• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 joelle

joelle

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 795 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

It would encourage users to comment on blog entries if they would receive a notification when a comment has been made to your own blog entry, or when someone commented to a blog entry where you commented before that.
  • Cheapy, surferboy, Alfa1 and 1 other like this

#2 changeindia

changeindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

yes, agreed, it would be great.
  • CallieJo likes this

#3 surferboy

surferboy

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

@joelle:

when a comment has been made to your own blog entry

I thought that part of the notification system already existed. It does in 3.14:

" New comment notification?
If enabled you will receive an e-mail when a new comment is posted on your Blog."

I

ip board 3.3.4

ip content 2.3.5

ip blog  2.6.1

ip chat 1.4.3

ip calendar 3.3.3

-----------------

Super News Feed 4.1

Portal 1.2.0

RSS Management 1.0.9

ProMenu 3.0.5

Social Groups 2.0.5

Track Members 1.0.0

Classifieds 1.2.1

Mandrill Bouncer 1.0.1

#4 joelle

joelle

Spam Happy

• +Clients
  • 795 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

In IP.Board 3.2.3 you won't get notified when someone commented on your blog entry.

#5 CallieJo

CallieJo

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 381 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

This is a must. We have business users with private friend only blogs that are asking why they are not getting notified of comments made to their blogs. This is not good. They are actively posting entries and find it a daunting task to leaf through all their entries for new comments made that need approvals.

We really need notifications for this and anything else related to comments across all apps. How else are people to know there are comments? Especially comments needing approval. This makes no sense not to have notifications. Please consider the end users and make it usable and simple for them.
  • surferboy likes this

#6 surferboy

surferboy

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

yes, I could not agree more and especially because I really feel that blogs are a wonderful medium for a news outlet for people and groups as opposed to news on an ipcontent layout, for organizations. I just do not find the news forums compelling. ... and CallieJo makes a huge point about the need for approval, if that is enabled.
  • CallieJo likes this

ip board 3.3.4

ip content 2.3.5

ip blog  2.6.1

ip chat 1.4.3

ip calendar 3.3.3

-----------------

Super News Feed 4.1

Portal 1.2.0

RSS Management 1.0.9

ProMenu 3.0.5

Social Groups 2.0.5

Track Members 1.0.0

Classifieds 1.2.1

Mandrill Bouncer 1.0.1

#7 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

$life=FALSE;$code=TRUE;$time--;

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

We simply ask for a standard regarding comment notifications throughout ALL official applications...... do we not?
I NEED to be notified when someone comments on my file(review/w/e).
I need to be notified when someone comments on my blog entry, and Content Owners/submitters need to be notified of database comments.
Same for Gallery image Comments, these feedback forums are littered(do not take this wrong, I mean there's a lot, not that it is in any way trash) with the same exact request, comment notification standardization.
We get notifications of Topic replies.... what is so completely different regarding these apps that such a much-required item is not core?
And what is the POINT of following the item in the first place if it effectively does nothing? "Follow to receive notifications on updates" states blatantly that by following the item, any updates to it, including comments should trigger a notification, as of now, this is simply not the case in any of the mentioned applications... all it is at this time is a count of "followers", and serves no purpose, except in the singular case of downloads, where it serves the purpose of stating a file was updated....... really not ideal nor intuitive at all when I and any normal user would expect comment notifications for any item we "follow".
  • Alfa1 and CallieJo like this

#8 Cheapy

Cheapy

IPB Full Member

• +Clients
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

Comment noitifications should be available across all IPS apps.
  • CallieJo and Marcher Technologies like this

#9 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

Comment noitifications should be available across all IPS apps.

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/360812-comment-notifications-put-it-in-the-core/
/rantend
/ideaon
  • CallieJo likes this

#10 CallieJo

CallieJo

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

People boast about FB and Twit, just as they use to about Myspace. Yet those same people who enjoy how those sites actually work, will shoot down any idea here that relates to how those same sites function that make them so usable.

Long before those sites were even thought of, you had webmasters suggesting the same or similar features in forum platforms. It's almost laughable if it weren't so sad. Those who weren't around back then, actually think we are all trying to "copy" those sites...now that's laughable!

The main focus & importance of such sites is notifications on content (whether it's friends' updates, fanpages, etc.) you follow and content that relates to you on a personal level (comments on your updates, comments on your pics, etc.). It's simple really...Give the end users what matters most to them...Notifications on content they care about!

