a member if they report one of your posts?? That is WAY WAY WAY over the top.

#11 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

As bfarber said, post reporting is not for just rule breaking. There could be problems with your post, such as broken links... mistakes etc. Reporting allows this to be addressed just like one would report a file in the Downloads Center as 'broken'.

kenichi tanaka, you're going to ban a member if they report one of your posts?? That is WAY WAY WAY over the top.

In the report form it says not to use the report manager to contact moderators though.

#12 Breadfan

Breadfan

The gentle way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

I agree with Kenichi. We admin gods are not to be reported. If a member reported one of my admin posts..I'd unleash a fury of angry smilies upon him and slap him a 4567544678 years ban. Additionally, we would find out where the member lives and send him a man with a hockey mask and a chainsaw to tear down his doors and leave a dead cat hanging on one of the light bulbs (we would stick our board logo on the cat to avoid any confusion).

If we feel like it, we would call him late at night and just breath on the phone, moaning untill he goes crazy.

Other then that, we're a nice little community always welcoming new members for chat and socializing, meeting new people etc.
  • Misi and Cyrem like this

#13 Cyrem

Cyrem

Spam Happy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

I agree with Kenichi. We admin gods are not to be reported. If a member reported one of my admin posts..I'd unleash a fury of angry smilies upon him and slap him a 4567544678 years ban. Additionally, we would find out where the member lives and send him a man with a hockey mask and a chainsaw to tear down his doors and leave a dead cat hanging on one of the light bulbs (we would stick our board logo on the cat to avoid any confusion).

If we feel like it, we would call him late at night and just breath on the phone, moaning untill he goes crazy.

Other then that, we're a nice little community always welcoming new members for chat and socializing, meeting new people etc.

:tongue:

Posted Image

Well done sir.

#14 Matt

Matt

Chief Software Architect

• IPS Management
  • 26,142 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

If I made a mistake in my post - perhaps I misread a question and gave a bad reply, I'd love for someone to report it so I knew about it. It's quicker than writing a PM, that's for sure.
  • Martin A. and Feld0 like this

Matt Mecham
Invision Power Services, Inc.
"I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."
-- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

#15 Rimi

Rimi

Strip Me

• +Clients
  • 6,121 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

Maybe this should be removed from the report form.

This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectionable content and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons.

#16 Jυra

Jυra

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

I agree with Rimi's reply above. ^
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it." - Orlando A. Battista
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

#17 Arun Kumar

Arun Kumar

IPB Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Maybe this should be removed from the report form.

I wish to edit that text in my forum. Can anyone tell me where do I edit that text?

#18 Jυra

Jυra

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Would be awesome to know. ^

#19 hurricaine

hurricaine

Not Applicable

• +Clients
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'm still hoping that this will be corrected in a patch because I don't think the root admin of a forum should have their posts "reported". It kind of defeats the purpose unless it's a troll trying to harass the root admin of a forum site.

#20 Misi

Misi

Spam is good!

• +Clients
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

I'm still hoping that this will be corrected in a patch because I don't think the root admin of a forum should have their posts "reported".

I hope not.
Sorry,kenichi tanaka.
This signature is not a signature!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users