Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ready to buy now...Just have Quite a few questions.

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi, I am Micah!

Potentially interested in buying IPB license today but I am sort of conflicted between IPB and Xenforo.

As it is I simply love the look and feel of Xenforo. It's very smooth and we test drove it briefly and the members love the Facebook/Twitter aspects of it.

However at this point and time it is still sort of young and finding it's footing and for about 35 bucks more, I get a more mature platform with IPB but there are a few things that I am interested in asking as well as things that concern me.

1. I see that IPB also has a Facebook/Twitter like feature for their software? In your honest opinion(I do expect bias), how would you compare the twitter/facebook aspect between the two.

2. Virtual Store....On my current SImple Machines forum, we have a store where members can buy various things(Name changes, special color, ranks, etc etc).

The more they post on the site, the more points they get and they love it.

Xenforo as this point and time does NOT have a virtual store. Does IPB?
If so what is the modifcation called

3. Chatbox

I realize that the chabtox with IPB is about 30 bucks for about 50 users and I very well may look into that.

However, I currently use Ajax Chatbox with my SMF forum and I have been searching through google for a way to integrate it with IPB and i can't find it.

I don't want a shoutbox because a shoutbox really isn't a chatbox. It does not show who is online like a chatbox would nor does it have a lot of features a chatbox might have.

I've seen on both XF and IPB shoutbox mods and I was not impressed by what I saw. Any suggestions as to a good chatbox?
Arrowchat & Cometchat ARE good but i want something if similar to Ajax chat(besides IP chat)

4. Speed Wise
I've been looking and looking at various IPB forums and it seems like there is some sort of lag as the site loads up and navigation. It is not HORRIBLY SLOW but it is noticeably and this is more than 10 different sites I've looked at it. Most XF forums i've noticed are faster

Any reason why this maybe?

5. Notfications

With XF, the software automatically by default tells you if someone posted in a thread you made or liked your post. Is this also possible in IPB?

6. Big Boards

I am looking for some nice, big boards with nice themes because it seems like most of the themes i have come across on various sites are a bit...busy and just not impressive so I am concerned about themes for IPB. XF does have a very attractive look but it seems as if my interest in XF is more superficial which is whY I am hoping there are at least some sites that look as good as XF does in default form.

7. Odds & Ends

Is there a way to make Member group colors uniform across the forum? Meaning if admins are red, Super Mods are blue and Mods are pink.....no matter where you see their name/link in the forum it will show their color.

My SMF forum has this an this is an easy way to let people know who is who and what they can do.

8. SEO and Resource usage

My biggest concern is SEO complaints. I hear that a lot of people are pissed for the reason of SEO. Something about IPB is causing people to lose traffic on their forums.

In comparison, i hear that XF is quite good in this aspect.

I don't want to lose traffic from my forum but people have noted anywhere form 20-60% decline with their IPB forums.

Also, I hear that IPB is very resource intensive meaning it can cause a strain on Shared hosting vs XF is less Server intensive.

9. Topic Title Preview
Is there a way to make it type the topic title above as I am typing it? I actually thought that was really cool on XF. It would literally type the title as I am typing it in the little box.

Like I said, I am ready to buy right now but I'd like these questions answered(Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure i am choosing the right investment)

Thanks for your time!

Posted

2. IbEconomy App is what you are looking for on that one.

Posted

Lot of questions - let's hope I can answer them for you

[quote name='Forever Young' timestamp='1331750470' post='2240615']
1. I see that IPB also has a Facebook/Twitter like feature for their software? In your honest opinion(I do expect bias), how would you compare the twitter/facebook aspect between the two.

I'm afraid I'm not at all familiar with how Facebook or Twitter work with Xenforo, so I can't comment on that. IP.Board allows users to link their Twitter/Facebook accounts to their forum account (which in turn allows users to import their status, profile data and profile picture from the social networks to the forums, and to push their status updates out to the social networks), to login and/or register using Facebook/Twitter, and to share content to Facebook/Twitter.

These capabilities cover most users' needs in my experience. If you are wondering if IPB can do something specific let me know.

[quote name='Forever Young' timestamp='1331750470' post='2240615']2. Virtual Store....On my current SImple Machines forum, we have a store where members can buy various things(Name changes, special color, ranks, etc etc).