The way notifications work in IP.Board, should also work in all apps. It's really hard for end users to utilize all apps when it's hard to know what's going on in each one. Comment notification is a must. A must across all apps: http://community.inv...it-in-the-core/

What do I tell people when they ask me why they haven't gotten any notifications of comments added to their blog entries? What do I tell them when they say they didn't even know there were comments that needed approval and feel like the comment poster thinks they are ignoring their comment? What do you say? It's a bug?
  • surferboy likes this

#11 surferboy

surferboy

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Okay, I have already said I am still in the dark ages in 3.14 which did have the 'receive notifications for comments' blog management feature and that was apparently removed for 3.2.x + .... but there is a "follow this entry" in the blog system right now ... so it's not like there isn't a follow system in place, right? The only thing missing is an automated setting for received notifications for all blog entries. So unless you're telling me that people can't "follow" their own entry, then there is a system in place ...

ip board 3.3.4

ip content 2.3.5

ip blog  2.6.1

ip chat 1.4.3

ip calendar 3.3.3

-----------------

Super News Feed 4.1

Portal 1.2.0

RSS Management 1.0.9

ProMenu 3.0.5

Social Groups 2.0.5

Track Members 1.0.0

Classifieds 1.2.1

Mandrill Bouncer 1.0.1

#12 CallieJo

CallieJo

Advanced Member

• +Clients
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

So unless you're telling me that people can't "follow" their own entry, then there is a system in place ...

Please don't tell me you would then suggest all admins to go around telling every member who creates a blog to go around clicking the follow button on every single entry they make...

Having a system of some type in place is one thing. But, if it's not practical that's another thing. Would you not agree?

That would be like telling all fb and twit users to click a button on every single update they make in order to get notified when someone comments. It's just not practical unless it's another member's content you want to follow. Even Wordpress notifies users when comments are made to their own entries. There is no need to click a follow button every time they make an entry.

I personally don't believe that end users should have to make an extra step like this. It just makes perfect sense that they would get notified when a comment is made. Without having to click follow on all their own entries.

I'm not going to tell end users to click the follow button on "all their own entries" to get comment notifications. It sounds silly like there is something wrong with the website and we have no fix. Ugh...just when I thought IP.Blog was going to work for us since IPB added in friend only options. Very disheartening...But it's my own damn fault for not paying closer attention to the smaller needed features, I guess. I get IPB and other community platforms mixed up at times in what they each offer.

This was not targeted at you personally. I'm just frustrated here with this issue.

Sorry for the rant...Have a splendid week*

#13 Marcher Technologies

Marcher Technologies

• +Clients
  • 11,717 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Please don't tell me you would then suggest all admins to go around telling every member who creates a blog to go around clicking the follow button on every single entry they make...

Having a system of some type in place is one thing. But, if it's not practical that's another thing. Would you not agree?

That would be like telling all fb and twit users to click a button on every single update they make in order to get notified when someone comments. It's just not practical unless it's another member's content you want to follow. Even Wordpress notifies users when comments are made to their own entries. There is no need to click a follow button every time they make an entry.

I personally don't believe that end users should have to make an extra step like this. It just makes perfect sense that they would get notified when a comment is made. Without having to click follow on all their own entries.

I'm not going to tell end users to click the follow button on "all their own entries" to get comment notifications. It sounds silly like there is something wrong with the website and we have no fix. Ugh...just when I thought IP.Blog was going to work for us since IPB added in friend only options. Very disheartening...But it's my own damn fault for not paying closer attention to the smaller needed features, I guess. I get IPB and other community platforms mixed up at times in what they each offer.

This was not targeted at you personally. I'm just frustrated here with this issue.

Sorry for the rant...Have a splendid week*

I agree with a statement here... but the issue as it stands is not "auto-follow"(sooo hook-able) but this:
I don't so much mind the having to opt-in, i mind it not WORKING... and i mean simply just working across any app using it.
Telling your users to follow the item would do no good as of right now.... no notification, hence why it should be a single option across the suite(receive notifications of comments on content I follow)

#14 surferboy

surferboy

Needs Serious Help

• +Clients
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Okay, I get it but ... there may be more here than engineering convenience, i.e receive notifications of comments on content I follow. It may be that a strategic decision was made that commenting should be structured more as just that, to make comments on a blog or a news article but not to turn it into a discussion like a forum topic.

Do Yahoo news articles and other news sources that offer comments on content encourage the 'follow content.'

Sometimes multiple commenting can encourage online bullying that actually alienates community participation. http://www.marshall....ine-communities

ip board 3.3.4

ip content 2.3.5

ip blog  2.6.1

ip chat 1.4.3

ip calendar 3.3.3

-----------------

Super News Feed 4.1

Portal 1.2.0

RSS Management 1.0.9

ProMenu 3.0.5

Social Groups 2.0.5

Track Members 1.0.0