Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Three important things for your website

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Some good points there and basically you're saying how important first impressions are :)

We actually have one client site I can think of where "Atmosphere" is such a problem even I dislike visiting there to simply answer support questions for the client.

Posted

It's that bad? Wow lol.

Posted

I've done tech support for a community like the one that Charles mentioned. You know you've got massive issues with atmosphere on your forum when your tech support folks don't moan about technical issues, but rather speak about having pity for all those innocent bystanders who stumble upon the mess you created.

Posted

Thanks sefket totally agree with all the 3 point mentioned

Posted

I completely agree with this. Proper spelling and grammar can have a huge influence for me. Someone who actually takes the time to check and correct what they write out gives a much better impression than someone who could seemingly care less about how they present themselves. When you're speaking on behalf of a company, this is especially true.

Another excellent point. I'd also like to state that this point is especially true for staff members. I've been to countless forums where the moderators and admins are also abusive.

Even if it's towards a member that's trolling or just being a jerk overall, when a staff member stoops to their level by using profane language and trying to spit on them as a response to their threat, this will really drive people away from your site and give it a terrible reputation in the process. You should ensure this never becomes a problem on your boards. Only hire moderators you are certain are mature and educated enough to know how to handle trolls and properly moderate your community. More so be sure you know how to properly respond to these situations.

Bad:
Admin: STFU! No one here cares what you think, you're just a now life troll that'll never amount to anything! Enjoy your ban, noob!

In more severe cases like this, I usually delete the offending post and send a professional warning to the user in private. Depending how severe the offending post was, I may temporarily (or permanently) enforce moderation on all the users future posts. If they continue trying to troll the board, simply ban the user. That simple.

This is one aspect I generally obsess over. Browsing through hundreds of templates just to find the one I want.

If you can afford it, there are some amazing premium templates available in the market place, as well as some great free ones. Of course, I'm not saying the IPBoard template is bad :tongue:

It's well worth making the investment for a template that looks great and will fit the theme of your site. Don't be afraid to hire someone to create a logo for you as well, if you lack the creative ability to make one yourself (like I most definitely do). Even possibly host a competition on your site to see who can make the best logo.

Grammar - Being professional, using grammar, and punctuation is something that is needed. If you were on a company forum and saw staff writing like "lol, yeah I kno right" that will instantly make me not bother posting on the website or even browse their webste.The members look up to you and then they wish to be a staff member which leads to better members.

Atmosphere - Always try your best to have a great atmosphere. If you have trolling, offensive language or spam going on your boards, it pulls many guests away from your forums.

User: LOL you guys suck OMG you're all a bunch of stoopid n00bs gtfo and get a life!

Appearance - This is another major one for your forums. You want to give your users first impression. Many people will x out of your website if they aren't liking your websites appearance. It's like going to your first interview or going out on a date, they will reject you. You want a skin that is clean, professional, and clear.

Posted

My top three items are the following and I was expecting to see them listed when i saw the thread title. lol

1. Content
2. Content
3. Content

:)

Give your users something to read, give them a reason to come back, give them something to learn... "Content" does this and is the key to any good site, and also the #1 thing that will bring you traffic... CONTENT is KING! :)

Posted

[quote name='Rhett' timestamp='1331011276' post='2238004']
My top three items are the following and I was expecting to see them listed when i saw the thread title. lol

1. Content
2. Content
3. Content

:)

Give your users something to read, give them a reason to come back, give them something to learn... "Content" does this and is the key to any good site, and also the #1 thing that will bring you traffic... CONTENT is KING! :)

While yes, it's (mainly) about content, there are aspects of content that definitely are important as well, and they've already been mentioned. Atmosphere is probably one of the most important things around this.

Kirito likes this

Posted

I suppose it is a bit different for those of us that run sites like mine. Our content is good, and does certainly play a role in our atmosphere, but our members interactions both on and off our site (including 15-man IM convos) help to keep the atmosphere the way it is.

Kirito and TaffyCaffy like this

Posted

1. Content
2. Content
3. Content

:smile:

Content?,

I have been to forums that exaclty suit my needs, but the forum software is awful (vbulletin 3.6 or 3.7 or whatever the hell)...

Why do the admins use vbulletin?, and if using it atleaste upgrade to 4.x, but these forums with 3.x are just awful, the content is great but its just so ugly..... it always drives me away,

and whats the point of reading something that you dont enjoy the layout,etc

vb sux @$$
vb 3.x is just.....

RazorSEdge likes this

Posted

Hmm,
and what about when you use support some of their responses are so arrogant, you think they could use a basic course in communication? Does that count for content?

