• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 sallam

sallam

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 852 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

The trick would be to guide them through registration, after they submit their post. If they do not complete registration, then their posts are removed from the database. But as they have already posted, they are very likely to complete registration. IPB has an instant username check function, so there would not be any duplicate user names.
Anyway, I probably should not have mentioned the idea, as its getting too far off topic. Once I have access to the suggestion forums, I can post a write up there and see what people think of it. Or just have the functionality coded for me.

Alfa1, I find your idea very interesting. Do you actually apply it in your forum? or is it just a suggestion that still needs a modification?
If you do use it, please let us know how to apply it. For example, how do you direct the guest, after posting, to the page telling them to reigister for their post to show up? and how do you make their post deleted if they didn't register? and how do you make the post visible once they register?
  • deriethissure likes this

#22 Alfa1

Alfa1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

Currently I am not using it, but I expect to have it active on my big board in June. But not on IPB yet.

#23 cmiller

cmiller

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:52 AM

Is there anything keeping this from working in 3.2.2? We are setting custom error messages per forum, but only get the default: "[#10340] You do not have permission to view this topic."

Any thoughts?
My simple wish list to make IPB the ULTIMATE community software and more profitable for site owners.
  • UNIVERSAL GLOBAL SIDEBARS ON ALL PAGES
  • THE ABILITY TO USE AFFILIATE MARKETING LINKS IN IP.NEXUS
  • MAKE IP.CONTENT USEABLE FOR THE LAYPERSON. CONTENT IS KING!
  • ADD AN EASY TO USE CLOUD BASED BACKUP OPTION. (SEE BACKUP BUDDY FOR WORDPRESS)
  • IMPROVE UPON THE BANNER MANAGEMENT WITHIN IP.NEXUS. (MORE LOCATIONS, MORE FLEXIBILITY)
  • ADD AN EMAIL NEWSLETTER FEATURE (AUTO SEND, NEW POSTS, W/OPTIONS - KEEPS 'EM COMING BACK!)
Help me make money with your software, and i'll buy more licenses. Period! $$$

#24 cmiller

cmiller

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 384 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

For the record....

If you choose to show the topic list as "teasers" and for SEO purposes, your custom forum message does NOT show up when users click on the topic titles. Just the ugly default error that would run anyone off.

I don't recommend trying this until IPS gives us a real option.
My simple wish list to make IPB the ULTIMATE community software and more profitable for site owners.
  • ADD AN EASY TO USE CLOUD BASED BACKUP OPTION. (SEE BACKUP BUDDY FOR WORDPRESS)
  • IMPROVE UPON THE BANNER MANAGEMENT WITHIN IP.NEXUS. (MORE LOCATIONS, MORE FLEXIBILITY)
  • ADD AN EMAIL NEWSLETTER FEATURE (AUTO SEND, NEW POSTS, W/OPTIONS - KEEPS 'EM COMING BACK!)

#25 Cyrem

Cyrem

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 994 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

For the record....

If you choose to show the topic list as "teasers" and for SEO purposes, your custom forum message does NOT show up when users click on the topic titles. Just the ugly default error that would run anyone off.

I don't recommend trying this until IPS gives us a real option.

Wait what? It's working fine on my forums. It even works on old 3.1.4.

#26 JahLion

JahLion

Who Jah Bless No Man Curse

• Visitors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

You dont need to redirect people to the sign up page, the link is right there in the denial page. you just have to point it out... One thing i do wish though is that i could reword that ERROR thing.. to something like Ooppps Sorry, its less direct and doesn't make it sound like the board doesn't work properly..

You can do that in the "Manage Languages" i've done mine since last year..below is what i change mine too

Error Message!
If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message,Please try again or contact an administrator.

[#10146] Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature.If you are not logged in you may do so using the form below if available.

#27 cmiller

cmiller

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Wait what? It's working fine on my forums. It even works on old 3.1.4.

I am on 3.2.2 with 3 boards and it does not work on any of them. Here is the response from support:

Hello,

I think.. Either I put this in a bug report at some point, or had a user write up a feedback topic on this fairly recently.

I just did a test on 3.3.0, and it does work there.. So, my guess is either that it was considered a bug in that, or changed to work.. I remember having to look this up at some point in time. Maybe it was that if the user couldn't view the topic list, the permission denied message didn't show? I don't know, I can't find a bug report on it, and testing on 3.3.0, it does work in both cases.

In fact, I have 3.2.3, and it seems like it works in both cases there.. So.. My guess is that there were changes between 3.2.2 and 3.2.3.. This all rings ALOT of bells for me, but, I can't remember the details on it.. I remember hitting this in the past, and it wasn't coded to handle viewing the topic.. Now, if you switch it so that the user can't access the forum, you can see that it gives the message.

My recommendation would be to get to either 3.2.3, because I could test it on that, and it works there.. My guess is that either I put a bug report in about it or a customer made the suggestion in feedback and it was changed between 3.2.2 and 3.2.3

--
Jason Hanna
Invision Power Services, Inc.

