• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rugger

Rugger

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:41 AM

Unless I'm being an idiot and can't find it, what would be really useful is during the block creation process, one of the steps is a permissions step, which you would have a multi select of member groups that would be allowed to view this block. If not allowed to view it, then the block would be hidden.
  • civ, Jinkler, Claudia999 and 5 others like this

#2 Olsberg

Olsberg

IPB Newbie

• +Clients
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

And unless this is already implemented in the recent IP.Content update, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Blocks with permission settings opens up for more customized messages depending on the member level. For example, one could benefit from having a block presenting the site for guest, and promoting a paid membership for free member accounts, and for the paid membership displaying shortcuts to all their benefits.

Yep, this would be a great addition to the Blocks. Thanks.
  • Rugger likes this
Site admin / Studio forum (forum.studio.se)

#3 kotaco

kotaco

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:40 AM

There has to be a script to do this, but I agree it should be standard.

#4 civ

civ

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

What a great idea - please implement this in the next version!

#5 ᴡᴅツ

ᴡᴅツ

⊙﹏⊙

• +Clients
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:57 PM

As of now, you can use if then statements.

Feature consistency across IP.Downloads and IP.Board for IP.Content

IPS, please look at the topics I've created regarding feature suggestions. There still are issues that haven't been addressed, as noted above, and the following, as well as this.

#6 Rugger

Rugger

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 456 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

Would it be possible to get some acknowledgement or feedback from the IPS Management, as to whether this is a feasible idea for the future???

#7 ᴡᴅツ

ᴡᴅツ

⊙﹏⊙

• +Clients
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

If they implement this, they will need a way to restrict access to caches. Keep in mind you should only cache blocks that don't use html logic or else the info might be displayed. For example, if MEMBER and PURCHASER OF PRODUCT 1 is allowed to see 'content' else display 'content 2'. You can't cache a block like that.

The only benefit this would give is if you want to cache a static block that is only served to certain member groups and ONLY accessible to those certain member groups. Not that that benefit is bad, I think it's a reasonable benefit considering performance improvements. If you are serving a cached block only to members in GROUP X and this will be served to 1,000 members, it makes sense to cache it and not use an uncached block with html logic.

Feature consistency across IP.Downloads and IP.Board for IP.Content

IPS, please look at the topics I've created regarding feature suggestions. There still are issues that haven't been addressed, as noted above, and the following, as well as this.

#8 bfarber

bfarber

RBT-KS

• IPS Management
  • 28,669 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

Would it be possible to get some acknowledgement or feedback from the IPS Management, as to whether this is a feasible idea for the future???

It's a feasible idea in the future, sure. I'm not sure what benefit it is to state so, however. :) I can't say when or if this will be included, but I read the suggestion when it was submitted originally.
  • ADKGamers likes this

Brandon Farber
Development Manager / Senior Support

If it sounds like fun, it's not allowed on the bus!

php5_zce_logo_new.gif     

Invision Power Services, Inc.

#9 RafaelT

RafaelT

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

This is really a needed feature.

#10 GreenLinks

GreenLinks

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 831 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Not sure if this is a good idea. This can add tons of additional load issues specifically on very busy boards.

Mert Gokceimam
CTO / Greenlinks Bv
http://www.420network.com

#11 Andrew Tsai

Andrew Tsai

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

I was attempting to have an AdSense banner inside a custom IP Content block only show up to users who weren't logged in, and I ended up using this:

<if test="memberbox:|:$this->memberData['member_id']"><else />
<script type="text/javascript"><!--
google_ad_client = "";
/* IP Board square medium */
google_ad_slot = ""
google_ad_width = 300;
google_ad_height = 250;
//-->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">
</script>