Rick

Posted

You also forgot to mention a good reliable host, it's really frustrating using a forum that has 80% uptime rest was all internal server errors or down time. Whenever you post you are forced to copy paste your message onto notepad just in case it times out when trying to submit the message...

Feld0 and TaffyCaffy like this

Posted

[quote name='Moeru Wa' timestamp='1331476364' post='2239666']
You also forgot to mention a good reliable host, it's really frustrating using a forum that has 80% uptime rest was all internal server errors or down time. Whenever you post you are forced to copy paste your message onto notepad just in case it times out when trying to submit the message...

I agree with this.

Posted

[quote name='Moeru Wa' timestamp='1331476364' post='2239666']

True, but when you're looking for a host, there is many factors in it depending on what type of board you have, what add-ons you use, etc.

Posted

1. Content
2. Content
3. Content

:smile:

Give your users something to read, give them a reason to come back, give them something to learn... "Content" does this and is the key to any good site, and also the #1 thing that will bring you traffic... CONTENT is KING! :smile:

Posted

[quote name='Charles' timestamp='1330634407' post='2236584']
Some good points there and basically you're saying how important first impressions are :smile:

We actually have one client site I can think of where "Atmosphere" is such a problem even I dislike visiting there to simply answer support questions for the client.

din't I alredy aplogiz fur thet?

Posted

[quote name='Dmacleo' timestamp='1342552305' post='2287996']
din't I alredy aplogiz fur thet?

Posted

[quote name='Sefket' timestamp='1330633613' post='2236579']
Atmosphere - Always try your best to have a great atmosphere. If you have trolling, offensive language or spam going on your boards, it pulls many guests away from your forums.

Appearance - This is another major one for your forums. You want to give your users first impression. Many people will x out of your website if they aren't liking your websites appearance. It's like going to your first interview or going out on a date, they will reject you. You want a skin that is clean, professional, and clear.

While I agree with your points it always amazes me how great Atmosphere and Appearance are defined so differently among website owners/users. I have reviewed sites which I thought were awesome in your A&A categories yet they did not appeal to the masses. For illustration purposes would you mind providing a couple of examples(links) that you feel fulfill your criteria ? Thanks.

Posted

1. Social (multi-lang forums, according to actual environnmental stuff, to share this with all)

2. Responsive ui (figurated interfaced for scope)

3. Content (interactive content with a category to category and topic to topic)

That are my 3 basement point requirred to developer planners community  but before is requirred firsties great staff!! 

Posted

Remember to put members of your community in their place. You don't have to be rude about it... but letting everyone know where they stand is an excellent way of keeping balance.

Posted

1. Good, clear and meaningful images.
2. User friendliness is absolutely required.
3. Should be SEO friendly.

Boost Samurai likes this

Posted

I wouldn't say 1st and 3rd but the 2nd one definitely puts me off. It just shows the administration doesn't care about the place and would let anything be there.

The appearance doesn't matter that much as long as its not something that hurts your eyes. I think content is more important, i am a regular on a site that hasn't changed its theme for a decade and its an ugly grayish color but there is new interesting posts everyday so that keeps me there.

Da first one iz just bout bein lazy nd a 12 year old...i don't know how i feel about this i don't care i think

Posted

Grammar - Being professional, using grammar, and punctuation is something that is needed. If you were on a company forum and saw staff writing like "lol, yeah I kno right" that will instantly make me not bother posting on the website or even browse their webste.The members look up to you and then they wish to be a staff member which leads to better members.

While I do agree with what you say, I also partly disagree.

Reason being, I think its dependent on the type of site you are running.
I used to run a HipHop site, and swearing was a very active way for my members to communicate and post content.
I myself swore as an Admin but it wasn't to tell a member to "STFU", it was more based on the content put across.

Now, I run a paintball site, my members swear but nowhere near to the extent of my HipHop site.

A lot of these types of members are the "banter" type and are used to dishing out comments etc that contain swearing.

This isn't just via the internet, these guys are the same face to face.

I do understand what you mean though. When you ask a member of staff a question you expect a professional response.

Ive come across this many times. Ive asked an Admin a question that would eventually be asked by another member and all I got was 1 word answers.

This alone didn't make me feel as if I was welcome and they just wanted me to go away

Now I also think personal style should also be there along with professional.

I think if an admin is asked a question completely natural i.e "xbox360 or PS3" I feel they should be able to say something like

"-------- all the way, I had a -------- and it was a load of crap"

But if it was a question like "how do I upload images?"
I feel that's a time for the admin to be professional

Posted

All I can say is that I totaly agree with these three things. Thanks)