The more they post on the site, the more points they get and they love it.

Xenforo as this point and time does NOT have a virtual store. Does IPB?
If so what is the modifcation called

We have a proper store module called IP.Nexus which allows you to sell items. It can optionally integrate with IP.Downloads to offer digital downloads for sale. It is designed primarily for actual monetary transactions, however. It was not specifically purposed for a virtual store system.

There are third party "point" and "store" modifications here that may suit what you are after

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2732-e32-ibeconomy-points-system/
http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2670-ipoints-system-302/ (this one appears to be out of date)

[quote name='Forever Young' timestamp='1331750470' post='2240615']3. Chatbox

I realize that the chabtox with IPB is about 30 bucks for about 50 users and I very well may look into that.

However, I currently use Ajax Chatbox with my SMF forum and I have been searching through google for a way to integrate it with IPB and i can't find it.

I don't want a shoutbox because a shoutbox really isn't a chatbox. It does not show who is online like a chatbox would nor does it have a lot of features a chatbox might have.

I've seen on both XF and IPB shoutbox mods and I was not impressed by what I saw. Any suggestions as to a good chatbox?
Arrowchat & Cometchat ARE good but i want something if similar to Ajax chat(besides IP chat)

We previously supported integration with AddonChat and ParaChat. Those providers may still offer out of the box IP.Board integration, although last I checked they used Java or Flash. I am not aware of any third party AJAX-based chat scripts besides our own that integrate with IP.Board out of the box.

It should be noted that we offer a free 5-user chat room with your license, which you can use before purchasing a larger package.

Searching the marketplace, this may be of interest to you: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4888-irc-chat-32/

[quote name='Forever Young' timestamp='1331750470' post='2240615']4. Speed Wise
I've been looking and looking at various IPB forums and it seems like there is some sort of lag as the site loads up and navigation. It is not HORRIBLY SLOW but it is noticeably and this is more than 10 different sites I've looked at it. Most XF forums i've noticed are faster

Any reason why this maybe?

Being honest, I rarely notice much speed difference between most paid forum systems with stock installations on the provider's websites. I do not notice any lag here, for instance. Once a user gets their hands on the software, they may install hooks, custom skins, extra javascript calls (for ads or analytics, for example), or they may try running the software on an under-powered server. Also, keep in mind, an established product like IP.Board is going to have many more features and options (which a user may or may not enable) than a newer product such as Xenforo.

There are simply too many factors to comment on this, especially without bias. We stand by the performance of IP.Board, however. There are sites that run our software with more than 10 million posts and thousands of concurrent online users, and we constantly work with them to gauge ways to improve the efficiency of the software. We use local profiling tools to identify areas of improvement and constantly work on making our software perform as good as possible.

For 3.3 (which is in beta testing stages right now) for example, we've blogged about some performance improvements we've made: [*] IP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: Performance Enhancements [*] IP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: Archive System

[quote name='Forever Young' timestamp='1331750470' post='2240615']5. Notfications

With XF, the software automatically by default tells you if someone posted in a thread you made or liked your post. Is this also possible in IPB?

You can control the default notification options in the ACP for new users, and users can then further refine their notification preferences in their user control panel.

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications

Note that users are only notified of new replies to topics they have started (or any other topic for that matter) if they choose to 'Follow' the topic. This way, users can control on a per-topic basis if they want to be notified of replies (the Follow options are at the top of any topic page, including this one).

[quote name='Forever Young' timestamp='1331750470' post='2240615']6. Big Boards

I am looking for some nice, big boards with nice themes because it seems like most of the themes i have come across on various sites are a bit...busy and just not impressive so I am concerned about themes for IPB. XF does have a very attractive look but it seems as if my interest in XF is more superficial which is whY I am hoping there are at least some sites that look as good as XF does in default form.