#28 paw

paw

Lookin for Maw

• +Clients
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

By Accident more than good luck, when trying to add to my forum description ( as in your teaser ) i decided to take the latest post a truncate it and add that / then a link to the post beneath / I know it is not in the same vein as your lock and sell teaser but it does act like a latest post for that forum per say. I would also like to see if the upper level has sub forums that those sub forums also have the latest post showing and the upper one shows the most recent of the combined sub forums.?

it does really tease them to look deeper into the forum and makes a great alternative to a static description, now just to see if I can get a hook made / make them by hand with a html editor for now ? open for comments.

Attached File  teaser 2.png   144.55KB   35 downloads

• svit likes this

#29 The Guy

The Guy

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

If I may suggest....

What if you guys could put that setting into a much higher tease? For example, you may allow users to "read" the post but only bits of it. Like allow them to ONLY read the first 12 characters and have it say Sign up to read more! link. But it would make a good mod if you ask me.

Example

Hello Fellow Community,

I would like to present to you the most ultimate way to get members involved in your community and guild. By doing these simple yet long steps in the following, I guarantee you'll be rolling in success in no time... so the first thing to do is.... Sign up for free to read more!

It would trick people to sign up. Of course for your sake there is actual content to be read and not just that.... But that was just an example.

A further explanation to this tease feature is to where the admin may set to either first first few sentences, or block links, or put a subliminal messages overwriting the posted words.

#30 paw

paw

Lookin for Maw

• +Clients
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

If I may suggest....

What if you guys could put that setting into a much higher tease? For example, you may allow users to "read" the post but only bits of it. Like allow them to ONLY read the first 12 characters and have it say Sign up to read more! link. But it would make a good mod if you ask me.

Example

It would trick people to sign up. Of course for your sake there is actual content to be read and not just that.... But that was just an example.

A further explanation to this tease feature is to where the admin may set to either first first few sentences, or block links, or put a subliminal messages overwriting the posted words.

The above example dooes that if the forum is a private forum / then as in the intial ops post you use the message to gain the tease / sign up
  • The Guy likes this

#31 The Guy

The Guy

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

The above example dooes that if the forum is a private forum / then as in the intial ops post you use the message to gain the tease / sign up

Whoops, I must of missed your post somehow, that's weird. Well I strongly agree with that idea. :P

#32 paw

paw

Lookin for Maw

• +Clients
  • 646 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Whoops, I must of missed your post somehow, that's weird. Well I strongly agree with that idea. :tongue:

low stress champ / yes all is good and look forward to getting a hook up and running for it as soon as I can / if possible (which seems to be ok)

#33 kosmit

kosmit

IPB Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

This is not really healthy approach for our web site, if guest can not see the topic, google crawlers can not index it as well...

#34 cma

cma

IPB Newbie

• Visitors
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:51 AM

Ok I admit I made up the term "teaser forums" just now. There is no such setting in IP.Board but you can create these by creative use of permissions. So let me explain what I mean.

In my very special definition a teaser forum is a forum that a visitor does not actually have access to but it still shows up on the listing. When they click into it rather than getting a not-so-friendly "Permission Denied" message they get a sort of sales pitch. You can have IP.Board display custom text to explain to a member why they should join so they can have access to this special, private area. Another approach may be a paid content area. Let's say you require members pay for access to certain sections of your community. Using the teaser forum approach you can show them what they're missing without actually giving them full access.

Here is a screenshot of settings in Manage Forums from our site:

attachicon.gifIP.Board_ > Forums > Forums.jpg

The first setting, Allow members who can see the forum but cannot read topics to see the topic list, is a bit confusing at face value but really all it means is that if a member does not have the "read" permission set for a forum IP.Board will, rather than just showing an error message, show the listing of topics in that forum. However, if a user tries to click into a topic they will then be defined access.

This setting is optional. If you have it enabled it shows a member what topics they could be reading if only they had access. It's a great way to entice people to sign up. If you do not enable this setting then the forum can still show to a user but they will be denied access without seeing the topic listing.

The second setting, Custom 'Permission Denied' Message, is your change to brush up on your sales skills. This is where you can offered the default, generic "permission denied" message and instead present some useful information and encouragement to join. Here on IPS Community we use this feature to explain to members that they have to be an active client to access certain sections.

Sure it's a simple set of features and sure I made up a whole new term today but using these simple settings can really increase your membership by showing people what they are missing.

In relation to the teaser forum settings, is there a setting somewhere that means we can set it as a tease for a period of time then allow user to read. IE: Each post is a teaser for 48 hours from post date then can be read by users?

#35 Ivo Pereira

Ivo Pereira

IPB Member

• +Clients
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:59 AM

This is such a great idea. A similar concept if I'm not in mistake is used by Quora(?).

Do anyone know if any mod is already applying this? If I have got some spare time, I wll try to do something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users