There are over 500 skins in our marketplace, which you can view here: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/category/110-skins/
There are third party skinners who will create custom skins for you. You can browse a list here: http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/marketplace/custom_services.html

And finally, yes there are many "big boards" using IP.Board. You started by discussing big boards, but then started talking about the look and feel, so this is tricky - size and appearance are two different aspects, and what one considers "nice looking" another won't. That said, here are a few big boards - you can judge the appearance yourself, generally.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/
http://forum.canucks.com/
http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/
http://answers.oreilly.com/
http://www.neowin.net/forum/
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum

[quote name='Forever Young' timestamp='1331750470' post='2240615']7. Odds & Ends

Is there a way to make Member group colors uniform across the forum? Meaning if admins are red, Super Mods are blue and Mods are pink.....no matter where you see their name/link in the forum it will show their color.

My SMF forum has this an this is an easy way to let people know who is who and what they can do.

There is a third party hook that can accomplish this.

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/4914-tb-group-format/

[quote name='Forever Young' timestamp='1331750470' post='2240615']8. SEO and Resource usage

My biggest concern is SEO complaints. I hear that a lot of people are pissed for the reason of SEO. Something about IPB is causing people to lose traffic on their forums.

In comparison, i hear that XF is quite good in this aspect.

I don't want to lose traffic from my forum but people have noted anywhere form 20-60% decline with their IPB forums.

Also, I hear that IPB is very resource intensive meaning it can cause a strain on Shared hosting vs XF is less Server intensive.

SEO is a very "touchy" subject. All I can suggest is to read such comments with a grain of salt. There are a lot of people on the internet that don't understand what SEO even stands for, but will state how site or software x is doing it all wrong.

Again, without getting into debates about good or bad, all I can say is that we take SEO very seriously. Several blogs about our upcoming version 3.3 are dedicated to this subject: [*] IP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: SEO Improvements [*] IP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: Banning and more SEO tweaks [*] IP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: A few more SEO tweaks [*] IP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: Auto-share on posting [*] IP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: Microformat and Schema Updates / SEO [*] IP.Board 3.3 Dev Update: New SEO Tweaks Roundup

As for performance - again, we stand by our performance at the server level. Remember, in addition to developing the software, we host sites. It is always in our best interest to ensure the software functions as optimally as possible. We don't have the luxory of telling a user that a resource problem is a problem with their host, since we are both (in many cases).

[quote name='Forever Young' timestamp='1331750470' post='2240615']9. Topic Title Preview
Is there a way to make it type the topic title above as I am typing it? I actually thought that was really cool on XF. It would literally type the title as I am typing it in the little box.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this question I'm afraid. Can you clarify?

Posted

When you enter the "Topic Title" on the new topic page, XF types the topic title out in real-time onto the page in large formatted font eg.
"Ready to buy now...Just have Quite a few questions."

This is out of the text field and in the position were the actual topic title will show when the topic is posted. It's just eye candy, but really smart.

Posted

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions. I really appreciate that.

I am 98% sure IPB is where I wanna be at. It may not have the new factor that XF has(being that XF is still new) but the maturity and the community behind it seems like it balances out what shortcomings it may lack visually(to me).

As for my 9th question

Whenever you create a topic on a XF forum it gives a preview of what you are typing above the box. I'll attach a photo.
2ii7c44.png

Sorry if it is too big. It is not a major feature. But i do love the way that as I am typing in the box, it also shows what I am typing above it "live".
Gimmicky i know but really cool at the same time.

Posted

Ah, ok. No, IP.Board does not type out the topic title on the post form like that. It would be trivial to create a hook to do that, depending on how complex you wanted to get (e.g. IP.Board has bad word filters, and features like 'Stop shouting in topic titles' that you wouldn't easily reproduce via javascript and would need to be pinged to the server if you wanted to truly get a live preview of the end result).

Posted

[quote name='raindog308' timestamp='1331760070' post='2240689']
There's Facebook integration:

http://community.inv...ntegration-r662

...but I don't see any docs for Twitter integration. Does IPB support Twitter login?

This is outdated (and a new doc is already written and pending for approval), but there is an old one here:

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/tutorials/general-tutorials/twitter-connect-r349

Posted

Alright,

speaking with my fellow Co-Admins

we are now 80% IPB an 20% Xenforo

so by a majority vote we are going to give iPB a shot :) However, the host for our domain is crapping out on us.

500 internal service error on both our actual site and the hosting sites official page. Not a good impression for a host of 4 days or not.

So for now, we're sort of....siting here...waiting lol

Thank you guys!

Posted

Glad we could be of help. :) Let us know if you have any further questions.